Talk

Advanced search

Rowan- girls or boys name?

(39 Posts)
CarryOnDancing Fri 06-Nov-09 13:16:37

I love this as a girls name, and I know someone with it but DP is convinced it is only a boys name after only meeting male Rowans and will therefore not consider it for our bump.

Opinions on this and use of name please.

Firawla Fri 06-Nov-09 13:19:50

Its unisex, you would see it on both
I think that spelling looks more male to me though, for a girl I like Roanne

LunarSea Fri 06-Nov-09 13:21:18

I know Rowan's of both sexes, so it's unisex as far as I'm concerned.

nickelbang Fri 06-Nov-09 13:22:16

it is a unisex name.

i know a boy Rowan, but i think it would be pretty on a girl.
but not a boyish girl.

daisyj Fri 06-Nov-09 13:22:17

Rowan is both. I only know girl Rowans, though. I think it's a lovely name. Famous lady-Rowan is Rowan Pelling, ex-editor of the Erotic Review - so you can tell your DH that!

I've never seen Roanne - I wouldn't know to pronounce that as Rowan tbh. I would think it was row-anne.

sweetnitanitro Fri 06-Nov-09 13:28:24

It's either. I love it as a girl's name, it was on my shortlist for a girl but DH said no.

abra1d Fri 06-Nov-09 13:36:05

Rowan is both. My SCottish husband says he knows it as Row-an pronounced to rhyme with now. I know it as Row-an to rhyme with go.

Lovely name.

Miggsie Fri 06-Nov-09 13:37:23

DH thinks it is a boy, I think it can be both...which is why DD did not end up as Rowan as DH kept saying "it's a boy's name"

Scotia Fri 06-Nov-09 13:38:59

I prefer it for a girl

GrimmaTheNome Fri 06-Nov-09 13:41:28

Both - I guess at the moment its particularly associated with blokes (Atkinson and Williams) though I think it sounds feminine.

theagedparent Fri 06-Nov-09 13:45:35

I know 5 boys called Rowan ( it is very popular here) and only 1 girl.

bonfirewithaheartofgold Fri 06-Nov-09 13:51:07

genuinely unisex i reckon, but i like it best for a girl. lovely name.

MrsJohnDeere Fri 06-Nov-09 14:00:24

Both, but I only know boys called Rowan.

Tommy Fri 06-Nov-09 14:03:35

DH has a cousin called Rowan - she is a girl. When he was talking about her coming to our wedding, I just assumed she was a boy grin so I guess it can be either!

discountmum Fri 06-Nov-09 14:13:23

It's a very pretty name, which I think of as unisex due to Rowan Pelling. My guess is that more people would think of it as a male name, so I think I might go for it as a middle name for a girl.

megseleven Fri 06-Nov-09 14:19:49

How funny, came on MN for the first time ever today with the hope of asking a similar question!
As far as I am aware it is a unisex name (Rowan Williams/Atkinson are the obvious male examples) but like you I only want to use it if we have a girl. I came on here to see how other people perceive it. There is a girl named Rowan in the film 'The Whicker Man' but was worried that a girl will be forever asked 'isn't that a boy's name?' Still, it seems from this discussion that most people see it as a unisex name so I think we will go for it if we have a girl, hope you can convince your DP as it is a lovely name.

CarryOnDancing Fri 06-Nov-09 14:26:25

Hmmm if only, not only do I have this hill to climb but I have another hurdle before any poss persuasion stands a chance- please see my other thread 'Lola?- Help with potential Family Feud!'

Glad my question could help megseleven, congrats!

sweetnitanitro Fri 06-Nov-09 15:43:41

megseleven- welcome to MN grin The Wicker Man connection is the exact reason that my DH wouldn't let us have Rowan. We've still only 1 DD at the moment so I may have another opportunity to persuade him!

sausagesupper Fri 06-Nov-09 15:48:02

girl

forkhandles Fri 06-Nov-09 15:49:21

unisex, I only know a little girl Rowan though

nowwearefour Fri 06-Nov-09 16:16:15

gosh would never have thought of it as a girl's name

CarryOnDancing Fri 06-Nov-09 16:23:13

I think this has highlighted a potential regional difference in the use of the name. Sadly not helping my cause!
Although DP works in recruitment in the Midlands and the Northwest and still claims to only have male Rowans on his books.

NorbertDentressangle Fri 06-Nov-09 16:27:22

The only Rowan I know is an adult male

(oh, and a shop, but I guess that doesn't count)

diddl Fri 06-Nov-09 16:30:22

It´s a name I´d avoid because it can be either/or.

MintyCane Fri 06-Nov-09 16:33:39

either

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now