Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Rowan

(37 Posts)
denisej Sat 20-Mar-10 14:55:24

Just wondering which gender everyone thinks Rowan belongs to? My DH and I love the name but I would consider it a boy's name and he would think of it as a girl's name. He's all for picking the name for whatever we have! I currently have a DD and DS both with Irish names so any original ones of Irish origin (or names that have a similarity to Rowan) of either sex, that I may not have seen on here before, would also be most appreciated.
Thanks

OhDearYoda Sat 20-Mar-10 15:08:21

I went to secondary school with a boy called Rowan, but when I spoke of him to my mum she assumed Rowan was a girl.

So I think it's quite an ambigious name that doesn't really 'belong' to either sex.

Saying that, I do really like it

Maggie00 Sat 20-Mar-10 16:31:37

I have a female relative called Rowan and there is Rowan Atkinson of course, so to me it seems unisex, but without making a unisexy statement iykwim. So good choice if that's what you're after.

I love Diarmuid Patrick or Clodagh Maeve if you're sticking with Irish.

dizzydixies Sat 20-Mar-10 16:33:59

either tbh

if DD2 had been a boy she would have been Roan which is a nice alternative?

MiaWallace Sat 20-Mar-10 16:51:41

I think Rowan sounds lovely for a boy. Sounds like the male version of Rowenna

littleoldme Sat 20-Mar-10 16:53:41

I know a little boy called Rowan. fab name.

cece Sat 20-Mar-10 16:54:48

Either but for a boy I prefer Rohan. (sp?)

Maggie00 Sat 20-Mar-10 19:41:57

Rohan is Indian I think. Rowan is ... English ?

boodleboot Sat 20-Mar-10 19:44:06

Rowan is awesome....an also the name of the current archbishop of canterbury who is a thoroughly inspirational man to me.

janeiteisFedUp Sat 20-Mar-10 19:45:43

I love it as a boy's name (dd2 would have been it) but not for a girl.

mrsruffallo Sat 20-Mar-10 19:46:44

I only like it as a girl's name

pointydog Sat 20-Mar-10 19:57:40

I think it's a name for either sex but I only love it for a girl. Don;t like it for a BOY AT all

blogpage Sat 20-Mar-10 20:41:23

I think it's a very unisex name.

DebiNewberry Sat 20-Mar-10 20:47:07

girl

thirtysomething Sat 20-Mar-10 20:51:30

have known boys and girls with that name. Isn't it one of those truly unisex names like Lesley, Frances/Francis etc?

janeiteisFedUp Sat 20-Mar-10 20:52:38

Bah - and I usually agree with you Pointy. You disappoint me... wink

boogywoogy Sat 20-Mar-10 21:04:33

Ds is called Rowan and so I obviuously love it!

I know of one other boy called Rowan and two girls. I think it is a truly unisex name but I prefer it for a boy.

denisej Sat 20-Mar-10 21:28:17

Thanks to all for your opinions and good to hear on the whole that it works either way. I had thought about that change of spelling suggestion myself for a boy so maybe that's the way to go!

MrsvWoolf Sat 20-Mar-10 23:52:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Sun 21-Mar-10 06:26:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

weegiemum Sun 21-Mar-10 06:32:58

I think it gets pronounced differently for boys and girls though, doesn't it.

So for a girl it would be Row-ann, with the Row pronounced like how, now,

but for a boy it would be Row-ann with the Row pronounced like row row row your boat!

At least that's been it with any I have ever met.

Most of the Rowans I have met, though, are dogs.

dawntigga Sun 21-Mar-10 06:48:19

Erm, being Pagan I'd avoid it like the plague regardless of gender and - for the same reason - Willow. Too many fluffy bunnies called their children either name for me to do anything except shudder.

DonsHardHatAndWaitsTiggaxx

JackBauer Sun 21-Mar-10 07:41:43

In my (extremely wink) close family there is a female Rowan and a male Rowan cousin. Both pronounced the same.
The pronunciation is a big issue TBH, lots of people assume that they are pronounced differently because fo the male/female thing but really it's a regional thing, either sex can have any pronunciation. But try telling people they are saying a name wrong. Very annoying.

Out fo curiouslty Tigga, we always thought it was a good thing as Rowan is the only wood a witch can't touch, so Rowan was 'safe' IYSWIM? Am not pagan though so happy to be corrected!

nighbynight Sun 21-Mar-10 07:41:54

why are Rowan and Willow out for pagans, tigga?

dawntigga Sun 21-Mar-10 07:58:32

Rowan for the tree - alleged magical properties (can't abide spelling magic with a k etc. either) and Willow for the same reason (also witch in Buffy).

RebelEvenInPaganCirclesAndThat'sQuiteHardToDoTiggaxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: