Talk

Advanced search

Eliza

(21 Posts)
Brightfield Mon 02-Nov-09 21:12:55

Do you view Eliza as a name in its own right, or as a NN for Elizabeth?

Would you put Elizabeth on the BC?

Also, what do you think of the name?

StephHaydock Mon 02-Nov-09 21:13:56

Name in it's own right. Gorgeous.

I really like it as a name in it's own right.

TheFallenMadonna Mon 02-Nov-09 21:15:08

Either.

And I like it smile

teameric Mon 02-Nov-09 21:15:56

Lovley on it's own, but I really like Elizabeth too.

said Mon 02-Nov-09 21:17:34

Name in its own right. Elizabeth is lovely as well but you may not like all the other nns

bonjela Mon 02-Nov-09 21:18:14

My DD has Eliza as her middle name. Named after my great maternal grandma....lovely name in its own right..

Snowtiger Mon 02-Nov-09 21:19:20

Definitely a name in its own right, and I love it too.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 02-Nov-09 21:20:31

It's been a name in its own right since the early nineteenth century at least so it is perfectly fine to put it as such on the birth certificate and much more sensible to do so if you want the child to actually be called Eliza - Elizabeth is more likely to get shortened to one of the numerous other variants.

Msjudge Mon 02-Nov-09 21:20:54

I love this name, however, my friend from Africa has this name pronouced Ee--leeee- za and spent her whole school life correcting teachers who said Eee-lie-za.

Now I am assuming you mean Eleeeza yes? wink

Fab name both ways though!

RomanCandleJollster Mon 02-Nov-09 21:24:32

name in own right - my paternal grandmother... she was Eliza Sarah (surname Grace)

DD of the future for me, either Eliza Grace or Eliza Genevieve (my mum's name)

LOVE it - a bit more unusual than Elizabeth, and slightly more contemporary (and traditional at the same time).

LOTs of NNs, Betsy, Lizzy and so on.

MrsWoolf Mon 02-Nov-09 23:16:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JenJam Mon 02-Nov-09 23:24:29

i love it too and would have chosen it for a girl if we had one. I would have had same dilemma too, and would have seriously considered Eliza as nn for Elizabeth on certificate - we also liked Lizzie and Elizabeth so would have kept the options open. I really like Eliza in own right though too and think it's more of a statement

FlappyTheBat Mon 02-Nov-09 23:31:21

Eliza is so pretty, really nice name in it's own right smile

jellybeans Mon 02-Nov-09 23:53:14

Name in it's own right, bit too old fashioned for me.

Divatheshopaholic Mon 02-Nov-09 23:59:20

lovely, cute, classy but tradional

KERALA1 Wed 04-Nov-09 11:52:23

Love it. The one thing that put us off this one was that the child would join the growing ranks of Ellies. Hundreds round here.

EsmeWatson Thu 05-Nov-09 11:11:59

My 2 year old DD is Eliza - so love it obviously. So cute and suits her perfectly. Definitely a name in it's own right. I didn't even consider using Elizabeth as I feel it's a totally different name. Our Eliza is often shortened to Lizzie though, NEVER Ellie. Getting a tad popular over here in Aust but still gorgeous!

birdofthenorth Thu 05-Nov-09 11:21:56

Definately a name in its own right, but reminds me of Eliza Doolittle I'm afraid!

I prefer Elsa or Eloise but I'm not sure why.

PuppyMonkey Thu 05-Nov-09 11:23:33

What's the matter with being reminded of Eliza Doolittle? hmm

Gorgeous name!!

ImSoNotTelling Thu 05-Nov-09 11:27:01

Really nice name. PLus for me eliza doolittle = audrey hepburn and I struglle to find that a bad association!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now