Talk

Advanced search

White chocolate ganache - please help!

(5 Posts)
FringeEvent Wed 19-Sep-12 13:57:23

I recently made a chocolate and coffee marble cake with a white chocolate ganache topping - first time making a ganache, no idea what I was doing - I followed the recipe to the letter but it was far too liquid when I spread it over the cake, and it ran straight off sad

The recipe I used is below.

Could someone with a bit more knowledge than I have please help me adjust this, or just give me alternative ingredients/instructions, so I end up with a lovely thick spreadable ganache? I want to make this cake again to take into work on Friday, we're hosting a fund-raising coffee morning for Macmillan's World's Biggest Coffee Morning smile

• 100g good-quality white chocolate, finely chopped
• 80ml whipping cream
• 20g unsalted butter
Method: Heat cream and butter until hot but not boiling, pour it over the chocolate. Leave to stand for a couple of minutes, then stir gently until smooth and glossy. Leave to cool and thicken slightly, then stir gently. Spread over the cake.

I wonder if it just needed to be left to thicken for longer than the recipe states? It's pretty vague about how long it should take, I think I put it in the fridge for a couple of hours (the recipe doesn't actually mention refrigerating it - could this be where I went wrong?? Maybe I should have left it out on the side)

bacon Wed 19-Sep-12 16:09:42

Yes, you leave it until its spreadable or pop in fridge. It should be spreadable. You can also add icing sugar is you wanted a harder finish.

Saying that white chooclate isnt the same as dark chocolate and if white the recipe should be contain a higher amount of chocolate.

FringeEvent Wed 19-Sep-12 17:37:38

So do the proportions of chocolate to other ingredients seem wrong in the recipe? (I haven't made a regular chocolate ganache either!) I can't see how that much cream and melted butter would end up being anything other than liquid. I wonder if it's worth getting some spare white chocolate in case it just doesn't reach spreadable consistency, and I could then just melt the extra choc gently and stir it in.

Great tip on the icing sugar, I'll bear that in mind.

I've just realised I'm a week ahead of myself, I thought the event was this Friday but it's not til next week, so at least I've got time to get this right! Might do a practice run and use it on some cupcakes.

nannycook Wed 19-Sep-12 21:42:09

Fringe i dont use whipping cream, its always double cream, big pot of cream, think its a 285ml pot, and always 200grms bournville or similar, when it gets cold its thick enough to pipe, ( i used it to pipe into profiteroles) nice!

tb Fri 21-Sep-12 22:49:28

I use 150g of plain choc to 65g butter. I let it cool a little and then whisk it with a balloon whisk until it goes the colour of milk choc or a little darker and then use it like a frosting.

You can just let it cool a little and then pour it over the cake.

I think the key is letting it cool enough so that it's still pourable but has thickened a little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now