Talk

Advanced search

Names in TV programmes... why do they keep stealing mine? ;)

(16 Posts)
LifeOfKate Sat 24-Oct-09 09:09:33

Would love people's opinions on this!!

I'm 35 weeks now, and we have a woefully short shortlist of names (don't know sex of baby). It's not that we can't agree, it's just that neither of us can find names we really want to use!!

anyway, 2 of our names are currently being used on TV programmes, and I'm just wondering if other people would be put off by this? One of the boys names we had was George, and that has now appeared on Eastenders this week I'm worried it's going to create a little flood of Georges, and also don't want people to think we've picked it because of EE (we don't even watch the damn programme!!). One of the girls names we had was Lucy, and that is the name of one of the finalists on the X Factor, although admittedly her name is spelt with the ie spelling. again, I don't want people thinking I was naming my baby after her (as good as she is, hehe).

The only other two names on our shortlist are Noah (which I LOVE, but DH is concerned about the boat connotations) and alice, which i like, but find a little boring.

WWYD?? Would you ignore TV programmes and use the names anyway? Please tell me your opinions!!

GossipMonger Sat 24-Oct-09 09:14:43

I think George is popular enough without people thinking it is from EE!

Same with Lucy. She is at least a real person and not a character.

Names like Summer and Alfie which were on EE brought out a trickle of people calling their child these names but I really wouldnt worry about it.

I think Lucy Alice is pretty.

George Noah is cute too.

PuppyMonkey Sat 24-Oct-09 09:28:31

It's George Michael on EE anyway... after Heather's big crush.

NorktasticNinja Sat 24-Oct-09 09:32:01

Mmm. I see your problem but I wouldn't let it put you off. George is a great name!

If you like Lucy and Alice, how about Kate?

LifeOfKate Sat 24-Oct-09 12:03:42

We already have middle names sorted (people we want to honour from our families), otherwise a nice suggestion to use them as middle names

Unfortunately, I am called Kate!! Which is a tad annoying, as I love my name, and would definitely definitely consider it if it wasn't mine!!

So you don't think people would immediately think EE if we called a son George? Obviously they wouldn't in a few years time, but in 5-7 weeks time when we'd be announcing birth? also, is it too popular now?!

Not so bothered by the Lucy thing, as most of the contestants will be forgotten about pretty soon. However, there's an incredibly irritating woman at work whose daughter is called Lucy, and it's starting to put me off I'm sure her daughter's lovely, but the woman herself drives me to distraction!

Ugh, this naming babies business is tough

NorkilyChallenged Sat 24-Oct-09 12:09:08

I know more than one George under 3. And more than one Lucy come to that. They're pretty standard names just now so I don't think they immediately scream "tv name" at all.

Naming is tough - good luck finding something you love!

thesecondcoming Sat 24-Oct-09 12:11:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NorktasticNinja Sat 24-Oct-09 12:23:06

Ooops! Didn't look at your posting name, wouldn't have suggested Kate if I had blush

Firawla Sat 24-Oct-09 12:33:36

both those names are popular anyway people wont think of the tv associations. i didnt even know there is a george on ee, and wouldnt have crossed my mind that lucy was after x factor

SpookyAlice Sat 24-Oct-09 12:42:13

I love Noah. I think it is a lovely name and i am not religious so to me it is just a name iyswim?

I also love the name Alice, and would have been tempted to call DD that if my horse hadn't got the name first grin

I also like Lucy, but understand about your colleagues child.

Amy
Molly
Grace
Amelia
Evangeline/Evie/Eva
Marcus
Edward
Henry

purepurple Sat 24-Oct-09 13:24:05

I have an Alice, i love her name still.
Hundreds of children will be called George or Lucy and nobody will give a second thought to tv.
I know a Noah and it suits him even if his brother is called Jonah. grin there is a child called Noah on Emmerdale at the moment. IN fact, there is probably a charcter with any name you could come up with in some show on some channel.
Names are very personal choices. Pick what you like and don't be put off.

LifeOfKate Sat 24-Oct-09 16:27:04

Thanks all, you've put it all into perspective now, I should be bothered by these things

My favourite is still Noah, just got to work on DH wink Would be good if I could find a girls name that I could fall in love with too... I like Lucy and alice, they are very sensible names, I'm just not excited by them. Same goes for vast majority of the top 100 for girls. Ugh, I could think of loads of names I liked until it actually came to bestowing it on a real person, and now I've chickened out on a lot!!

LifeOfKate Sat 24-Oct-09 16:28:17

Ooops, that should read shouldn't be bothered by these things!!

diddl Sat 24-Oct-09 17:29:41

I love Noah.

lemonpuff Sat 24-Oct-09 17:43:53

Not much help but I know of two families with George and Lucy. South London Base

NorktasticNinja Sat 24-Oct-09 19:21:54

Actually over here, in the Netherlands, Noa (prn. Noah) is a popular girls name...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now