Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that the word chav is crass and overused in this talk section?

(83 Posts)
wrongun Wed 28-Oct-09 01:01:35

Chav and Chavvy, and they are always used by the same class of poster wink
Am I the only one sick of seeing this?

BunnyLebowski Wed 28-Oct-09 01:04:08

But how else (zipping up one's boden pintuck tunic) does one describe 'the others'?

Monsterspam Wed 28-Oct-09 01:07:26

It's better than "lower-class" or "peasant" wink grin

Missy8c Wed 28-Oct-09 01:07:31

LOL Bunny!

BunnyLebowski Wed 28-Oct-09 01:07:37

Of course one doesn't zip up a boden tunic. Ignore me in my errazuriz soaked state grin

What do you mean by 'class of poster'?.

BunnyLebowski Wed 28-Oct-09 01:10:47

To elaborate, one pulls it over one's immaculately coiffed do as opposed to zips. What was I thinking?!.

One wouldn't want to get a pull in the merino dahling smile

Quattrofangs Wed 28-Oct-09 01:10:53

I find the baby names threads the most hilarious threads on MN

Only in this section do you get posters wanting to call their sons Bear. And River.

Rofl

People need ENCOURAGING to post here, not being abused as chavvy

And most of the threads belong in classics

wrongun Wed 28-Oct-09 01:12:59

The 'class of poster' (ie lower-class or peasant grin) who use the word chav and chavvy and other vulgar terms of course. wink

Monsterspam Wed 28-Oct-09 01:16:26

They should be shot. I bet they're all single mothers on benefits anyway.

grin

nearlybeans Wed 28-Oct-09 01:22:31

Crass and overused?

1001cylinder Wed 28-Oct-09 01:31:05

Yanbu

nearlybeans Wed 28-Oct-09 01:36:06

A thread about a thread...

I don't like it myself - why don't people just say common? (If that's what they mean...)

Poohbearsmom Wed 28-Oct-09 01:39:34

Hehe yer so funny and at last i think i understand what chav means (since noone explained it for da poor Paddy earlier wink )

nearlybeans Wed 28-Oct-09 01:46:16

Actually, I find it all offensive. But especially the word "chav".

bwhoooaaraghost Wed 28-Oct-09 01:47:53

I'd say what I really meant.

It seems to be a lazy generic term used by the aspirational working classes in order to disassociate themselves.

Boden is not posh surely hmm

bwhoooaaraghost Wed 28-Oct-09 01:50:20

Barbour maybe.

MonstrousMerryHenry Wed 28-Oct-09 01:50:28

Sorry, am confused by the positioning of this thread. Are you suggesting Chav and Chavvy as baby names??

nearlybeans Wed 28-Oct-09 01:52:44

Ha! Depends who wears it... wink

nooka Wed 28-Oct-09 05:40:01

I'm not too keen on the term, but names do have connotations, and if you post for opinions, opinions is what you get.

Earthstar Wed 28-Oct-09 07:18:26

Perhaps there should be an autoresponse for all proposed baby names saying "yes that's lovely dear"

if you want to know what people really think then let them reply however they like.

GibbonWithAnAppleBobbingBibOn Wed 28-Oct-09 07:37:52

I had a long break from MN and came back recently. Have to say I was gobsmacked at how it is seemingly OK for such words to be bandied about on MN these days.

CantThinkofFunnyName Wed 28-Oct-09 07:42:01

CHAV actually means Council Housed And Violent. It was an abbreviation first used in Chatham, Kent - just for everyone's information. FACT.

And YANBU - winds me up just because I wish people knew what it actually meant before using the term.

VineGruesomeCock Wed 28-Oct-09 07:46:44

I hate the use of this word, especially on MN, but i guess some posters can't think of anything more articulate to say

As for this - 'They should be shot. I bet they're all single mothers on benefits anyway.' hmm same as above

MaggieBruja Wed 28-Oct-09 07:53:24

Chav doesn't mean council house or violent hmm. Some say it's an old romany word that just means child.

But wherever it came from, it just means deliberately flash, ostentatious, label-conscious. Chav people can live in a five bedroomed mansion.

I'm a single-parent on benefits fwiw, don't shoot me hmm but I don't see it as nasty to let people know that names they are considered may be perceived negatively by the rest of society. ALL things being equal, most people would rather give their child a name which won't be problematic or disadvantageous. If somebody offers up the chav adjective, well then at least the OP knows, even if they choose to ignore or disbelieve that comment.

DougalDoneGood Wed 28-Oct-09 08:08:55

"Some say it's an old romany word that just means child"

That's what I was told too. It's short for Chavioli which means child. No idea if it's true or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now