Talk

Advanced search

We have NO boys names: will have to pretend DS is a DD...

(23 Posts)
Catz Fri 23-Oct-09 15:01:01

Please help! I'm 34 weeks and the scan seemed fairly conclusive that DC2 is a DS but we can't agree on ANY boys names. Have started avoiding the subject which is not helpful.... thinking of dressing him in pink and hoping no-one notices...

We like fairly traditional names, not too bothered about them being popular, I would rather give a proper name that can be shortened rather than an abbreviated 1st name (so Benjamin rather than Ben). We're trying to avoid one syllable names as they sound a bit odd with our surname.

The problem is that our family have lots of boys already and they have nicked lots of the nice traditional names so can't really have: James, Timothy, Christopher, Joseph, Benjamin, Daniel, George, Harry, William, Alexander, Samuel and Thomas. Of those I particularly like Joseph, Alexander, Samuel and Daniel.

I like Jacob and Joshua but DH not keen as doesn't think the biblical namesakes are very good role models (which does rather cut out lots of traditional names!) DH likes Issac but we already have Isabelle and I don't really like the Zac abbreviation.

Please help!

Bubbaluv Fri 23-Oct-09 15:18:09

Richard is nice and Richie is a fab nn.
Amongst my friends/ fam we have Angus, Alistair, Leo, Cameron, Henry, Simon, Charles, Nicolas, Andrew, Stuart, Christopher

Any of those take your fancy?

mathanxiety Fri 23-Oct-09 15:36:48

Anthony
Peter
Nathaniel
Nicholas

meep Fri 23-Oct-09 16:05:57

Matthew
Alastair
Andrew

If dd2 had been a boty she would have been Alexander but I always like Matthew

hulabula Fri 23-Oct-09 16:08:38

Tobias/Toby
Quentin/Quinn
Matthew/Matt
Edward/Ed

diddl Fri 23-Oct-09 16:19:14

I like Isaac.

Doesn´t have to be abbreviated as it´s fairly short?

(but it´s biblical)

Also like your names.

Edward,
Henry,
Michael?

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Fri 23-Oct-09 16:24:47

I think isabelle and Isaac sound lovely together.
Isabelle and Jacob good too.
I am less fond of Joshua.

Edward
Edmund
Matthew
Robert
Mark
David
Luke
Philip

pinknosedevereux Fri 23-Oct-09 16:28:15

Robert,Stephen,Andrew. Daniel is nice too, you can always decide on the day he may look like a (blank)

I know how you feel though, we could only agree on one boys name-used that on ds thank god dc2 was girlsmile

Rindercella Fri 23-Oct-09 16:29:18

I'm liking your choices...never considered Isaac before and I really like it. How about Gabriel?

Out of interest, what girls names have you considered? We appear to have quite similar tastes and I have a couple of boys' names, but cannot think of a single girls name!

Catz Fri 23-Oct-09 16:53:44

Many thanks for all the lists lots of lovely names there - I will get DH to go through them with me tonight and see what he thinks.

Biblical is fine it's just DH not keen on the genocide/deceiving father to con brother out of inheritance connotations - a fair point I suppose but is a bit of a limiting factor especially for old testament names!

Do people think Isaac and Isabelle sound OK together - I was a bit concerned about the 2 Is's.

Rindercella - we've not considered the possibility that DS may actually be a DD! When we named DD we did also both like Freya and Imogen (though they are all very popular)

StinkbotsMum Fri 23-Oct-09 16:58:25

Paul, Raymond, Archibald, Noah, John, Edgar, Elijah, Elliot (which goes especially nicely with Isabel, I reckon).

diddl Fri 23-Oct-09 17:51:49

I think Isabelle & Isaac are fine together.

And love Freya should the possibility that you haven´t considered happen!

sophiesmummie Fri 23-Oct-09 18:56:22

I like Isaac, but find Isabelle and Isaac too close personally. I'd also avoid the same letter for first names if possible.

Isabelle and Jacob go well imo.

Catz Fri 23-Oct-09 19:59:13

Argh - having been though all of those we still can't agree. I still like Jacob but apparently it is 'horrible hard name' he still wants Isaac but I'm not convinced about the two 'Is' thing.

Only one we're both vaguely OK with is Jonathan but one of my good friends has a Jonathan.

Hope the sonographer was wrong!

mellifluouscauliflower Fri 23-Oct-09 20:14:31

What about Oliver?

PoppyIsApain Fri 23-Oct-09 20:17:15

Charlie?

lovemybabyboy Fri 23-Oct-09 22:49:34

Oscar
Adam
Arthur
David
Daniel

I also think Isabelle and Isaac sound lovely together smile

TanyaBranning Fri 23-Oct-09 22:53:09

Albert (Bertie/Alby)
Charles / Charlie
Laurence / Laurie
Peter
John
Gabriel
Michael
Jack

iwascyteenagewerewolf Fri 23-Oct-09 22:56:06

Since you love Joseph, you obviously have fabulous taste wink but here's some names anyway...

Simon
Alistair
Adam
Xavier
Edmund
Gabriel

LittleMissWorryHead Sat 24-Oct-09 10:43:11

Isabelle and Isaac work well together I think - the only thing I would say is that if you are planning another it might not be the best idea?

But i do tend to overthink things wink

Oh and Jacob rocks - I know, he is asleep upstairs, love him!

I can see where your DH is coming from, I used to think it was a hard name- its quite grown up I think.

Still rocks tho - work on DH!! [wink}

Deemented Sat 24-Oct-09 12:30:53

If you like Jonathon, what about John-Paul?

tallyhopinkerton Sat 24-Oct-09 13:39:45

Nathaniel
Christian
Gideon
Noah
Matthias
Jonah (he was a bit of an Eeyore though)

Good luck!

christiana Sat 24-Oct-09 14:21:02

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now