Talk

Advanced search

Amabel or Annabel?

(26 Posts)
AKMD Thu 29-Oct-09 22:32:52

I want to use 'Amabel' as it's the old spelling of Annabel, but I really don't want people to think that our daughter has a made-up name. Spelling isn't so much of an issue as I can think of 3 common ways to spell Annabel so she's forever going to have to spell it out anyway. Middle name is Lucy. What do you think?

Lilyloooohhhh Thu 29-Oct-09 22:34:31

I would think Amabel was a mispelling

NintyZelda Thu 29-Oct-09 22:36:56

I would think it was a mis-spelling, never heard ir before but think it sounds a bit strange TBH.
BUT go with what YOU like smile

satonthesofa Thu 29-Oct-09 22:37:37

Sorry, never heard of Amabel. Would think it was a typo, as in nn squashed together, and would call child Annabel.

cat64 Thu 29-Oct-09 22:42:05

Message withdrawn

MrsTicklemouse Thu 29-Oct-09 22:43:54

do you mean anabel?? i think amabel is asking for a life of explaning spelling, which is very tedious, trust me i know!!

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 29-Oct-09 22:47:58

have googled Amabel and it means lovable

awwwww

but folks will indeed think it's a typo

Firawla Thu 29-Oct-09 23:24:27

I've heard of it before and I think it is much nicer than Annabel

paddy0 Thu 29-Oct-09 23:35:07

Amabel is wonderful.

Divatheshopaholic Thu 29-Oct-09 23:58:58

i wuld think amabel is mispelt name,too

GiraffeAHolic Fri 30-Oct-09 00:05:27

I think it's a lovely name but as others have said, people will assume it's a typo for Anabell (or any other spelling thereof)

JenJam Fri 30-Oct-09 00:26:17

I thought it was a typo too. sorry. i'm all for originality but she might spend her life explaining the origins of her name

MRSwereWOOLFhasabroomofherown Fri 30-Oct-09 02:59:19

Do you know it is only the likely source of Annabel.

Besides which, it is not a different spelling of Annabel, it is the probable source and it has a different pronunciation in any case.

<gets off soapbox>

diddl Fri 30-Oct-09 07:49:56

Might as well call her Amiable!

gorionine Fri 30-Oct-09 07:55:20

The French spelling is Aimable and I think it is rather mice as a name. I had a great uncle called Aimable though and do not know if it would be used for a girl.

Cortina Fri 30-Oct-09 09:48:54

I knew of Amabel as a name in its own right and am sure others will.

Annabella is the one I like.

Jojay Fri 30-Oct-09 09:53:21

Amabell sounds strange to me.

Annabella is lovely

iwascyteenagewerewolf Fri 30-Oct-09 09:55:33

Arabel.

MaggieBruja Fri 30-Oct-09 10:51:34

Annabel. Definitely. It looks nicer written down.

Even though I know that Amabel is latin for loveable, it looks a bit like Emaleigh to me. Just deliberately different.

If you want to be whacky and original don't pick Annabel. If you want to use nn Mabel just pick Mabel.

I love Mabel and I love Annabel, but Amabel doesn't gel in the same way.

Annabel Gracie runs better because there's no l l

bellissima Fri 30-Oct-09 10:56:09

Is Amabel Hebrew? (she says showing her ignorance - please feel free to correct me).

And didn't we decide that Annabel(le) was made up by Byron out of his wife's real names?

So then Amabel might be the 'real' name?

(Okay, I don't like Annabel(le) - belongs at the top of the Christmas tree with tinkerbelle imo. Go with Amabel)

EdnaWelthorpe Fri 30-Oct-09 11:14:41

Annabel is my 7 year old daughter's name; fairly certain Amambel is the Latin origin of the name Annabel and gradually the m became n. It means loved.

(Like Imogen was originally inogen meaning daughter.)

Annabelle the French Version is Anna+Belle and doesn't have the same origin. Anabel is Spanish and looks ok. The French Annabelle looks too much. Anabelle is illogical.

Annabel is 'unusual enough'. There are a few others about, but it's not so popular you need to start messing about with the spelling. Annabel looks the most normal.

Why don't you call your daughter Amelia Belle? That seems closer to the sound you want?

AKMD Fri 30-Oct-09 14:32:31

Wow, you all know a lot more about the name than I do! Thanks for your input on this. I've talked it over with DH and he started laughing and said that he has also been having some misgivings over Amabel with an M so he's perfectly happy for it to be Annabel... sigh.

Amelia Belle is pretty but it's too close to my own name.

MamaLazarou Fri 30-Oct-09 14:52:00

Nice name, but I am afraid it sounds made up, and your daughter would spend her life correcting people who think it's Annabel.

epithet Fri 30-Oct-09 14:54:37

There is an Amabel in dd1's class. I think it's a nice name, and her mum has never mentioned having any problems with it.

mumoftoomany Fri 30-Oct-09 14:56:18

Even though I love Annabel very much (and have a 7 year old one smile), I think Amabel is lovely (especially considering the meaning).

I also don't think that they sound alike, and you could shorten to Mabel if you liked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now