Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of Cian?

(25 Posts)
Cistus Wed 14-Oct-09 09:50:40

What do you think of Cian as a boy's name? It's listed on Mumsnet's Baby Name Finder.

how do you pronounce it ?

MamaG Wed 14-Oct-09 09:52:03

I think if you have to ask how to pronounce it, you're going to set your son up for a lifetime of telling people how to pronounce it! Why not Kian instead to save this prob?

QueenOfFrighteningEveryone Wed 14-Oct-09 09:52:36

I think that spelling means nobody will ever be sure how to pronounce it.

Not keen, sorry.

frogs Wed 14-Oct-09 09:55:37

It's Irish. Catholics will know how to pronounce it (it's Kee-an btw). It's common in Catholic schools in the UK, and in Ireland obv.

But why would you choose it if you're not Irish? Particularly since you don't seem to know how to pronounce it?

hmm

ladylush Wed 14-Oct-09 09:59:02

It's my ds name but anglicised to Kian so that people can pronounce it. I am second generation Irish and love Irish names (have one myself but it is very unusual and no one pronounces it correctly)- I chose Irish names for both of my children.

Cistus Wed 14-Oct-09 10:00:58

im not choosing it, a friend has done and I have only seen it written down - hence the question

mathanxiety Wed 14-Oct-09 15:41:07

Pronounced Kee-an (like Ian but with a K). Like it a lot.

TheDevilEatsBabies Wed 14-Oct-09 15:44:54

it's beautiful.

i was in love with a boy called Cian when i was at uni. i was a shit and never took it seriously.
he was gorgeous.

i can't use it myself because of this, so please please please use it!

(pronounced Kee-un)
and please spell it correctly, as in your OP...

[swoon]

Jamieandhismagictorch Wed 14-Oct-09 17:02:26

I really like it

donttrythisathome Wed 14-Oct-09 18:32:21

Why do you need to Irish to choose an Irish name?

If your friend likes it then she should go for it.

I'm Irish and am not keen on it myself though as very common.

MaggieBehaveOutGuising Wed 14-Oct-09 20:07:33

It's so popular in Ireland. I do still quite like it, but tbh there are other nicer and less exhausted Irish names. But it's not terrible, just overused right now.

What about Diarmuid, Oisin, Tadhg, Lorcan?

MaggieBehaveOutGuising Wed 14-Oct-09 20:09:08

eh frogs, I'm church of Ireland and I speak Irish and I know how to spell and pronounce all the most popular Irish names.

"catholics will know". shock

do these catholics have access to extra information that the rest of us don't have? hmm

MaggieBehaveOutGuising Wed 14-Oct-09 20:10:34

ok, I'm backing right up and apologising frogs because I see what you mean. In England, at a catholic school, yes I completely get it now. Sorry, I was speed reading and I was too uppity by far there.

grin

tinkerbell1982 Wed 14-Oct-09 20:17:53

my son's name is caine and when we have to fill forms in for him we get asked how to pronounce his name lol

stleger Wed 14-Oct-09 20:22:13

Goodness that was exciting... nothing like a militant member of the Cof I wink, but isn't there a Cian in Westlife?

MaggieBehaveOutGuising Wed 14-Oct-09 21:08:20

hee stleger, probably know me doncha?! wink

VerityBrulee Wed 14-Oct-09 21:43:44

I know 2, one pronounced Kee-an, the other is Keen.

I don't like either. In fact I dislike all Irish names, many of them sound ugly and harsh to me, but I'm Irish so I'm allowed to say that wink

TanyaBranning Wed 14-Oct-09 21:47:23

Lovely. Cian is a much nicer spelling than Kian imo (sorry Mums of Kians). More authentic and really not that tricky (it's a lot like the difference between Ciaran and Kieran).

ladylush Thu 15-Oct-09 13:34:24

Not offended Tanya but disagree when you say Cian is not that tricky to pronounce. English people in particular (imho - and I speak as one, though of Irish descent)struggle with Irish names. I have a fairly unusual one myself and it made me very self-conscious as a child because practically everyone struggled with it. That's why I chose to anglicise Cian to Kian - though I do agree that Cian is a far nicer spelling. Still, it's the sound of the name that's more important imo. As in the case of the OP a lot of people do not know how to pronounce Cian (See-an, Cy-an etc.)

frogs Thu 15-Oct-09 16:17:14

Arf at Maggie, and the idea of catholics having a special hotline for the pronunciation of Irish names.

Yup, I meant in the UK. Catholic schools here are full of names that are guaranteed to trip up an unsuspecting supply teacher of non-irish and/or non-catholic heritage, much to the amuseument of the rest of the class and the irritation of the name's owner.

Ciara gets them every time, reports dd1. And when it comes Aoibhinn they just look at the register and blanch. [snigger]

heartofgold Thu 15-Oct-09 16:19:45

it's welsh too (prn same)

princessmel Thu 15-Oct-09 16:22:48

frogs how do you pronounce those last 2 names you mentioned?

mathanxiety Thu 15-Oct-09 16:33:47

Keir-a and Ae-veen or Ee-veen (emphasis on first syllable in each) would be my pr.

frogs Thu 15-Oct-09 16:35:46

Ciara is pronounced kiera (like kieran/ciaran without the final -n) and Aoibhinn is Av-een (like Ava but with -een instead of -a at the end).

Easy when you know how...

simplesusan Thu 15-Oct-09 22:06:30

I quite like Cian and would definately spell it this way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now