Talk

Advanced search

Just how common is Isobel then?

(23 Posts)
Muser Mon 12-Oct-09 22:41:23

Go on, how many Isobel/Isabel/Isabelle's do you know? Is it so common if I shout the name the entire female under-5 child population of South London is going to look up?

Salonly Mon 12-Oct-09 22:48:10

I know of three, none spelt Isobel though.

It's a fab name and popular for good reason!

I'm in Herts btw.

busybutterfly Mon 12-Oct-09 22:50:42

I'm a Bounty lady and Isobel (and variations) are extremely popular. Is ok if you want your DD to be known as Isobel A (or whatever)!

SixtyFootDoll Mon 12-Oct-09 22:52:08

Not many in South Wales
Was my fave girls name but had boys
I love it and love that spelling of it

Shells Mon 12-Oct-09 22:54:12

I know loads.

Muser Mon 12-Oct-09 22:58:02

It looks less popular in Scotland, going on the stats. And as my longer term plan is to escape to Scotland (woo) I might just get away with it.

Just need to stop thinking of that annoying one out of Hollyoaks when everyone shortens it to Issy.

theagedparent Mon 12-Oct-09 23:00:42

Lots here in Devon too.

chaostrulyreigns Mon 12-Oct-09 23:02:53

Think Isobel is less common (as in frequent) than the others.

My Isobel has been known as Bel since about 6 months but is affectionately known as Billie as I soon stamped out Belly when the older 2 DDs started that.

Not keen on Issy though.

Muser Mon 12-Oct-09 23:06:21

I think I would go for a Bel shortening. Athough my mum's cat is called Belle. Possibly Bea. Gets me away from Issy!

cityangel Mon 12-Oct-09 23:07:15

It's popular in East London nurseries ... if you care about popularity don't choose it.

If you love it and the various forms it will be shortened to then go for it

thesecondcoming Mon 12-Oct-09 23:09:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bumpybecky Mon 12-Oct-09 23:14:51

I know loads, but none spelt Isobel

dd2 is Isabel and there are two Isabelles in her class, so that's 3 out of 12 girls. There are more Isabel(lle)s in the year above and below.

None of them are Bel(le) though, all Izzy (which I like, so that's Ok with me)

LilianGish Mon 12-Oct-09 23:21:37

Quite a few, but because it's a lovely name not because it's the name of the moment iyswim.

AllotmentMum Mon 12-Oct-09 23:26:01

My middle name is Isobel, and I have always loved it - much better than my first name. Never come across another spelt the same way.

nooka Tue 13-Oct-09 01:22:36

Isobel is unusual, but all the other variations add up, especially Isabella (in the top 10 for the last few years):

www.babynamewizard.com/voyager#prefix=IS&ms=true&sw=f&exact=false

CheerfulYank Tue 13-Oct-09 02:11:45

I like it a lot. It's quite popular here, but not that spelling (which btw is my favorite )

LaDiDaDi Tue 13-Oct-09 02:38:35

I think if you add up all of the variation spellings then it's pretty popular, look on the top 100 names and all of the variations are there.

I love it though, it's dd's middle name with that spelling.

LunarSea Tue 13-Oct-09 06:33:02

I read somewhere recently that if you added up the various spellings of is(a|o)be(l|ll)(-|e|a) it would actually be the number 1 girls name in England and Wales at the moment. More baby Isabellas than Isobels around here there.

newpup Tue 13-Oct-09 07:23:54

I know one Isobel, one Isabelle and one Isabella. All known as Issy!

purepurple Tue 13-Oct-09 07:27:33

I know about 6, including one called Ysabelle.

Pollyanna Tue 13-Oct-09 08:13:10

there are 2 (previously) 3 in my daughter's class in school - including her (she is Isabella).

It is fairly common in her age group (6). A lovely name though, although I'm not sure I would have used it had I realised how common it was.

KERALA1 Tue 13-Oct-09 14:47:47

Lots and lots of Isabellas, fewer Isobels (which personallly I much prefer anyway Isabella is abit fussy IMO)

TanyaBranning Tue 13-Oct-09 14:50:24

I know 4 Isabellas, one Isabelle, two Isabels and one Isobel. All under 10 yrs old and all Londoners except the Isobel, who's in Glasgow.

I still think it's a pretty name, though. That's why it's so common. It's like Olivia. Common because it's lovely smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now