Talk

Advanced search

Girls Names: combining Jewish and Irish heritage

(21 Posts)
rebeccacad Thu 22-Oct-09 12:28:11

We've just found out we're having a girl (yay)! It's our first baby and needs a name to go with our surname (sounds like 'Shiver') and in an ideal world I'd like to use the middle name 'Anne' (as it is my mum, my nan and my middle name's).

Our list of names we like so far comprises:
Roberta (Bobbie for short), Eva, Clementine, Ivy, Ariel, Hester Rose, Evelyn, Connie

But when we were thinking of boys names too I came up with Malachy, which I loved as it combined my Irish heritage and my husband's Jewish heritage. I can't think of anything that ticks those boxes for a girl yet - any ideas?

Thanks!

Paperclipcollector Thu 22-Oct-09 13:32:40

Esther? My grandmother and 2 aunts (Irish) called this.

BonsoirAnna Thu 22-Oct-09 13:38:43

Ariel is a good Jewish name, though usually used for boys, not girls.

Are you Catholic? I'm Protestant (Anglican) and would have had no difficulty choosing a name that sounded both very Anglican and very Jewish from the Old Testament. But it can be harder for Catholics, whose typical names are often New Testament.

rebeccacad Thu 22-Oct-09 13:43:57

Neither of us are very religious - though happy with a biblical name we wouldn't want something too overtly religious I think.

Esther is nice...thanks!

sweetnitanitro Thu 22-Oct-09 13:53:05

Old testament names are probably your best bet, there are lots that are popular and would be OK even for non-religious types

Eve
Judith (Judy)
Miriam (Mim)
Naomi
Rachel
Rebecca
Ruth
Sarah

Personally Naomi is my fave, it's on my list in case I have another girl grin

rebeccacad Thu 22-Oct-09 13:57:16

Thanks - I like Eve a lot. Naomi is out (friend's new baby) - but it is lovely! I'm Rebecca, so that one's out too!!

Jamieandhismagictorch Thu 22-Oct-09 15:06:02

I love Malachy, and would have liked to use it, but as an English atheist had no excuse grin.

For a girl :

Hannah

thedolly Thu 22-Oct-09 15:18:39

Aoife is apparently Jewish. Pronounced Eefa in Irish. I like it smile.

cremolafoam Thu 22-Oct-09 15:29:48

Abigail
Ruth
Hannah
Ailish ( covers both bases)
as does Shona ( Seana/Shonagh in Irish)

cremolafoam Thu 22-Oct-09 15:34:08

i also know a couple of children called Golda and Levi- both girls

spookypixiebroomstix Thu 22-Oct-09 15:52:04

Ok, this is probably way off, but I know one Irish family and one Jewish family who both have a Flora. Does that fit the bill in any way?

rebeccacad Thu 22-Oct-09 15:57:20

oooo - good ideas! Flora is really nice. The more I think of it the very traditional biblical names aren't for us so this works really well. Will put it on the list. Keep 'em coming - DH will think I've had some major brainwaves today!

BonsoirAnna Thu 22-Oct-09 17:07:13

My English-Anglican/French-Jewish daughter is Flora, but because it works in both English and French rather than in both religions!

mathanxiety Thu 22-Oct-09 17:07:27

Girls:
Ada
Adel -- 'noble, gracious, elegant'
Aerin -- F. version of Aaron, means 'enlightened'.
Just a few suggestions --
Aila -- 'deer, gazelle'
Anne
Lena -- 'watchtower'
Jemima
Mariah -- version of Mary, older Irish pronunciation of Maria.
Sadie -- traditional Irish nn for Sarah

Also Jordan, Micah. I personally love Rivka, but it's not at all Irish.

Boys:
Daniel
Jethro
Jeremiah (popular in some parts of Ireland for centuries)
Jerome
Joseph
Jonathan
Matthew
Michael or go for the Irish version (pr. MEE-haul)

mathanxiety Thu 22-Oct-09 17:08:15

OK, read your post from start to finish and see it's a girl grin blush

MaggieEsLaMejorBruja Thu 22-Oct-09 17:25:06

I like Naomi and Miriam.

I like Rachel.. Rebecca is a bit harsh imo.

MaggieEsLaMejorBruja Thu 22-Oct-09 17:26:22

Omg! just guessing your name is Rebecca. Yikes. sorry. I just mean I wouldn't pick it for a baby. It's a perfectly nice name for an adult. blush

Jamieandhismagictorch Thu 22-Oct-09 17:26:38

What about Leah ?

rubyslippers Thu 22-Oct-09 17:28:13

Eden

mathanxiety Thu 22-Oct-09 17:48:25

There's a Jewish baby naming method where the first name can be anything the parents feel like giving the child, even one that is very particular to the country of residence, but the middle name is more of a Jewish name and is used for religious ceremonies such as Bat/ Bar Mitzvahs, weddings,etc. Sometimes the names are similar or can be related by their meaning. In general, it's traditional for Jews of Ashkenazi descent to name a baby after deceased relatives or ancestors; the Sephardic tradition is to honour living relatives and ancestors alike.

said Thu 22-Oct-09 17:59:33

Gabrielle?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now