Talk

Advanced search

Innes for a girl?

(26 Posts)
hackneybird Wed 14-Oct-09 10:30:10

My Dad was Scottish but sadly passed away a few years ago so I reaslly want to give my baby (due any day now) a Scottish name in his honour.

I don't know the sex of the baby. If it is a boy I'm quite keen on Innes but I'm told that it is sometimes used for a girl too. Does anyone know if this is true? I know that Ines, a Spanish version is used for girls.

Thanks all.

HB
XX

meltedmarsbars Wed 14-Oct-09 10:34:18

It's a boys name as far as I know (I know twin boys called Innes and Fergus)

There was a scottish name thread recently...

branflake81 Wed 14-Oct-09 10:36:52

I thought it was a Spanish name.

brimfull Wed 14-Oct-09 10:36:54

tis a surname in our family

how do you pronounce it?

short i ?

I know a girl called Inez with long i pronunciation

seeker Wed 14-Oct-09 10:40:42

What was your dad's name? Could you not use that?

I think Innes would be hard to pronounce ans spell - and a bit odd for a girl, particularly as there is Inez as a girl's name already.

castille Wed 14-Oct-09 10:42:31

Inès is popular in France (pron Innesse)

I know a couple, it's a pretty name.

glasgowlass Wed 14-Oct-09 10:42:35

I have only ever heard Innes, with that spelling for a boy.

glasgowlass Wed 14-Oct-09 10:45:38

Thread on Scottish names
Top 100 baby names, Scotland 2008

hackneybird Wed 14-Oct-09 10:56:55

My Dad's name was Walter, so no, we could not use that wink.

flier Wed 14-Oct-09 10:59:33

Innes is a boys name.

glasgowlass Wed 14-Oct-09 11:04:06

What about a Scottish island name for a girl, ie Ailsa(as in Ailsa Craig), Cara, Iona, Isla(Islay without the y),Skye?

hackneybird Wed 14-Oct-09 11:45:36

I think we will rule Innes for a girl then - I have read in a few places that it is used for girls as well but it feels more of a boys name to me.

We'll probably go with a family name of Alexander.

If it is a girl we may go for Iona or similar. My brother and I both have Scottish names so it would be nice to continue the tradition.

hackneybird Wed 14-Oct-09 11:51:35

Rule out I mean!

lola0109 Wed 14-Oct-09 12:12:27

I love Innes for a boy and I would have no qualms using it for a girl if DP would let me.

DD is Ainslie which is an uncommon girls and boys name! You would have to give her a more feminine middle name though unlike we did, Ainslie Frances, oops.

skihorse Wed 14-Oct-09 12:59:18

I thought it was a French girl's name - and you'd be forever telling people how to pronounce it.

runawayquickly Wed 14-Oct-09 13:24:41

I know a few girls named Innes - I think it's lovely!

mazzystartled Wed 14-Oct-09 13:31:02

I think its for either sex - but Ines or Inez is prettier - but less scottish

I'd be worried a bit about pronunciation of Innes, what with the compost magnate of the same name

Jamieandhismagictorch Wed 14-Oct-09 13:34:59

glasgowlass those are lovely girls names.

I too thought Ines was a girls name (never heard of it in relation to boys)

Alexander is a nice name

doughnutty Wed 14-Oct-09 13:36:09

A friend of a friend of a friend called their little girl Innes a couple of years ago. My friend thought it was very odd at the time but like all names I suppose the baby grew into it and now the Mum admits she's glad she didn't change her mind because of other peoples negative comments.

stressedHEmum Wed 14-Oct-09 13:42:37

Innes is definitely a boys name in Scotland, it means Man from the Island.

Inez, Ynes, Ines are all girls names, but none of them are Scottish. Scottish girl's names could be: Ailsa, Isla, Iona, Mhairi, Rhona, Heather, Seonag, Eileis, Eilidh.

Crazycatlady Wed 14-Oct-09 14:32:01

How is the Scottish Innes pronounced? In-ez (like the girls' name)? Eyenz (rhyme with Heinz)?, Innz? I just can't hear it in my head! Never heard of it for a boy?

flier Wed 14-Oct-09 14:44:22

It is pronounced Inness in other words a soft S. Its a lovely boys scottish name.

glasgowlass Wed 14-Oct-09 15:28:12

*crazy cat lady* Innes is pronounced in ness but with a short n and soft s

I think its a beautiful name, a very very strong name IMO

jamie I love those girls names too, wanted Isla for our DC but alas was a boy!

JoInScotland Wed 14-Oct-09 15:38:56

My understanding is that the "Inez" which is popular in Spain, Portugal, Phillipines, etc is their version of Agnes. So it has nothing to do with the Scottish "Innes".

Crazycatlady Fri 16-Oct-09 14:28:41

Thanks for the explanations, it is a lovely name. I've never met anyone called Innes, but then I'm in London. If I was Scottish I'd certainly go for it as a boy's name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now