Talk

Advanced search

Where do I register my baby?

(5 Posts)
LissyGlitter Wed 11-Nov-09 10:13:44

We live in Washington, which is technically part of Sunderland (but nobody actually ever goes to Sunderland if they can help it) but the baby will be born in Gateshead. Where will we register her birth? With DD they did it in the hospital for us (but it was different area and hospital anyway), but I hear that this has been stopped now.

Dp is quite keen for it to be Gateshead, apparently this would make her a Geordie, as opposed to a Mackem, which people round here seem to think is of vital importance...

sb6699 Wed 11-Nov-09 12:07:52

I had to register DD2 in the county of her birth (where the hospital was) rather than the county we lived in.

3LegsandNoTail Wed 11-Nov-09 14:06:16

I think it's supposed to be at the nearest registry office to the place of birth. When my ds was born in Durham, we had to register him at the Durham City office, not Bishop Auckland where we lived. The hospital should give you a print out of all the birth details and it has the registry office details on it.

sb6699 Wed 11-Nov-09 14:14:43

I did it in the registry office where we lived though and they sent the form off to the office it needed to go to and we got the certificate about a week later through the post.

Place of Birth was def where the hospital was though. Which makes DD2 an "Essex girl" wink

MrsJohnDeere Wed 11-Nov-09 14:26:15

I had to go through a few minor hoops to register my dcs where we live rather than where they were born. In practice it meant the Registrar had to fill out an extra form and send all the paperwork to the other Registry Office and we were sent the birth certificates a week or so later, rather than being given them there and then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now