Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

opinions/suggestions

(17 Posts)
blondiep14 Sat 31-Oct-09 08:58:22

Baby 2 is due begining of January and I'm having real problems deciding on a name for a boy or girl. DS is Charlie, surname is a long name begining with R.
I'll bravely put up my very shortlists and see what the MN consensus is and if there are any other suggestions.

Boy
William
Joseph

I like Jack but not sure if it's uber popular still?
Can't have; George, Harry, Henry, Max.

Girl
Alice
Nancy

Can't have; Annabel or Harriett, Martha, Milie or Ruby but not keen on long names anyway as surname long.

Let me have it!

Hollyoaks Sat 31-Oct-09 09:01:53

blondie your boys names are the same as mine so like them both, Jack is still the number one boys name based on the lists I was looking at yesterday. I'm not so keen on the girls names but that's just my opinion, though we have considered Annabel and Millie is on our girls list. smile

RomanCandleJollster Sat 31-Oct-09 10:14:07

love William as DS name (actually he's a Billy for now). Joseph is a great name but couldn't use as too like mine... wink. (Love Charlie too, but don't like Charles, so stuck on that one for future DS2...).
Other names I'm considering for DS2
Finnian (Finn)
Rafferty (Raff)
Malachy (Mal)
Gregory (DB name)

NOT keen on Alice as was at school with a really annoying one... ridiculous reason.
My SIL is Nancy, and I really like it.
What about
Luisa
Clara
Eliza
Lola... wink

good luck..

blondiep14 Sat 31-Oct-09 10:24:33

We called DS Charlie, not Charles as knew we would never use it!

Our William would also be Billy I think, tho do wonder if Billy & Charlie would make people snigger/point to a not so white past?!
DP would shorten Joseph to Joey hmm whilst I would to Joe or JJ (planned middle name Jesse).
I love Seamus but DP hates it! Oh this naming business is so tough!

Glad Nancy has one vote at least! I remembered last week an Alice I worked with who was a total PITA but trying to not let that bother me as lst is already so short!

IControlSandwichMonkey Sat 31-Oct-09 10:30:16

They are all good solid traditional names. Yes Jack is still uber popular but William and Joseph are really quite popular too so if popularity bothers you, I'd prepare to meet several more as your potential ds grows up.

Nancy and Alice are both lovely names but again quite fashionable atm.

Nothing wrong with popular btw, they're popular for a reason.

VerityBrulee Sat 31-Oct-09 10:47:52

I love Charlie and Billy, and Charlie and Joe.

I'm not crazy about Alice, but LOVE Nancy smile

blondiep14 Sat 31-Oct-09 10:53:50

I am stuck in a quandry of liking traditional names but not wanting DS/DD to be one of billions in her school. I know Charlie is also quite popular but he was named after my Grandad so it wasn't an issue.

My out of the box names are Austin and Dulcie but I have yet to suggest to DP!!

thehills Sat 31-Oct-09 10:54:21

William and Alice are lovely.

RomanCandleJollster Sat 31-Oct-09 11:01:27

LOVE Charlie and Billy
think they go very well together
(Sarah Beeny's oldest DCs called this, she has 4 DSs! Wow!)

Charlie and Joe also good

Charlie and Austin? Not so good.
Charlie and Dulcie? Not sure.

Charlie and Nancy - yay!

blondiep14 Sat 31-Oct-09 11:35:44

LOL Roman, I have always wanted 4 DS's!!
Think I agree re Austin & Dulcie, don't go so well as Billy/Joe Nancy/Alice

Vivia Sat 31-Oct-09 12:22:53

William and Nancy are brilliant! My friend has two amazingly wonderful DCs called exactly this. Beautiful.

cloelia Sat 31-Oct-09 16:38:17

Nancy is a gorgeous name, very Arthur Ransome, wholesome in a lashings of ginger beer way; Alice is a bit more popular in my view. Go Nancy!

mathanxiety Sun 01-Nov-09 00:04:06

I love all four of your names. Jack is really, really popular.

jellybeans Sun 01-Nov-09 00:49:32

I like Joseph, Jack far too popular. Not keen on your girls names, sorry. Do you like Cara, Clara, Leona, Eva, Connie, Amy?

cheeseandeyeballsarnie Sun 01-Nov-09 00:57:55

love all 4 names.

i also love-
charlie and oscar
charlie and riley
charlie and finlay

charlie and sophie
charlie and rosalie
charlie and isobel

oh and esme

blondiep14 Sun 01-Nov-09 10:11:19

Thanks all!
I do like Cara, F's name! Eva I think we're going for as a middle name but not keen on the others. Well, i love Amy but we have just had one arrive in the family!

I think Charlie & Oscar are nice but remind me of something you might hear on a police radio!

I LOVE Esme but DP hates it!!

cheeseandeyeballsarnie Sun 01-Nov-09 12:27:40

forgot about policegrin maybe not!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now