Talk

Advanced search

Ava but spelled Eyva

(44 Posts)
appu Mon 08-Mar-10 15:59:43

I am having my first baby (a girl) in June. We want a name that has an ethnic indian origin but is familiar in west as well.
I came across Ava which sounds lovely and has beautiful meaning in 'sanskrit' (our ancient language) but I want to spell it 'Eyva'.
Comments please.

ruddynorah Mon 08-Mar-10 16:01:57

why do you want to change the spelling? ava is a lovely name, and a lovely spelling too.

eyva makes me want to say 'ayerva'

Mutt Mon 08-Mar-10 16:03:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SusieCarmichael Mon 08-Mar-10 16:03:20

i wanna say eeeva, why don't you like ava?

Vivia Mon 08-Mar-10 16:04:02

No. Either call her Ava/Eva or use a different name. Yeva is my friend from Lithuania - Yay-va. Lovely.

MmeLindt Mon 08-Mar-10 16:05:17

Ava is lovely.

Eyva looks a bit strange, I am afraid.

LadyintheRadiator Mon 08-Mar-10 16:06:56

No. you - and she - will be spelling forevermore, for one thing.

And secondly it looks shit - sorry!

Ava is a beautiful name.

waitingforbedtime Mon 08-Mar-10 16:07:01

No dont do it. Ava is lovely. Eyva is, Im afraid, a bit chavvy.

MrsBadger Mon 08-Mar-10 16:07:16

madness

people will think you are stupid poorly informed

Ava is lovely

what does it mean in Sanskrit? I thought it meant 'down' but my Hindi/Urdu is rubbish

paulaplumpbottom Mon 08-Mar-10 16:08:24

She will spend her life having to spell it for people or constantly having her name spelled wrong. Ava is lovely.

appu Mon 08-Mar-10 16:16:23

Mrsbadger - in sanskrit it means 'ultimate/no alternative/certainly' the word 'shiva' is made of Shi and Eva. and also 'Satyam Eva Jayte' (the truth alone will conquer).
Well the reason I was thinking of spelling it Eyva is they will never pronunce it right in India if I spell it 'Ava'.
Thanks your comments are making me think.

MmeLindt Mon 08-Mar-10 16:42:48

Do you spend most of your time in UK or in India?

Our DC have names that our German relatives struggled with to begin with but soon learned out to pronounce.

RibenaBerry Mon 08-Mar-10 16:49:51

Do you spend a lot of time in India? If so, maybe the comments of a mainly UK based board aren't your best guide. But if you spend most of your time in the UK, I'd avoid that spelling. Eyva looks a bit odd and made-up.

MrsBadger Mon 08-Mar-10 17:47:59

hmm

how does Ava Mukherjee pronounce it?

appu Mon 08-Mar-10 17:53:41

MrsBadger = Don't know...had not heard her name till now although I have seen a couple of her films.
Ya we are mostly in UK.

appu Mon 08-Mar-10 17:55:19

MrsBadger sorry about the '=' sign.

elliott Mon 08-Mar-10 18:17:03

Am I missing something here? Is Ava a sanskrit name? In which case spell it as it should be spelt? Or does it simply 'sound like' a sanskrit word, and 'eyva' is the closest spelling in the western alphabet? In which case its not actually a sanskrit name??
Anyway I agree that Eyva will make it look in the UK as though you meant to call her Ava but didn't know how to spell it.

boodleboot Mon 08-Mar-10 18:40:45

PLEASE DO NOT RUIN THE BEAUTIFUL NAME AVA WITH THAT SPELLING......and breathe....wink

mazzystartled Mon 08-Mar-10 18:43:49

I'd want to say eye-vah, with your proposed spelling

Ava has more glamour.

SoupDragon Mon 08-Mar-10 18:48:06

Eyva is either EEEva or EYEva to me. If you want Ava, have Ava.

expatinscotland Mon 08-Mar-10 18:50:21

Crazzeee Laydeee sounds even better.

Ava lovely.

Eyva = ey up lass.

NNNN

swastayana Mon 08-Mar-10 18:53:54

But does a name have to be spelled the way it has always been spelled?
What about Ayva or will that sound like Aiwa?

Northernlurker Mon 08-Mar-10 18:57:31

Ava is a very nice name. Your idea is bobbins I'm afraid. If your relations won't manage 'Ava' then pick another name, don't make yourselves look dim and confuse people across two continents!

BigBadMummy Mon 08-Mar-10 18:58:28

hate it.

Love Ava. Can't stand poncey spellings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now