Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

How weird (nice?) are those names for UK people?

(21 Posts)
mamaloco Thu 05-Nov-09 15:32:41

Hi, we have trouble as a familly to agree on names for our next DD. Even DD1 (almost 5) is set on some names. (actually we are all set on different ones) We also want to keep some of our heritage (i.e french, scandinavian/russian) Our familly name is british enough (actually v. british).
The short list is

Alexandra
Roxana
Roxandra
Natasha
Nadia
Sasha
Angelique (prononced Angayleeck)
Ombeline (prononced Ombuleen, u as in hurt)
Kari

Thanks

cluccles Thu 05-Nov-09 15:45:44

I really like Natasha, Nadia, Sasha and Angelique. Never heard Ombeline before and not too keen I'm afraid. Alexandra is ok but don't love it, not keen on Roxandra either.
Don't know the origin but one name I love is Katya (sp?), and also Saskia

Esmee Thu 05-Nov-09 16:13:41

I like Alexandra, Natasha and Sasha best.

Other suggestions:

Saskia
Anastasia
Anneli
Natalya

MrsJohnDeere Thu 05-Nov-09 16:17:53

I love Alexandra and Angelique.

edam Thu 05-Nov-09 16:20:48

don't like Roxana or Roxandra, sorry. Would be shortened to Roxie which is horrid (apols. to any Roxies out there...).

themildmanneredjanitor Thu 05-Nov-09 16:22:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

birdofthenorth Thu 05-Nov-09 16:28:46

I think Angelique would get pronounced an-jell-ique here, not with a hard 'g'.

Ombeline is nice but I think UK friends and teachers might struggle with it.

Like Nadia, Sasha and Kari

mamaloco Thu 05-Nov-09 17:23:36

Birdo I didn't even realised that the 'ge' would be a problem, it is prononced 'je'
DD1 is called Amandine Tatiana
Angelique is almost certain (I had it secretly from the start!)
DH will come around as he did with Amandine wink
I also like Alexandra and Sasha but it doesn't really go well with Angelique. DH like Nadia, I might get convinced (?)

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 05-Nov-09 20:25:36

Sasha, Natasha or Nadia would work fine in England .

PoppyIsApain Thu 05-Nov-09 20:28:06

I really like Nadia

Adair Thu 05-Nov-09 20:28:36

All fine IMVHO.

How is Ombeline hard to get?

hulabula Thu 05-Nov-09 22:16:04

I like them all, except for Sasha, which to is a boys' name, short for Alexander.

Beanigan Thu 05-Nov-09 22:19:34

I like Alexandra (Lexie for short?) and Nadia. Kari isn't too bad but not keen on the others, sorry.

mathanxiety Fri 06-Nov-09 02:32:31

Alexandra
Roxana
Roxandra
Natasha
Nadia
Sasha
Angelique (prononced Angayleeck)
Ombeline (prononced Ombuleen, u as in hurt)
Kari

Of them all, I like Natasha, Roxana and Angelique -- or would you consider Angelika? How about Elena or Lena?

nooka Fri 06-Nov-09 07:11:10

I think that given the diversity of names used in the UK, I'd not worry too much. I've met people with all those names except Roxandra and Ombeline. Your pronunciation for Angelique is different from the one I have come across and would expect, which has a soft "je" rather than the "gay" in the middle (she has Ghanaian parents). I think it is very pretty.

Merle Fri 06-Nov-09 07:20:02

I like them all but I think I like Ombeline the best (usually prefer names which don't end in an 'a'). Not difficult to spell or pronounce. Very good.

mamaloco Fri 06-Nov-09 07:24:28

Hi again,
Angelique is pronounced "AnJayleek" my mistake when I tried to spell it phonetically.
SaSha is for girls (short for Alexandra) SaCha is for boys (at least in France)

sunshineonarainyday Fri 06-Nov-09 07:29:52

I really like Angelique and love Amandine - gorgeous names!

victoriascrumptious Fri 06-Nov-09 12:39:03

The only ones I don't like is Roxana and Roxandra as they sound like 1980's prostitute names

Thissideofchannel Fri 06-Nov-09 12:42:09

I really like Natasha and Nadia.

To me Sasha is a boys' name too, probably because I've known several little Alexanders nicknamed Sasha (mainly German and Russian ones, though).

bellissima Fri 06-Nov-09 19:27:29

They are all fine for UK people, though not sure about Ombeline. To me sounds a bit like Obelisque somehow (well okay no it doesn't but reminds me of).

Angelique pretty. Am just thinking (teenage boys are vile etc) if she would get refs to 'lick'. But then you might neither be in UK now nor planning to be in UK when she is a teenager.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: