Talk

Advanced search

Arianwen?

(76 Posts)
MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Sat 10-Apr-10 21:35:32

What do you think? I am welsh, DH is not, not living in Wales at the moment.

lljkk Sun 11-Apr-10 13:21:13

How do you say it (phonetically, English spelling)?

bronze Sun 11-Apr-10 13:23:18

I like

bronze Sun 11-Apr-10 13:24:09

arry-(a)n-wen

JackieNo Sun 11-Apr-10 13:28:10

I like it too.

hmc Sun 11-Apr-10 13:30:01

It's okay - go for it

ozmetric Sun 11-Apr-10 17:22:51

It's a bit of a mouthful, prefer Anwen.

Greensleeves Sun 11-Apr-10 17:25:04

It means silver spider

like the Jenny Nimmo novel

I love it personally

SoupDragon Sun 11-Apr-10 17:32:41

It's nice.

potteringon Mon 12-Apr-10 11:28:16

Love it.

Was top of my list but decided against it in the end as neither me or DH are Welsh so wasn't sure if I could get away with it.

You can - you lucky thing!

hellymelly Mon 12-Apr-10 11:41:09

Does not mean spider,means silver white,so nice for a fair child.I think its lovely but I am Welsh.

Spidermama Mon 12-Apr-10 11:45:09

It's OK but a bit of a mouthful. Very tricky for most people to spell and pronouce. DS one has a name which is tricky to spell and pronounce and it's wearing because people mis-pronounce it then get embarrassed.

That said when I ask him how he feels about this he says he doesn't mind and he loves his name and loves the fact that there's only one of him.

Arianwen sounds to me like the kind of name JR Tolkein might use for empress of the pixies or something.

Fliight Mon 12-Apr-10 11:47:28

People will say it wrong, it took me a few seconds to realise it wasn't 'Arian-wen'

rather than ari-anwen

I think I prefer a shorter version tbh.

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Mon 12-Apr-10 13:29:52

Thanks for the responses. I think it is the most beautiful name ever, and if I remember rightly the spider in the book had a lovely personality so that doesnt put me off.grin

I know what you mean about bit of a mouthful, but I thought it could maybe shorten to "wen"

I hadnt thought about the meaning as I'm not a Welsh speaker. DH is Indian, so child wont be fair. Do you think it would be an odd choice for a mixed race girl? I guess then Bronwen would also be out for the same reason sad

Kneazle Mon 12-Apr-10 13:39:08

I love it like Greeny says reminds me of the Snow Spider, wonderful book.

Kneazle Mon 12-Apr-10 13:42:43

Could you shorten it to Ann ?

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Mon 12-Apr-10 13:52:17

That's a good idea Kneazle, Ann would work.

Is it just me or does "empress of the pixies" sound pretty damn cool smile. That would definately make me go for it! But still worried about the meaning now...

lotster Mon 12-Apr-10 13:56:38

It sounds quite Lords of the Rings. smile

MrsBadger Mon 12-Apr-10 13:58:27

I know one, it's pretty, nicer than Anwen imo

I like Arianne as well

JackieNo Mon 12-Apr-10 16:20:21

I think the girl I knew, when she shortened it, shortened it to 'Ari', but that might sound a bit like 'Harry' hmm.

migola Mon 12-Apr-10 19:50:23

I like it, but then I am welsh grin
you could shorten it to Ani (Annie) maybe if you wanted to. agree with JackieNo that Ari sounds a bit like a cockney Harry

moondog Mon 12-Apr-10 19:55:27

It's lovely and not hard to say at all.
Why shorten it to some non descript mono-syllabic name if you want to call her this?

The lack of effort peopel put into pronouncing names properly is staggering.I knew a Geraint who had lived in England for years and lt everyone call him 'Grant' because apparently 'they couldn't say Geraint'.

I'd make bloody well sure I answered to nothing but my name in such a situation.They woud soon get it.

hmm

helyg Mon 12-Apr-10 20:02:19

I think Arianwen is a lovely name, it makes me think of The Snow Spider by Jenny Nimmo too (I loved that book as a child).

I have a dark haired sister called Bronwen, so don't let the fair haired bit put you off. Although Bronwen is actually the Welsh for Weasel whch gave me hours of amusement as a child...

I have a Welsh name, and it drove me mad when I went to university in England that nobody could say it properly. But people do eventually get used to how to say it!

zaidagal Tue 13-Apr-10 10:51:28

absolutely love Arianwen.....love most welsh names.....I say go for it!

PeasPlease Tue 13-Apr-10 11:03:01

I know an Arianwen (I'm in Wales) and think it is lovely, as does everyone else. Not sure how it would go down outside of Wales though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now