Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Ryan and Gemma?

(27 Posts)
sheepgomeep Mon 26-Oct-09 21:52:28

Dp wants Ryan if baby is a boy which I don't mind too much,

I quite like the name Gemma and he does too, but we have had some real arguments over names.

I also like Sophie too

No chav comments please!!

halfcut Mon 26-Oct-09 21:53:55

I like both Ryan and Gemma

cece Mon 26-Oct-09 21:58:03

Both nice. But prefer Jemma spelt with a J!

IControlSandwichMonkey Mon 26-Oct-09 22:01:22

I know somebody with a Ryan and a Gemma. She is from a particular socioeconomic background and the names remind me of that.

Tidey Mon 26-Oct-09 22:04:52

They both sound very eighties to me, but for all I know that could be deeply fashionable and exactly what you're going for. So erm.. good luck and best wishes.

tigerbear Mon 26-Oct-09 22:05:16

Sorry, don't like either. Sophie marginally better, but all a bit middle of the road. Sorry!

halfcut Mon 26-Oct-09 22:20:42

Much better then all the granddad and grandma names that seen so popular round these parts grin

gemmummy Mon 26-Oct-09 22:22:58

I quite like Gemma wink and I only occasionaly have chavtastic tendencies.

PoppyIsApain Mon 26-Oct-09 22:28:31

I like Ryan and Sophie

Cortina Tue 27-Oct-09 11:43:41

I've got an aristocratic friend called Jemma, she's about as far from 'chav' as you could ever get. So no associations from me!

Zil131 Tue 27-Oct-09 14:23:23

Both are nice. I woudn't think Gemma chav at all; and probably not Ryan these days.
And there are a lot of sophies round my way (nice though it is)

facebookaddict Tue 27-Oct-09 14:30:11

Gemma means 'gift from god' and 'beautiful lady like the precious stone'. I know quite a few lovely ones. Not with a 'J'!

MRSwereWOOLFhasabroomofherown Tue 27-Oct-09 14:31:07

Gemma is really not my taste and feels quite dated.
Ryan is okay, like better if there is an Irish connection.

mrsfuller Tue 27-Oct-09 14:46:15

I'm not keen on either Gemma or Ryan, just don't like them particularly, not necessarily because they're 'chav'.

I do like Sophie though, but it is very popular these days.

But the most important thing is that YOU and dp love your chosen names, not us - we're just a bunch of random strangers with possibly very different tastes than you. It's your baby, so you should feel happy with the names you choose. Good luck!

Lilymaid Tue 27-Oct-09 14:49:08

I know a very posh Gemma. Both names seem rather dated at the moment (popular in 70s and 80s?)

Poohbearsmom Tue 27-Oct-09 15:01:58

Ur babies ur names i like them both, prefer gemma to sophie

CinderellaRach Tue 27-Oct-09 15:07:22

Jemma instead of Gemma.Most Gemma/Jemmas seem to be grown-ups now so at least she'll be the only one in her class.

totalmisfit Tue 27-Oct-09 15:17:08

Gemma is actually a really old italian name, apparently (13th century or something) so can't be chavvy, can it?

doubleexpresso Tue 27-Oct-09 16:31:10

Love Gemma. Very pretty.

sargentpooper Tue 27-Oct-09 23:47:04

I really like Gemma, it was dated for bit but I think a baby Gemma would stand out these days

Ryan is not my cuppa

clemette Wed 28-Oct-09 00:21:59

I have never taught a well behaved Ryan. I have taught MANY naughty ones so it is a "naughty" name for me.
Gemma is OK, four of my DD's nursery nurses are called Gemma so it must have been big in the '80s!

sheepgomeep Wed 28-Oct-09 18:49:14

Thanks for all your comments.. there is an I rish connection, dp has an Irish surname and my other childen have both Irish and welsh names so Ryan would fit in quite nicely.

I didn't know that Gemma was an old Italian name

MaggieBruja Wed 28-Oct-09 20:27:28

I love Gemma, not keen on Ryan. It's the most popular sur name in Ireland.

Gemma is a bit 80s but so what?! I'd rather be a Melanie or a Gemma than another Sophie or Emma (nOT that there's anything wrong wiht those names, bykwim)

Heated Wed 28-Oct-09 20:37:42

Sophie is very pretty, also think Sophia is very elegant. And what is it about nursery workers being called Gemma? Gemma/Jemma is ok. Not keen on Ryan, as I only know Ryans who are trouble.

ArrghnBoooeee Thu 29-Oct-09 09:11:13

I don't like Ryan at all

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: