Talk

Advanced search

Oliver V Oscar

(42 Posts)
Salonly Mon 19-Oct-09 19:02:22

Are these names quite similar? Is it inevitable that Oscar will reach Oliver's level of popularity?

Which do you prefer and why?

claricebeansmum Mon 19-Oct-09 19:03:47

I have an Oscar. He is 13 so quite rare for his age grin

He has just thrown up 4 times in 1 hour and missed the bucket each time hmm

Oscar's are the best grin

TrillianSlasher Mon 19-Oct-09 19:05:45

Oliver. There's no nice shortening for Oscar.

thedollshouse Mon 19-Oct-09 19:06:00

I prefer Oliver. Oliver is lovely, I wanted it on our list but dh not keen. Oliver is timeless it has been popular for years and will remain that way.

Oscar is more a name of the time iyswim? I can't imagine it being so popular in 20 years time. I also can't get past the pet dog connection.

claricebeansmum Mon 19-Oct-09 19:06:44

What is wrong with Ossie/Ozzie/Oz?

Tidey Mon 19-Oct-09 19:07:47

Much prefer Oliver. No offence to any MNers with Oscars, but it's forever linked to a fluffy green monster who lives in a bin, in my mind at least.

TrillianSlasher Mon 19-Oct-09 19:07:51

Oh now Oz is good for a teenager, I forgot about that one, but Ozzie sounds silly.

claricebeansmum Mon 19-Oct-09 19:12:09

"fluffy green monster who lives in a bin,"

Yes, suits mine well. You have not seen the state of his room, or him grin

MrsJiggle86 Mon 19-Oct-09 19:19:42

I like Oscar, if i have a boy next it will be Oscar for def, but i like Oliver too, but that is my mum and brother's surname so would abit odd.

fizzpops Mon 19-Oct-09 19:21:46

Oscar is cooler but Oliver is timeless. I like both of them.

piscesmoon Mon 19-Oct-09 19:28:40

Oliver. Every other baby seems to be called Oscar at the moment.

hippipotamiHasLost72lbs Mon 19-Oct-09 19:33:08

I prefer Oliver, but only because ds is one. He is in a large school with 90 children per year group, yet amazingly there appears to be only one Oliver in Y3, none in Y4, one in Y5 and my one in Y6. (I work at the school hency the reason I know the whereabouts of the Olivers wink)

Dd has an Oscar in her class (again yeargroup of 90) but there are two in the nursery and a baby born to a friend a few months ago has been called Oscar. So I think the Oscars are more up and coming whereas the popularity of Oliver seems more steady. (based on my limited research anyway smile

Personally I find the name Oscar a bit harsh sounding.

hippipotamiHasLost72lbs Mon 19-Oct-09 19:34:11

Have to add though, even though ds is called Oliver he appears to have become Oz or Ozzie amongst his friends hmm
(He was Ollie up until a few months ago)

bibbitybobbityCAT Mon 19-Oct-09 19:36:01

Oliver. But I am biased wink.

PumpkinProject Mon 19-Oct-09 19:56:01

I do like the name Oliver, but have to say that every other boy where I live is called that. I haven't encountered any Oscars and for that reason I prefer it - I like slightly more unusual names.

And Oscar the Grouch is one of the coolest creatures ever. grin

BTW I thought the same about Harry (cool but v common) vs Henry (similar but more unusual) when choosing DS's middle name.

Ondine Mon 19-Oct-09 21:56:10

I don't think Oscar will go top 5 like Oliver has. It's a bit too quirky.

I prefer Oscar, it sounds more grown up than Oliver, better for a man imo.

I also really like Otto, that will never go top 10.

lovemybabyboy Tue 20-Oct-09 00:02:27

I much prefer Oscar, but I am biased
I dont know any other Oscar's where I live and know 1 Oliver. I do like the name Oliver too though....just not as much as Oscar

By the way, my Oscar has an Oscar the grouch teddy and he loves it! smile

nappyaddict Tue 20-Oct-09 00:49:33

I prefer Oscar. In my area Oliver is much more common than Oscar.

nooka Tue 20-Oct-09 02:25:06

According to Name Voyager they are about as popular as each other (Oliver at 118 and Oscar at 119 last year). The difference being that Oliver has become much more popular over the last 10 years or so whereas Oscar started to get popular in the 90's. So in fact Oliver is catching up to Oscar's popularity.

nooka Tue 20-Oct-09 02:28:56

On the other hand Otto was very popular in the 1890s-1900s. The most popular "O" name at the moment is Owen btw.

www.babynamewizard.com/voyager#prefix=O&ms=true&sw=m&exact=false

CheerfulYank Tue 20-Oct-09 02:35:07

I like Oscar. Oz is a cool nickname too.

gladders Tue 20-Oct-09 10:09:25

much prefer oliver, and love ollie as a NN, but it is just way too popular round here - 20 boys in ds's year and 4 are called oliver...

gladders Tue 20-Oct-09 10:10:54

re-read OP. I prefer oliver as i think it's a more masculine name. oscar for me is grat for a little baby/toddler - but not so good for a strapping teenager.

i don't think oscar will ever be quite as popular as oliver, but there are still quite a few about.

herbietea Tue 20-Oct-09 10:15:54

Message withdrawn

weepootle Tue 20-Oct-09 10:27:20

much prefer oliver

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now