Talk

Advanced search

James or Nicholas?

(23 Posts)
sockmonster Sat 31-Oct-09 11:20:52

Hello,

baby likely to arrive mid-december

DH wants James

I have hispanic/Italian background and go to France quite a bit and don't think James translates too brilliantly

I like Nicolas/Nicholas for that reason, Nicolas is French, Spanish etc and will be easy to pronounce for anyone

DH really really really wants James though he doesn't hate Nicholas. Likewise I don't hate James or particularly love Nicolas.

erm...

Help!! Thanks

RomanCandleJollster Sat 31-Oct-09 11:55:27

Think Nicolas is more interesting - sorry, know James VVVVVV popular, but not as distinctive.

prefer no "h"... think it's a flexible name through the ages, baby little Nicky, Nic/Nick when growing, Nicolas when PM or President grin

If comparomise needed Nicolas James, keeps both happy.

OR
Nicolas Luc is nice and European?

sockmonster Sat 31-Oct-09 12:03:18

Thanks roman I do like James, but DH already has 2 Jameses in his family and I have a couple distant relatives named it, whereas I don't know anyone called Nicolas.

I'm sure I can persuade him to go for Nicolas James..... as compromise hmm smile

Also, surname is only short one-syllable, I'm not sure James would work as well as a longer name...?

nevergoogledragonbutter Sat 31-Oct-09 12:08:41

I love the name James.

Would Richard or Robert work better?

sockmonster Sat 31-Oct-09 12:16:30

Hi, both names in use by family hmm do you think say, James Smith (not my surname but you get the picture) is too short?

pointyhat Sat 31-Oct-09 12:24:54

I much prefer James. Aren't there any other names that would translate better?

nevergoogledragonbutter Sat 31-Oct-09 12:35:56

I think james translates well in french.

Think of the way a french bond girl might say James with a soft J. s'lovely.

nevergoogledragonbutter Sat 31-Oct-09 12:36:25

I know a Seamus who grew up in france. I'm not sure it matters.

Stayingscarygirl Sat 31-Oct-09 12:37:11

I prefer Nicholas - mainly because I really don't like Jim or Jimmy, and that's what James will get shortened to. And whilst you can try to stop your dc's name being shortened in a way you don't like, it doesn't always work.

I wanted ds1 to be Christopher shortened to Kit, not Chris, as I dislike Chris intensely. Guess what all his school friends call him?

Lilymaid Sat 31-Oct-09 12:42:14

I like both (and have used both for one of my DS). Both are pan- European names but Nicholas is easier to use - Nicolas/Nicolo/Niklaus etc. Is James, Juan in Spanish, Giovanni in Italian?
They are both classic names. James was incredibly popular in the UK around 20 years ago.

Heated Sat 31-Oct-09 12:42:57

Have a soft spot for Nicholas.

Nicholas/Nicolas James would be lovely.

Stayingscarygirl Sat 31-Oct-09 13:03:24

That's a great idea, Heated. I wish I'd said that. sad

Ronaldinhio Sat 31-Oct-09 13:07:53

both nice royal names
james has it for me though

Heated Sat 31-Oct-09 15:59:59

Kit is very cool, I agree.

mathanxiety Sat 31-Oct-09 16:45:51

Nicolas is better for a baby born in December. I love Nicolas James.

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Sat 31-Oct-09 16:54:35

James

JenJam Sat 31-Oct-09 21:56:16

my partner is James, we only call him jimmy in jest, never seriously

I like the french version of Nicolas (without the S pronounced) and have a good swiss friend who is called Nico occasionally for short - Nick-o

I would like it myself for my son if it wasn't for not being french and having no right to french pronunciation!

Both are lovely names. nicolas pips to the post in being a bit nicer in french than James

sockmonster Sun 01-Nov-09 08:42:37

thanks ladies, smile pretty much 50-50 then!!!

I think Nicolas James ---- sounds better and would work better than James Nicolas ----, but DH really wants James so I may relent in the end hmm any thoughts on bribery? grin

nevergoogledragonbutter Sun 01-Nov-09 17:33:58

Bribery is a terrible name.

peanutbutterkid Sun 01-Nov-09 17:44:27

Both are great names .
I prefer Nicholas with the h, seems more standard/traditional. I think most people will try to spell it that way, it is a faff to say 'Nicolas with no h' every time.

lolianja Mon 02-Nov-09 07:12:29

My son is a James, with Nicholas as one of his 3 middle names. Both (my sentiments are gonna be obvious!) are great names.

Can't help but be a little biased towards James though. We call ours James, Jim and Jimmy in probably equal amounts but I only know of one other baby James known as Jimmy. Others are all Jamie if abbeviated.

QueenMercury Mon 02-Nov-09 08:16:24

James and Nicholas are both lovely names, use them both!

hattee Mon 02-Nov-09 08:40:23

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now