Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is this hormonal madness?

(31 Posts)
crumpette Sun 08-Nov-09 12:28:50

Baby boy due soon, DH wants 'James' I am just about prepared to compromise on James, but I have suddenly fallen in love with the following as a middle name- Cosimo

Is that plain cruel? grin

Thissideofchannel Sun 08-Nov-09 12:55:45

I love Cosmo and actually prefer it to James smile.

Kadiya Sun 08-Nov-09 12:56:07

hmm
I've never heard of the name Cosimo...where is it from, what does it mean and does it go with his (potential) other names?

MrsWoolf Sun 08-Nov-09 13:01:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Thissideofchannel Sun 08-Nov-09 13:03:29

Just found this on Wikipedia:

The boy's name Cosmo

is of Italian and Greek origin, and its meaning is "order, organization, beauty". Italian form of Cosimo (Greek).
Cosmo has 3 variant forms: Cosimo, Cosme and Kosmo.

MaggieMonday Sun 08-Nov-09 14:06:16

Well I like it, but then I like Jago, Bruno and Roscoe as well.

MamaLazarou Sun 08-Nov-09 14:48:37

Cosimo is brilliant! I also like all MaggieMonday's suggestions. Not hormonal silliness at all: they are strong, classic-sounding names that are refreshingly different without being too wacky or made-up-sounding.

MamaLazarou Sun 08-Nov-09 14:49:14

(James always sounds like a plural to me... One Jame, two James)

hmm

MrsVik Sun 08-Nov-09 15:59:11

Is it the same with Thomas, MamaLazarou?

I personally wouldn't choose Cosimo, but if you like it, go for it! Love James as a first name, I think you can definitely afford to be a bit more 'out there' with a middle name

crumpette Sun 08-Nov-09 17:51:51

back- thanks for opinions, I am surprised they are generally not all that negative!

MNetters, you may have just bestowed Cosimo/Cosmo on an innocent child grin

(or maybe everyone on here is hormonally impaired hmm smile)

I guess I figured that with James as a first name, middle name could be a bit, um, different...

edam Sun 08-Nov-09 17:57:37

Seems OK as a middle name although wouldn't be my personal choice. Can imagine some stifled giggles at his wedding though when the vicar reads out his full name. grin

allaboutme Sun 08-Nov-09 17:58:17

sounds great! nicer than james imo grin

CristinaTheAstonishing Sun 08-Nov-09 18:06:23

Cosmo is silly. Cosimo is sillier still. Hormones!

Cosima for a girl, on the other hand, is rather pretty.

JANEITEluddite Sun 08-Nov-09 18:17:09

James is lovely. Cosimo is silly imho.

doubleexpresso Sun 08-Nov-09 18:18:14

How posh are you ? If you're posh I think you can get away with it grin I love it. One of Mary Wesley's characters. Also love Inigo. I, unfortunately am not posh, so couldn't have got away with these sad

UnrequitedSkink Sun 08-Nov-09 22:26:05

I love Inigo. It reminds me of The Princess Bride - "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." grin

bellissima Mon 09-Nov-09 08:35:00

Cosmo (not Cosimo - starts to sound like Quasimodo fine as middle name. I personally prefer James but you have given him a more exotic choice of name to use, should he so wish.

girlsyearapart Mon 09-Nov-09 08:52:45

Have taught a few Cosmos.. Always thought bit weird and pretentious and much prefer James.

Not as bad as Nemo though- have taught one of them.

Ok (barely) as a middle name but please not as a first name!

MamaLazarou Mon 09-Nov-09 09:22:50

No, it's not the same as Thomas, MrsVik. I think it's something to do with the 'es' at the end that does it: see also Miles, Giles and Piers.

tammy234 Mon 09-Nov-09 10:49:47

I really like Cosmo! And prefer it to James, which is a little dull imo.

crumpette Mon 09-Nov-09 18:58:52

doubleexpresso, I don't know how posh I am grin is there a universal poshness scale? I have been accused of having a plummy voice and live in a bit of a poshish part of london but I don't consider myself as posh, happy to eat heinz soup and wear a jumper with holes in (current activities) certainly not quentin-daaaahhling posh

hmm, then again could sounding silly and posh make a silly name even sillier?

hmm hmm hmm wouldn't want to wander into pretentious wannabe yummymummy land (how hard is baby naming!!??)

I also quite like Inigo, am thinking I need 2 middle names both equally hated by DH if he is to have James as first name. grin

any further suggestions welcome!

thisisyesterday Mon 09-Nov-09 19:03:15

i love cosimo and cosmo

but make it his first name!

thisisyesterday Mon 09-Nov-09 19:04:46

oh yes Inigo very nice too, both cosmo and inigo were on my names list for ds3

what about:
Gabriel
Asa
Otto
Tobias
Lucien
Nico
Lars
Soren
Noam
Jago

mathanxiety Tue 10-Nov-09 14:57:19

I love it. I think it might even be great as a first name.

annasmami Tue 10-Nov-09 15:33:18

crumpette, can I just say that I am wearing socks and a jumper with holes in them (well, sometimes blush), we don't live in London, let alone a posh part, in other words we are certainly not posh, and our son is called Quentin smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now