Talk

Advanced search

Symbolic boy names?

(24 Posts)
sprogger Mon 26-Oct-09 20:40:30

Okay, I've been mulling this one over for a while and I could use some input.

DS's middle name is Leo, which we chose purely because we like it and it goes well with his first name.

DD's middle name is Lily, which we chose because it was my grandmother's name.

Now expecting DC3. Since we've inadvertently started down the path of giving our children clearly symbolic middle names, I'd quite like to do the same again for our youngest. I have a huge list of potential middle names for a girl, but the only thing I've come up with for a boy is "Sol" - and I'm not wildly keen on it, even as a middle name.

Can anyone think of any others?

jkklpu Mon 26-Oct-09 20:42:39

Mexican beer? Campbell? Not great associations for me but it must mean something entirely different (and positive) to you

CuppaTeaJanice Mon 26-Oct-09 20:43:21

Rex

CuppaTeaJanice Mon 26-Oct-09 20:46:02

Although you've got the animal and the vegetable, perhaps you should go for a mineral name...

....erm.....

Jet?

sprogger Mon 26-Oct-09 20:49:36

Heh, hadn't thought of the mineral angle. Flint? Jasper? Mica?

(God, this is hard...)

PumpkinJollster Mon 26-Oct-09 20:51:08

hard to give you symbolic names without knowing you....

FWIW I quite like Sol (LOVE the beer!)

unless you continue the L theme
Lenny
Laurie
Luke
am sure there are many more lovely Lsss

MaggieBruja Mon 26-Oct-09 20:53:35

Jasper?

dizzydixies Mon 26-Oct-09 20:57:14

I love Sol and Saul

what about Sonny?

Reuben means behold a son which is nice

sprogger Mon 26-Oct-09 20:57:45

I'm thinking "symbolic" as in, there's some sort of physical representation - ie a lion for Leo, a flower for Lily. "Sol" is the sun (er, at least that's what I was thinking - but yes, loads of people would think of beer. Thank God this is for a middle name!)

It's so easy for girls - just pick a gemstone or a flower. With boys it's feckin' impossible. Oh why, WHY didn't I just give DD a virtue-based middle name with no obvious visual symbol?

Gosh yes, Rex too... like Sol though, people will think "dog" as much as they think "king..."

CuppaTeaJanice Mon 26-Oct-09 20:58:41

Have you tried looking in a dictionary, or a gardening book or a book about stones? Might give you some inspiration....

sprogger Mon 26-Oct-09 21:00:12

Maggie, are you questioning Jasper as a symbol? It's a mineral, and one that was quite plentiful where I grew up:

Jasper

dizzydixies Mon 26-Oct-09 21:05:26

Brae
Beau
Forest

MaggieBruja Mon 26-Oct-09 22:14:14

I was suggesting Jasper! Did somebody beat me to it? I put the question mark in because it's different in style to short L names Leo/Lily

sprogger Mon 26-Oct-09 23:18:53

It is different in style, but now that I'm thinking about it I'm liking it... grin

seeker Mon 26-Oct-09 23:24:50

It's difficult uless we know the first name you've chosen. Come on, give!

mathanxiety Tue 27-Oct-09 03:38:41

Peter (means rock)

Cluttergump Tue 27-Oct-09 10:18:58

Von....means hope

How have you gone down the route of giving your children "clearly symbolic middle names" when you gave your DS1 one purely because you liked it and it went with his first name??

GwarchodwrPlant Tue 27-Oct-09 10:28:11

Every name is symbolic, no? Every name has its origins and therfore symbolises either a place, a concept, a trade, a flower, an animal etc. Take DP's name for example. Christopher. It means 'Christ within' or 'someone who carries Christ'. Oliver symbolises Olives. Stephen means 'crown garland', Janus means 'Gateway' so whatever name you choose it will symbolise something.

Bessie123 Tue 27-Oct-09 10:28:58

Jesus?

MrsVik Tue 27-Oct-09 11:09:15

Glen? Rowan? Heath?

sprogger Wed 28-Oct-09 04:08:19

Ditto the second child, TrickorTreat. But now that I've established a pattern, I'm interested to see if there's a graceful way of repeating it intentionally.

Like Rowan, as well.

tinkerbellesmuse Wed 28-Oct-09 04:12:47

DD and DS1 have your middle names as first names. DS2 was called Felix which I am told means "happy".

If we ever have another boy I am very keen on jasper....

stressheaderic Sun 01-Nov-09 12:32:33

Heath is great...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now