Talk

Advanced search

Thoughts on Herbert (herbie) James please?

(27 Posts)
Dinkytinky Mon 01-Mar-10 15:53:19

Hello everyone! I'm new so please be gentle lol! DP has designs on naming baby Herbert James (James is middle name) for family reasons but I'm not convinced! Think it sounds very old mannish and possible future bully target! I much prefer Jacob James. What do you think? Not forgetting I can't slag off the name Herbert as is his beloved grandfathers name.thanks!xx

booboobeedoo Mon 01-Mar-10 15:55:06

reminded me of James Herbert (author)!

fruitshootsandheaves Mon 01-Mar-10 15:55:49

Herbert was also my grandfathers name.
I don't like it
I agree with you that it sounds old mannish and I think if it gets shortened to Herbie he will get car nicknames, eg Beetle.
Jacob is much nicer.

campion Mon 01-Mar-10 17:04:37

FWIW my beloved grandfather was called Herbert but it never entered my head to inflict it on DS's ( sorry, I don't 'get' naming children after family members but I realise I'm in a minority).
Herbert would usually end up as Bert or Bertie in the UK. Bertie is rather popular in some circles

OTOH Jacob is lovely.Timeless.

remaincalm Mon 01-Mar-10 17:42:47

I love Jacob. Herbert is not great. Perhaps you could think of having it as another middle name. Jacob James Herbert? Or perhaps just don't use Herbert.

AllieW Mon 01-Mar-10 17:50:08

I could be persuaded by Herbert. Although I do prefer Bert to Herbie (Herbie is a car, IMO)!. The only really issue to me, although it probably would make little difference, is that Herbert used to be a mild insult to people of my parents' generation (eg. He's a right Herbert!). But it's pretty much only as bad as people saying they felt like a proper Charlie and that's pretty ubiquitous atm.

southeastastra Mon 01-Mar-10 17:51:45

i really like herbert! i bet jacob will be very popular (because of twilight) everyone will think you're a fan

SqueezyB Mon 01-Mar-10 18:47:33

Oooh, never considered it before but I like Herbie!

I honestly think with all the babies I have met since having DD with old man names like Alfie/Archie/Charlie/Arthur/Sidney/Hector etc, noone would bat an eyelid at Herbert or think it was old-fashioned, and I think Herbie is a really cool name.

I don't think anyone would think of the Beetle car surely, that film is ages old!

cjn27b Mon 01-Mar-10 18:56:55

I love Herbert. It was my grandad's name and as a young girl (aged 7) I called my first gerbil Herbert - at the time I thought this a great compliment to him, not so sure he thought the same...

Dinkytinky Mon 01-Mar-10 19:02:44

Ahh I never thought of the twilight reference! I've just always though of Jacob as a nice loyal sounding name.while we're on the subject ladies what do you think of ava jane or lilly jane for a girl?xxx

GuntherMcKilocodie Mon 01-Mar-10 22:35:18

I know a Herbie. Hated it at first, but it's a grower. Quite like it now. Herbert conjures up images of 'snotty Herberts'.

solo Mon 01-Mar-10 22:45:43

Was exfil's name...old, old, old. Not nice imo. sorry.

dizzydixies Mon 01-Mar-10 22:47:16

I love love love it

then again I also love Hugo/sidney/hector and Gilbert grin

I think Herb and Herbie are great nns

Pofacedagain Mon 01-Mar-10 22:49:04

Herbie is quite sweet but is it a grown man's name? I guess it could be shortened to Herb. Sounds like a jazz musician, quite good.

Pofacedagain Mon 01-Mar-10 22:50:18

But not Herbert James. James Herbert is a horror novelist.

usualsuspect Mon 01-Mar-10 22:50:21

Awful ..baby Herbert is just wrong

MollieO Mon 01-Mar-10 22:51:48

I used to have a hamster called Herbert grin.

LittlePushka Mon 01-Mar-10 23:01:58

I love Herbie - ! I love any names just a little bit fringe. Find james a little bit ...dull (sorry!)

mathanxiety Mon 01-Mar-10 23:51:26

I actually like it -- it's very unusual.

I know a Jacob Hamish, which I think sounds better than Jacob James

Curiousmama Tue 02-Mar-10 20:21:25

how far on are you dinkytinky?

KAEKAE Tue 02-Mar-10 20:43:52

Don't mind Bertie but not Herbie

hester Tue 02-Mar-10 20:57:28

I know a baby Herbert.

Not for me, I must admit. Jacob I love.

If you go for the H, make it Herbie and say it's after Herbie Hancock. Now, he WAS cool. (Probably doesn't have much currency in the primary school playground, though.)

Or, if you really must commemorate grandad, how about Bert? Still not really to my taste, but probably cooler (in a revival-of-old-gents'-names kind of way) than Herbert.

mrsvwoolf Tue 02-Mar-10 23:57:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

442442 Wed 15-Jun-11 18:22:24

I called my son Herbie, 2yrs old, and love it! I didnt want him to be one of 5 Jacks or Georges in his class, but still remains traditional and not made up or "trendy". Some names are so common now, if you call your child out in public lots of kids look up wondering if its them you are calling! My son is a cute cheeky chap who knows exactly what a VW Beetle looks like, and hey if hes known as the love bug when he is (much) older I would say theres a lot worse he could be known for!! I do not understand people who worry about what everyone else thinks, its their baby and you are never going to please every one, Why follow the sheep???

zukiecat Thu 16-Jun-11 14:47:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now