Talk

Advanced search

what happens if you love a name but hate someone with it?

(10 Posts)
edd021208 Mon 26-Oct-09 13:15:39

I work w someone who i can't stand, but i'd love to use their name for my dd.......anyone had experience of this? It is a pretty common name and sort of a family name (ish) - Anna.

Zil131 Mon 26-Oct-09 13:52:12

It's always a problem!
I think that if most of your friends and family don't know the offending person; and they won't be in your life for ever, then (if you can live with it) then go for it.

JanJanJanJan Mon 26-Oct-09 13:53:58

Don't let it bother you. Whatever you call your child I'm sure at some point in their life you will come accross someone else who you won't particular like with the same name.

belgo Mon 26-Oct-09 13:55:21

It's only a problem if you think it's a problem.What about Anya or Anne Maria as variations?

RustyBat Mon 26-Oct-09 13:56:37

This is why DS is not called Patrick - I loved the name, but DH was bullied at school by a Patrick. I tried to persuade him that the name would soon come to mean DS, not the bully, but he wasn't convinced, so DS is Matthew.

mathanxiety Mon 26-Oct-09 14:01:38

If you use it, the name will only have pleasant associations after a bit. It's a bit like exorcism. Or you could change it slightly, like Belgo says. How about Ana?

edd021208 Mon 26-Oct-09 14:34:30

dh objects to changing it to ana even though i'd prefer it...he said dd will spend her life explaining how to spell it...yes, i suppose the hope is that the bad anna won't be in my life forever..i do work v closely with her though so my second issue is in case she thinks I named the baby in homage to her in a weird masochistic way!!!
I changed my ds's middle name because of something that was current at the time that would have meant bad associations but regret it now that time has passed..

mathanxiety Mon 26-Oct-09 14:41:21

How about Anastasia, Annelise or Annabel, with Anna for a nn?

natsmum100 Tue 27-Oct-09 06:43:20

I called dd Millie, but really wanted to call her Amelia, and Millie as nickname, but at the time was teaching child with that name and nn. Now my Millie is 6, I'm working in a different school and no longer have any contact with original Millie. Still regret not calling dd Amelia. My advice - choose the name you like.

edd021208 Tue 27-Oct-09 14:56:05

thanks everyone, anna it is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now