Talk

Advanced search

Shortlist

(15 Posts)
katemumtwo Tue 27-Oct-09 12:25:56

I am expecting a dd and we have narrowed the list down to the following (though we still have a while to go... so it could all change!). We're after something less ordinary as dcs dad is called Kevin and had always hated being either one of several in the class or having a dull uncle's name, as he puts it.

So: any positive or negative vibes on the following? I've seen other unusual name threads and think I am tough enough to take it on the chin!

Nova

Neva

Thyra

Lana / Lene

Thanks!

branflake81 Tue 27-Oct-09 12:30:59

Nova - sounds like a kind of car

Neva - people might get confused with Niamh

Thyra - sounds like a gland in the neck

Lana / Lene - I like Lana. how is Lene pronounced?

jamandjerusalem Tue 27-Oct-09 13:01:53

I haven't heard any of those before other than Lana, which I quite like. You would be letting your dd in for a lifetime of having to spell her name, which does get irritating (I often have to spell mine).

Do you like Nico? Nina? Una? All similar sounds but in the public consciousness a little more than your shortlist.

Of course you may not give two hoots that your shortlisted names are out of the public consciousness, in which case I'd say go for it!

birdofthenorth Tue 27-Oct-09 13:04:30

I like Lana

Like Nova too but she will get 'Nova Scotia' etc

Neva -sounds sweet, but also a bit like Never! Possibilty for Nether Netherland teasing too?

mathanxiety Tue 27-Oct-09 15:54:17

Was Nova one of Shiloh Pitt's middle names? I wouldn't use it. Neva is nice -- are you thinking of the river? Thyra reminds me too much of thyroid, sorry. Lena is nice too -- another Russian river perhaps? How would you pronounce Lene?

Vivia Tue 27-Oct-09 16:01:19

Neva is gorgeous. Are you pronouncing it Nay-vah? This is correct and far lovelier than Nee-vah, so I don't think people will confuse it with Niamh or call her 'never'.

Jamieandhismagictorch Tue 27-Oct-09 17:07:41

I love Nova.

Lana is my favourite

LetThereBeRock Tue 27-Oct-09 17:34:57

No
No
No
No

cloelia Tue 27-Oct-09 20:02:32

Nova = supernova?
Neva = no for many reasons listed above
Thyra just ugly, let alone thryoidish
Lana I like, very hollywood. Isn't there a name like Alana which is possible? (Rod Stewart's ex? or am i mistaken ...)

jkklpu Tue 27-Oct-09 20:48:26

dislike them all, with Lana on the verge of OK
I really like LENA, though

lalin Tue 27-Oct-09 20:51:51

Sorry, but a no from me.

lola0109 Tue 27-Oct-09 21:03:44

Love Lana!

Also like Lois. Bit of a supwerman theme though!

I also like Neva but think it might sound prettier than it looks IYSWIM. Is there an alternative spelling?

ineedalifelaundry Tue 27-Oct-09 21:04:01

I like Neva and Lana. Not keen on the rest.

katemumtwo Tue 27-Oct-09 22:05:14

Sorry - been out! Neva is pronounced NAy-vah (it is the name of a Russian river in St petersburg where we went for honeymoon).

Glad Thyra is a bit of a downer - I think it's too harsh but H likes it. I did suggest Thira (theera) - name of a greek island, which I like better.

Lene - lenna (pronounced), though is really short for Helena (if you are Scandinavian, which he is partly).

Thanks everyone - thought I'd get a universal pasting as I do like names that are a bit Marmite-y iykwim...

BabyDancer83 Wed 28-Oct-09 15:38:36

Vauxhall Nova
Never Neva
Thyra Thyroid
Lana means wool in italian (i live in italy thats just what springs to mind, sorry)
Lena (pronounced Lee-na) is better or Lenny for nn?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now