We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tabitha and potential nicknames

(28 Posts)
persephoneplum Wed 14-Oct-09 10:32:28

Tabitha has been in my top five for a few years now, and now that Octavia and Freya are a little out of favour with me right now, Tabitha has made its way to the top again.

My problem with Tabitha is the lack of appealing nicknames. Whilst I'm not sure it really needs a nickname, it's nice to have a few in mind, just in case

I don't like Tabby or Abi at all, and was thinking of the following ones. Can you add any more? I guess I like the more 'hipsterish' names, if I had to pick a category.

Bea - (pr. 'bay') my dear long-departed nana's nickname.

Bibi - really not sure about this one, but cute for a baby nickname.

BigusBumus Wed 14-Oct-09 10:36:32

Why don't you like Tabby? I love that name.

Bibi is ind of cute and would make a good funky teen/adult name too.

But why shorten Tabitha at all? Its best as it is! (Its my cat's name grin)

GrimmaTheNome Wed 14-Oct-09 10:40:14

She's almost bound to get called Tabby by her friends. Or Puss. Or Tabs (which mightn't be too bad)

persephoneplum Wed 14-Oct-09 10:42:43

I seem to have a thing for cat names. My first son is Felix!

It doesn't bother me at all, having two 'catty' names in the family - it's not like calling someone Fido.

I don't know about Tabby. In a complete aboutface about the cat thing, it's just what we call the local tabby tom cat who roams around getting females pregnant. I guess it's not an overly positive association.

And I do agree about not shortening it at all

overmydeadbody Wed 14-Oct-09 10:44:10

Tabs and Tibby are nice nicknames

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 14-Oct-09 10:46:14

I am mostly known by my full name, but when shortened it is usually to Tabs.

colditz Wed 14-Oct-09 10:48:20

Everyone will call her Tabby whether you like it or not

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 14-Oct-09 10:51:12

No they won't Colditz! Mine has never been shortened to Tabby.

thesockmonsterofdoom Wed 14-Oct-09 10:52:49

I have a Tabitha, she is mainly Tabi or Tabs, her middle name is Jasmine so she is often Tabi Jaz.

MrsBadger Wed 14-Oct-09 10:52:57

All the Tabithas I know are Tabs

I think it is fine so long as your surname isn;t Catt - actually wasn;t there a novel about a family called Catte - father Maximilian and children Thomas and Tabitha, known as Manx Catte, Tom Catte and Tabby Catte...

[drifts off into nostalgia]

PixiNanny Wed 14-Oct-09 11:07:50

I think of Tabitha as a cat-name. I'd probably call somebody with the name Tabatha Kitty (in fact I do know a Tabatha who calls herself Kit/Kitty haha) or something, it just fits for me (hope you're not offended, I don't mean to be!) grin

DamonBradleylovesPippi Wed 14-Oct-09 11:09:44

Tabitha was one of my favourite names for dd1, shame dh didn't agree.

MrsBadger Wed 14-Oct-09 11:13:01

actually when the Tabitha in that book goes off to boarding school she ditches Tabby as a nickname and is known as Kitty, which she much prefers...

GreatGooglyMoogly Wed 14-Oct-09 11:13:30

Bitty?

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 14-Oct-09 11:15:30

The only one I know of is Tabs or Tabsy

I think Bea (pr. Bee rather than Bay) might work. Bibi ok for very young child

Vronsky Wed 14-Oct-09 11:18:49

Message withdrawn

ThePrettiestStar Wed 14-Oct-09 11:42:52

My DD is Tabitha, she's only six months and it already gets shortened to Tabby (most of the time) and Tab.

I don't mind either. Any name will be shortened sometime/somehow. smile

Just out of interest (nosiness!), those of you with a Tabitha... do you have other children and what are their names?

persephoneplum Wed 14-Oct-09 11:46:20

Oh my god!

Kit and Kitty are just PERFECT! I have been making a list for ages of full names which could be shortened to Kit, and whilst I do prefer Kit on a boy, if my next and final child is a girl, then I'd love to use it in some way.

Thank you so much - those would never had occurred to me without you guys. That's the one

Tabba and Bea (pr. Bee) are mighty cute too.

mrswoolf Wed 14-Oct-09 12:16:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PixiNanny Wed 14-Oct-09 12:33:33

persephoneplum: do you have a thing about cats by any chance? grin

Curious though, I know Kitty is a nickname for Tabitha, but why? How did that one start? (reminds me of the Richard/Dick thing grin)

ThePrettiestStar Wed 14-Oct-09 12:46:31

What really gets me is that where I live most of the people call her Tab ita instead of Tabitha. Drives me absolutely barmy. I think this is why I just don't care if they shorten her name to Tab. Easier on my nerves.

Tabba is cute, not sure I could get away with kitty.

mrswoolf you have to explain woo now - it's a really sweet NN.

Kingsroadie Thu 15-Oct-09 17:07:48

I would automatically call her Tab if shortening, and that is what I have heard others called - and also in Jilly Cooper - blush. I really like it - again - same with Octavia. Just as an aside, we're not really considering it as "Tab" is a nickname given to someone who went to/is at Cambridge by the Oxford goers - my husband being one of the latter, and therefore not overly amenable to it. Silly I know but I suppose reasons for choosing or not choosing certain names are often a little silly! smile

biscuitbear Thu 15-Oct-09 18:58:39

If you like bibi as a nn how about Biba. I thought about Biba and Tabitha for dd2.

Horton Mon 19-Oct-09 13:33:00

I have a Tabitha who is Tabs, Tabsy, Tab, Topsy and Tibby at various times. I mainly call her Tabitha, though. I don't have any other children yet (no 2 is due in June).

Can you remember the name of that Catte book, MrsBadger? It rings a bell for me and googling is getting me nowhere!

killmeplease Mon 29-Aug-16 15:17:06

TABATHTUB

(ta-bath-tub)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now