Talk

Advanced search

Leila

(14 Posts)
blushes Fri 23-Oct-09 13:38:08

Love the name, and it's really the sole entry on our shortlist for our forthcoming daughter.

The thing is, it means "dark" or "dark beauty" or "born in the night" or similar. Rather nice, I think, and meaning-wise, will go well with her middle name which means "light".

But does it matter if she is born at midday, or turns out to be white blonde with pale skin? (This is, admittedly, unlikely, given mine and dp's colouring).

How much does the meaning of a name really matter? (My name, for example, means "sheep" and I don't give a stuff!).

Oh and what do you think of the name Leila?

Zil131 Fri 23-Oct-09 13:57:07

I like it,and I think some people may know the meaning of thier own name; but would generally not know or care about others.

Besdes it's not an abvious meaning - I know a white blond litte girl called Ebony (to me it's more of a black lap dancer name...!), but nobody commnts on that!

Salonly Fri 23-Oct-09 14:00:57

A friend used this a while ago but pronounces it Lie-la. It throws me every time!

How will you be pronouncing it?

I really like it but prefer the name Lila (spelt this way!)

Teapot13 Fri 23-Oct-09 14:56:15

I have always liked this name. I think you're right that meaning doesn't always matter. There are a lot of names that are known for a connection to a story or a historical figure, and no one really bothers with the meaning of the original name -- like Juliet. I use that example because Leila is the heroine of the Persian "Romeo and Juliet" story. Two star-crossed lovers, Leila married off by her father, the man who loves her, Majnun, wild with grief. (This is also the back story for the song Layla, written when Eric Clapton fell in love with George Harrison's wife -- the song is based on the Middle Eastern tale.) So, if you don't like the meaning, maybe other historical/literary aspects of the name will make up for it.

blushes Fri 23-Oct-09 15:34:55

Would pronounce it lay-la (as per the Eric Clapton song- which I love, and it's v interesting to hear the story behind it Teapot13)

I also like the name Lila, but I think Kate Moss's daughter is called Lila, plus there's an Oasis song with the same name, so it feels a bit Primrose Hill Set for me! Leila feels more classic, plus there's a family history of the name.

mrmump Fri 23-Oct-09 19:45:23

We had already chosen Leila, like you because Daddy is a Eric Clapton fan. DD is now 3, born at lunch time, with blonde hair and blue eyes. Oh well! I love the name and she's the only one I've heard of in our area. But be prepared for people spelling it "Leyla" and pronouncing it "Lila".

Waswondering Fri 23-Oct-09 19:52:38

Went to school with a Leila (pronounced Lee-la) - she was lovely, dark haired, really nice, v pretty and good at everything!

Like it!

LynetteScavo Fri 23-Oct-09 19:55:25

I like it, but it doesn remind me of the Eric Clapton song.

Maleeka Fri 23-Oct-09 20:33:03

We have a Leila at the nursery that i work at and its pronounced "layla". I have to do a double think every time say her name.

My son has a Layla in his class and my daughter has a friend named Leila who's name is pronouned "Leela"

No wonder my head is spinning! grin

LittleMissWorryHead Sat 24-Oct-09 10:44:54

Leila is gorgeous. Meanings don't matter at all, IMO.

Jacob means something bad I think but i couldn't give a witches broomstick wink

Firawla Sat 24-Oct-09 12:35:08

i dont think it matters too much about the meaning, atleast it doesnt mean "ugly" or something like that wink
its a v nice name and would be fine

skihorse Sun 25-Oct-09 17:42:21

Lovely.

blushes Mon 26-Oct-09 12:19:41

Glad to see others share my view that the meaning doesn't matter too much. I just love the name.

A friend of mine recently discovered (while browsing my baby names book) that her name means "fat" smile. It's still a lovely name though (and she isn't fat!).

skihorse Mon 26-Oct-09 13:01:13

Btw - my mum and my sister both have names meaning "dark" or "night" - my mum is quite dark but my sister's a typical celt - nobody knows the meaning of the name anyway so what does it matter?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now