Talk

Advanced search

Carter for a boy?

(24 Posts)
hibiscuscreme Tue 27-Oct-09 23:47:14

What do you think?

We also like Harley and Finley. Carter is the one OH isn't sure about yet.

sargentpooper Tue 27-Oct-09 23:53:53

Hmmm not sure. I don't immediately hate it.

Harley is a bike!

chibswab85 Wed 28-Oct-09 00:05:38

All on the chavvy side.
Oh and Harley is a bike!!!

allipalli Wed 28-Oct-09 00:14:50

Carter is unusual to see as a first name. Ditto Harley.

Finley or Finn are fine if a little too popular.

How about Casper?

choosyfloosy Wed 28-Oct-09 00:16:49

Harley i like a lot.

Finley is great and/but very popular.

Carter I'm not that keen personally but there's nothing wrong with it. Afraid I just think of whatsit from ER which makes it sound American to me, or some old bloke with a pony and trap.

ghoulishgarner Wed 28-Oct-09 00:40:28

I know brothers who are called Finlay and Carter (the sister is Demi), both are great names. They are very common now. Not chavvvy.
Harley is unusual.

paticularbout Wed 28-Oct-09 01:27:36

A bit chav. Sorry.

nooka Wed 28-Oct-09 05:26:25

Carter makes me think of "Get Carter", which is not a good association in my mind (although a fab film). I don't like surnames as first names, so none of your choices are really my cup of tea.

Earthstar Wed 28-Oct-09 06:52:58

Carter is in the same league as Tyler. Harley is ok for biker roadie. Finlay is much better IMO

CantThinkofFunnyName Wed 28-Oct-09 07:45:02

I know a child called Harley (son of a former premiership division footballer I know) and my best friend's son is called Carter.

I thought they were both unusual when I first heard them. But like every name, you get used to it, particularly once its associated with a child, rather than babe in womb...

Finlay too popular I would say.

Jamieandhismagictorch Wed 28-Oct-09 09:34:29

Do not like Harley or Carter, mainly because they are surnames, and I personally don't like the surnames-as-first-names trend. I know a Harley and people often mistake his name for Charlie.

Finn is nice - getting more popular, if that matters to you

What about Asa or Evan ? - they have a similar "feel" to your names

rimmer08 Wed 28-Oct-09 19:14:49

i LOVE the name carter. its nice.

logi Wed 28-Oct-09 20:33:55

I like Carter

ja9 Wed 28-Oct-09 20:36:34

i like it

AvengingGerbil Wed 28-Oct-09 20:40:15

Carter - someone who carts things about/drives a cart. That's why it is a surname.

BabyDancer83 Thu 29-Oct-09 14:21:45

Carter's ok Finley's too popular and i knew a very very chavvy teenager who called her baby Harley and it ruined it for me. sorry

MuddledMum Thu 29-Oct-09 15:45:25

It might just be me showing my age but I always think of the band - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine! That and the chubby one out of South Park (I think they call him Cartman for short).

Harley I think of the dopey footballer out of Footballers Wives.

Maybe I should just stop watching trashy telly and listening to bad music!!

Despite all my random thoughts though I think your DC will inevitably make any name you choose their own and all these discussions only matter when you don't have a real life person/baby to associate the name with. I know quite a few friends/kids at nursery etc with names that if written down on a forum may look decidedly odd but knowing the faces behind the names have become downright cool and individual (and not in a bad way!)

Good luck.

Abubu Thu 29-Oct-09 16:40:50

Sounds a bit too American for me.
I would expect to hear it in a film. Or South Park...

GhoulsAreLoud Thu 29-Oct-09 16:42:21

USM

thesecondcocking Thu 29-Oct-09 16:51:49

unstoppable sex machine-sorry.
i am not keen on calling kids names of that 'ilk' ie surnames such as mason,miller,mackenzie etc. although a dear friend has a son called Cooper and it really really suits him.it was her maiden name btw

stressheaderic Fri 30-Oct-09 11:19:44

Know of a chav family with a recently-born Carter, to go with their Makenzie. Not for me, I'm afraid.

MamaLazarou Fri 30-Oct-09 15:09:22

Unstoppable Sex Machine

Ignore me - it's a great name!

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Fri 30-Oct-09 15:14:17

Sorry, I think it's horrible. I love Carter USM though!

OtterInaSkoda Fri 30-Oct-09 15:21:32

MuddledMum got there first with USM.
I do like it though, mainly though if there are associations 9family name, say).
Prefer Finlay to Finley but there are lots around here. Harley I like a bit too.
When I say a bit I mean I wouldn't bat an eyelid if a friend chose it - but it's a wee bit too similar to Harvey and there are hundreds of them in my neck of the woods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now