Talk

Advanced search

Jared

(30 Posts)
thisxgirl Wed 04-Nov-09 22:13:34

This deed is already done and registered but I'm interested in people's opinions nontheless because whenever people ask me his name in "real life", they respond to 'Jared' with a slightly blank expression.

I admit, I had my reservations. I didn't like any boy's names much. It's my DP's middle name so there are positive connotations there for me - and he is a strong-looking man so it makes me think of the name in that way...- but I think I used to think of it as a modern, Americanised name...or Australian, thanks to neighbours.

I was surprised to find out it first appears at the beginning of the book of Genesis - Jared is the father of Enoch - and its long heritage made me feel a bit better about it. I find myself explaining this to bemused people, as if trying to dig myself out of a 'chav' hole.

Anyway, is it horrible? Honestly?

catinthehat2 Wed 04-Nov-09 22:21:54

Like it, yes it is quite USAish, but never been sure how to pronounce it.

LaDiDaDi Wed 04-Nov-09 22:28:45

Oh it's not horrible. I actually really like it. I remember it was the name of one of my Bioogy teachers at school, I really liked him (def didn't fancy him) and he was a great teacher so very positive connotations for me.

JesusChristOtterStar Wed 04-Nov-09 22:31:11

i love it
i think of it as old english not chavvy

bumpybecky Wed 04-Nov-09 22:33:13

I only know one and he's lovely

I had no idea it was such an old name though, I'd assumed modern American too

thisxgirl Wed 04-Nov-09 22:38:10

Surfer boy Jared! I'm glad it's got some popularity here anyway.

lulahrose Wed 04-Nov-09 22:40:52

My brother is called Jared

hattee Thu 05-Nov-09 11:26:37

I went to school with a Jared, about 20 years ago. I think its a good name - unusual but with a long history.

I can't imagine why anyone would think it is chavvy. I think its awful how names are categorised in this way anyway. New mums (and dads for that matter) have enough to worry about without worrying that they have inadvertently chosen a 'bad' name

ginnny Thu 05-Nov-09 11:30:11

Not chavvy at all.
Makes me think of Toadie out of Neighbours though - his real name is Jared isn't it?

birdofthenorth Thu 05-Nov-09 11:38:15

It's lovely. I'd nickname him Jed sometimes maybe.

Had a massive cruch on Jared Leto about ten years ago so that's my main association!

Congrats.

lanismum Thu 05-Nov-09 12:16:05

Ds was very nearly a Jared, I joked to dp that I loved kings of leon so much I was going to call our unborn son Jared, he loved it and was desperate to use it, but in the end we went with Eli, we both still like it though smile

Bathsheba Thu 05-Nov-09 14:39:02

I love Jared and I suggested it to my DH...he turned it down but then his taste in names is nowhere near as good as yours or mine...

GrendelsMum Thu 05-Nov-09 20:18:13

I like it - classic but unusual smile

Zil131 Thu 05-Nov-09 20:25:30

I've always liked it; unusual but not wiered. However the Jared I knew broke my heart at age 16... (He was lovely!)

teameric Thu 05-Nov-09 20:33:53

mmm Jared from Kings of Leon , Jared Padalecki from Supernatural, I think i'ts a great name btw wink

giddykipper Thu 05-Nov-09 20:35:21

I like Jared, it was on my list.

ihatemyjob Thu 05-Nov-09 20:37:57

I really liked it but DH hated it. I always think of it as a biblical name. Some of the the previously less common biblical names (eg Seth, Rouben, Noah) always seemed more popular in the states but now are v popular here too.

BellaBear Thu 05-Nov-09 20:38:01

Jared Leto was in My So Called Life, wasn't he? One of those programmes you can never watch again as it would spoil it. He was absolutely gorgeous!

ihatemyjob Thu 05-Nov-09 20:40:22

I loved that show. Was he the gorgeous but thick one or the funny one with bad curly hair? Did you see freaks and geeks too? Lots of similarities.

Sorry v off topic!

BellaBear Thu 05-Nov-09 20:46:30

yes, sorry OP, too busy reminiscing about my teenage TV viewing blush

PS he was the ultra gorgeous one. dark hair

HeadlessLadyH Thu 05-Nov-09 20:50:22

Didn't know about the biblical connection, but Jared always makes me think of a Mills and Boon swarthy hero who always has bosoms heaving at him.

HTH wink

Teapot13 Thu 05-Nov-09 21:14:27

Funny, this just came up earlier this week on a thread called "American Baby Naming." To an American Jared is a very traditional name, although not that common. The OP has pointed out the biblical connection -- I think biblical names are generally more popular in the US than in the UK what with our Puritan roots. "Jared" evokes a pioneer image for me. BTW, the person I know named Jared was born in the 1940's and goes by Jerry. (Now it's also his grandson's middle name too.)

weaselm4 Thu 05-Nov-09 21:15:55

I love it. Not quite sure why it didn't make our short list actually..

MilkNoSugarPlease Sat 07-Nov-09 11:05:45

I love it!
I know a lovely Jaryd (prnounced same as jared) who is now known as "Jad" to everyone, but i even love that!

Lovely lovely name

ImaburningHEIFERgy Sat 07-Nov-09 11:23:15

I know a lovely Jared but most people call him Jed.

I certainly don't think badly about the name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now