Advanced search

Jo Wheatley...a passion for baking

(17 Posts)
BlackberryIce Sun 09-Sep-12 21:19:58

has anyone got this?

Just bought it ( sainsburys £8)

Yum!

bacon Sun 09-Sep-12 21:26:05

Not keen, have many baking books and so much on the net now. Please give us feedback on any brilliant recipes.

BlackberryIce Sun 09-Sep-12 21:40:38

Lemon drizzle traybake with her mascarpone topping was excellent. Also made the raisen/oat cookies for lunchboxes tomorrow.

I ditched a load of cookbooks when I divorced,so it's a new collection for me.

fruityoatybar Mon 10-Sep-12 14:31:12

Got it = not tried any recipes yet - will report back!

nannycook Tue 11-Sep-12 21:00:30

I like her, she's a homely type cook, however i've not tried her recipes.

UnChartered Tue 11-Sep-12 21:02:47

i follow her on fb - her posts seem so humble and friendly

her pictures are mouthwatering

not sure if i need another baking book (but has that ever stopped me grin )

BlackberryIce Tue 11-Sep-12 21:18:56

I follow her on twitter... She is nice. Wonder if any of them are mumsnetters?

Doing some more of her recipes this weekend. I made the custard creams from her book and they were eaten before I could tweet her a pic!

ColumboIsMyHero Sat 15-Sep-12 11:39:07

Made the valentine chocolate heart shortbreads for wedding anniversary. Only didn't get them off the baking tray in time so they all broke. Oops. Made cheesecake with them as the base instead. (They were yummy and very crisp, but I thought a bunch of broken hearts might make DH think I was telling him something...)

fruityoatybar Thu 27-Sep-12 09:09:47

Reporting back! Baked the Chocolate Chip cookies yesterday. I had read rave reviews about these and to be honest I was really dissapointed. They were very, very bland and also the texture was gritty as she uses demarara sugar. There are much better recipes out there.

Also tried the Cornflake crispies (made with rice pops). My two boys loved making these and the flavours were excellent.

Think I will give her Danishes a go at the weekend.

unsureunderneath Thu 27-Sep-12 09:32:03

How hard do you think the dough will be too make for the famished? Been thinking about making them as well

unsureunderneath Thu 27-Sep-12 09:33:02

Danishes not famished! Autocorrect is daft on this phone!

fruityoatybar Thu 27-Sep-12 09:50:48

I am not sure but I saw Ed Kimber at the Cake and Bake show on Sun and he did a "quick" danish pastry recipe. Its on his blog. I think I might try that instead!

http://theboywhobakes.co.uk/2012/05/cinnamon-rolls/

fruityoatybar Thu 27-Sep-12 09:58:33

In fact will try both - not at the same time (obviiously) and compare.

unsureunderneath Thu 27-Sep-12 12:41:44

Let us know which one is better

fruityoatybar Sat 06-Oct-12 21:37:46

OK hello - Right reporting back. I made Edd Kimber’s “20 minute” croissant dough last weekend. Taking into account the work and the time spent this produced a lovely light pastry. I made the cinnamon whirls. It was very little faff compared to traditional Danish pastry and it used plain flour rather than strong so it was quite light. “20 min” doesn’t take into account the time to prove and rest etc.

Jo’s Danish pastry was more work and the result? Well disappointing again. It used an obscene amount of butter and produced a reasonable but very, very rich Danish. I made her pecan swirls. They were good but one mouthful is enough to give you a coronary and now I have a freezerful of the stuff. Again there are much better recipes out there. I think I will make again but with half the butter.

So anybody else tried anything from the book?

CakePops Mon 08-Oct-12 21:33:19

I looked at her Danish recipe but was put off by the amount of butter.

Which is the best danish recipe you've found fruity?

fruityoatybar Tue 09-Oct-12 16:32:11

Cakepops - not found an ideal one yet! Going to keep trying different ones out. How about you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now