Talk

Advanced search

I need a foolproof scone recipe!

(17 Posts)
Kirk1 Mon 30-Jul-12 00:40:06

I don't think I have ever managed successful scones,(not that I remember the last time I tried) and DS1 wants to bake scones for a competition on Saturday. Please help!

joanofarchitrave Mon 30-Jul-12 00:45:10

225 grams flour
45 grams baking margarine or butter
1 tsp baking powder
some milk

Preheat oven to 200 C. Get out a cutter and a baking tray. Measure the flour into a bowl and add the baking powder. If you are using cold butter, grate it into the flour. If using margarine or room-temp butter, just chuck it in. Rub the fat into the flour until like breadcrumbs.

Get a table knife and pour in a bit of milk, mixing up with the knife. Add a bit more, keep mixing. then a bit more. Put the knife down, mix with your hands to get a nice ball of dough.

Put ball of dough on floured surface. Shape and pat down a bit so it's reasonably flat, but don't roll or make it too thin - it should be a good inch/2cm high. Cut out scones (dip the cutter in flour if the dough is slightly too sticky).

Bake for 10 minutes, check; more likely to need 12 or at most 15 if you don't have a fan oven.

joanofarchitrave Mon 30-Jul-12 00:45:51

Allegedly this amount makes 12 scones but I have never known it make more than 6.

RealityAlwaysWins Mon 30-Jul-12 00:53:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RealityAlwaysWins Mon 30-Jul-12 00:56:21

Kirk1 Mon 30-Jul-12 00:59:57

Ooh, I didn't have a food processor last time! I wonder if the handling thing is why I have trouble with pastry too...

DS1 is 8 and is already showing signs of being an instinctive cook smile I'm trying to encourage him!

Kirk1 Mon 30-Jul-12 01:03:45

Thanks for the advice so far! I should have mentioned, they have to be savoury scones. Colour me blush

RealityAlwaysWins Mon 30-Jul-12 01:06:42

lolalotta Wed 01-Aug-12 07:17:43

Did you know scones can be frozen uncooked???? grin

Grumpla Wed 01-Aug-12 07:34:30

They can?!? That is good to know - I never get through a whole batch and it would be good to have some in standby.

I was coming on to post about using the food processor too, totally foolproof. I use it for pastry as well.

If you don't have one though, you can improve anything that needs handling / rubbing in by dipping your hands in very cold water for a few mins to cool them down.

My mum has permanently chilly hands and makes the best pastry ever. Bit of a shock when she tries to tuck your labels in for you though!

lolalotta Wed 01-Aug-12 19:34:51

Yup, they can...just need a few minutes longer in the oven! Really handy! ALSO I freeze welsh cakes and cheese straws uncooked too....
I use trex in my pastry, I like whole meal flour too, do you think this combination would be possible on the food processor????

lolalotta Wed 01-Aug-12 19:35:33

I use 50/50 plain to whole meal flour when making it by hand...

Flakita Fri 12-Oct-12 15:13:08

The Delia recipe. I'm sorry, I love Mary Berry but don't trust her recipe for scones. I've made the Delia one (just google Delia scones, it comes up) twice and they've been received by ecstatic guests. I'd never made scones before but thought I'd do it for dh's 40th. MIL was positively gushing about my scones and believe you me, that does NOT happen very often! shock

Flakita Fri 12-Oct-12 15:14:34

http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/baking/how-to-make-scones.html

Flakita Fri 12-Oct-12 15:18:55

Sorry to go on, should add that the first time I made the scones I bought buttermilk but the next time I just made it by mixing 1dstsp of lemon juice with one cup of milk.

bluebird68 Fri 12-Oct-12 17:41:21

Makes 12

350g self-raising flour, sifted
100g butter, softened
100-115ml milk

Preheat the oven to 190C. Grease two baking trays. Rub the butter into the flour, working as quickly and lighty as possible with cold hands. Add enough milk to give a soft, bread-like dough. On a floured board, roll out to a thickness of 1.5cm and cut into rounds with 6cm cutter. Place on the prepared trays and bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden and well risen. Remove from the oven and lift on to a wire rack to cool.

the trick is to handle the dough as little as possible. I make the above in a half quantity then literally pat it out with my hands into 2 rounds then cut each round into 3 or 4 pieces and place on baking tray. If you use a cutter best to use a super sharp metal one. Try not to re roll but if you do those won't be as nice so keep back for own consumption. I've also made with buttermilk but find this recipe is so easy and just as nice.

www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/apr/22/how-to-make-perfect-scones

bluebird68 Fri 12-Oct-12 17:42:31

don't make them too thin!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now