Talk

Advanced search

Madeira Cake Recipe - Aga

(7 Posts)
Jules2011 Sat 15-Sep-12 21:05:19

Hi

I have started a sugar craft course and need to cook a Madeira cake. I have an Aga and can't seem to find a recipe online. Anyone got one? Tips gratefully received.

Is it worth splashing out on an Aga Cakebaker? £90 is a lot but will buy one if it really works.

Thank you

catsrus Sun 16-Sep-12 00:27:37

Just use any old recipe and have a go - I've used an Aga for 18 yrs and have no special equipment, for that kind of cake I would put the shelf on the floor of the top oven (assuming a two oven Aga ) the cake on it and the solid metal tray shelf on the runners above it to protect from heat. I would assume it would take less time than the recipe stated and might have to be finished off in the bottom oven so it didn't burn.

Jules2011 Sun 16-Sep-12 08:10:34

Thank you - I will give it a try. Always done regular sponges/cupcakes and they have been fine but when I was trying to find a recipe I kept reading how in a two oven Aga you would need a Agabaker to make the slow cooking cakes work, so had a mini panic! But you can't argue with 18 years experience!!

tb Fri 21-Sep-12 23:00:55

Just make sure that your oven mit doesn't slip when you take the cake out. I have a scar on my right wrist from that happening - and I'd been using an Aga for about 12 years when that happened.

8 years further on, I now have a 4-oven one, so that solves that problem.

Feckbox Fri 21-Sep-12 23:09:40

you do NOT need the aga cakebaker

mrspink27 Sun 23-Sep-12 14:14:15

Will find you an an aga specific recipe if I can...

mrspink27 Sun 23-Sep-12 14:22:53

Got it... No AGA cake baker needed.

175g softened butter
175g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 eggs
110g plain flour
115g self raising flour
1-2 tablespoons milk
2-3 thin slices lemon peel

Grease and line the base of an 18cm (7inch) deep round cake tin.

Place the butter, sugar, vanilla, eggs and flours in a mixing bowl and stir until evenly mixed and light.
Add a little milk, if needed, to give dropping consistency.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin.

For 2 oven aga (no cake baker) put the tin in the large tin and cover loosely with foil and hang the tin on the second set of runners from the bottom of the roasting oven.Watch that it doesnt get over cooked on the sides. If that begins to happen, change the roasting tin or put a cold baking tray underneath the cake after 40 minutes..

Slide the cold shelf onto the second set of runners from the top of the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Pull out the cake and lay the lemon peel slivers on top of the cake.
Return to the oven and bake for a further 20-30 minutes, until the cake is risen, golden brown and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cool the cake for 10 minutes in the tin and then turn onto a wire rack to cool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now