Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of Kathryn?

(82 Posts)
PlodTheToastie Thu 01-Jul-10 10:45:26

Too boring or pretty and under-used? Was thinking Kate for short.

Also like Katrina but not sure if everyone will immediately think hurricane!

BornToFolk Thu 01-Jul-10 10:54:30

I don't like that spelling, it always looks a bit abrupt to me. Katherine/Catherine is lovely though.

PlodTheToastie Thu 01-Jul-10 10:54:52

Or is Katherine nicer? Any thoughts?

PlodTheToastie Thu 01-Jul-10 10:57:21

Ahh x posted sorry! thanks for the input BornToFolk

emmyloo2 Thu 01-Jul-10 11:18:08

I think Catherine is absolutely gorgeous. I don't like the spelling of Kathryn as much.

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 01-Jul-10 11:26:58

I don't like this spelling - it looks rather old fashioned imo (very 70s name, like Sandra, Jayne, Karen)

Prefer spelling Katharine (is dd's middle name)

Kathleen123 Thu 01-Jul-10 12:25:22

I like Kathryn.

Hedwig3 Thu 01-Jul-10 12:58:45

Katherine would be my favourite spelling.

crumblequeen Thu 01-Jul-10 13:40:41

Love it spelt Katherine or Catherine - one of the top 3 for me this time.

mamsnet Thu 01-Jul-10 13:44:39

How nice to see somebody asking about a name which will still be lovely in 20/ 40/ 80 years!!

Can't see that spelling is relevant, personally..

EsmeWatson Thu 01-Jul-10 13:45:17

Catherine is beautiful. Don't like Kathryn / Katherine spelling at all - completely changes the name for me. No idea why, just my preference??

MrsJohnDeere Thu 01-Jul-10 13:49:46

Like Catherine or Katherine a lot, but really don't like that spelling.

AlCrowley Thu 01-Jul-10 13:56:53

DD (6 months) is Catherine. Had to be that spelling for some reason I can't really put my finger on.

Katherine would possibly have been a better choice as I'd much rather NN her Katie, Kitty or Kate than Cat, Cathy but I just liked the look of it written with the C more.

She was delivered by a lady called Cathryn who was chuffed to bits as she'd been suggesting the name to people for years she said but no-one ever took her up on it.

2plus2more Thu 01-Jul-10 13:58:26

I'm a Kathryn and I really don't like it. When I say it people always ask "with a C or a K?" I have to respond "with a K and a Y" which just confuses them and I have to spell it out for them every time. Funnily enough my parents chose the spelling because they thought it would be easier for me and everyone else to spell!!!

Rafi Thu 01-Jul-10 13:58:49

AlCrowley, my sister Catherine calls herself Catie if that helps?

AlCrowley Thu 01-Jul-10 14:10:49

That does, thanks Rafi. I knew she could be Cate and wondered if Catie would work so it's good to know that it does.

We call her 'Jellybean' at the moment

CantSupinate Thu 01-Jul-10 14:16:59

DD best mate is a lovely 8yo Kathryn; she goes by Kathy for short. I like all the nicknames a lot too, you rarely hear them nowadays.

gypsycurlytots Thu 01-Jul-10 14:43:50

My middle name is Catherine. I always hated it when I was younger but now I quite like it. My mother chose it because my grandmother was called Kathleen, which she thought was too old fashioned but I love it now and am considering it for bump!

Just13moreyearstogo Thu 01-Jul-10 14:45:43

I love Catherine but I suppose if you want Kate for short then Katherine makes more sense. Very pretty name however you spell it.

PlodTheToastie Thu 01-Jul-10 15:23:48

Thanks everyone.

Mamsnet I love names that don't go in or out of fashion too. DS name will still be used in a hundred years time (I hope!) so wanted dd's name to compliment that. I don't like modern names very much at all so was hoping Katherine wasn't thought of being too out dated to be taken seriously now.

Thank you for all the input re the spelling. Def want the name Catherine but how we shall spell it remains to be seen! Most probably Katherine. Thanks again.

stinkypinky Thu 01-Jul-10 15:30:29

I am a Kathryn, and nearly always have to spell it again and again as people only listen to the K and make up the rest. I love it, and as far as I am concerned, it is still the best spelling smile

I am 41 btw.

JimmyTarbuck Thu 01-Jul-10 15:32:34

It's lovely. Simple as that.

EricNorthmansmistress Thu 01-Jul-10 16:13:52

Am Katherine. A million times nicer I love my name by the way, have always been the long version but I know Kates, Katies and Kathys and they all seem like very different names. Very versatile, and classic without being overused (at least not now, early 80s is a different story!)

5DollarShake Thu 01-Jul-10 16:59:57

Another one who really prefers Catherine to Katherine or Kathryn.

LuluF Thu 01-Jul-10 17:02:10

Me too - I prefer Catherine. Kathryn's a bit seventies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now