Talk

Advanced search

Persian Names

(39 Posts)
PixiNanny Mon 12-Oct-09 22:28:48

I don't actually have a child and neither am I expecting to have one within the next year or so, however I love this section of the forums

Anyways, I've always been quite clear to myself that when I had kids I'd give them names that are Persian (but could be gotten away with in the UK) as a sign of respect to my father's heritage (and I just love them!).

Just wondering if anyone knows any nice Persian names really. Me and my partner are constantly joking/talking about it but he denies my favourite two names shock (Darius and Roxana aren't that bad are they? grin)
On my lovely list so far are:

Girls: Darya
Laleh
Layly (I love this for reasons unknown as I know it sounds silly!)
Lily
Mina
Mitra (know a not-nice-girl with a similar name though)
Pareesa/Paree (bit chavvish but quite pretty in meaning)
Samira
Tara
Roxana
Ava
Lila
Parvaneh (not English sounding, but pretty)

Boys:
Cyrus
Darius
Kiyan
Sam
Three 'kingly' names too there hmm

P.S. Yes I know, I'm petty for thinking of kids names before I even have them, but to be fair; I'd really like a child but am waiting until I am a) a little older, b) a little more well-travelled, and c) in the right financial state. So thinking about potential names for potential children keeps me happy for now grin

P.S.S. Not even sure if some of them are genuinely Persian either, girls names that is, as my knowledge of the language consists of "yek, doh, seh... bist-o-noh" and saying "Salaam Pedar."

MrsVik Tue 13-Oct-09 10:56:26

I like Laleh, Lily, Mina, Samira, Tara, Ava, Lila and all of the boys names!

I was just like you - I'd always be fantasizing about baby names! Now it's actually come down to choosing one with my partner it's totally different and we've come up with a name that I'd never considered before!

sayanything Tue 13-Oct-09 10:59:12

I love Laleh and Kiyan. And Sam.

Mitra meens uterus in Greek, so not so much grin.

Cortina Tue 13-Oct-09 12:20:37

Tanaz (girl)

JohnnyYellowHat Tue 13-Oct-09 12:42:46

I love Maryam, it's a really pretty name. Also like Sarira - and I know a beautiful Mitra! Really like some of your other girls names, too. Of your boys names I love Cyrus - I've been considering it as a middle name for DC2 if it's a boy.

JohnnyYellowHat Tue 13-Oct-09 12:43:32

I love Maryam, it's a really pretty name. Also like Sarira - and I know a beautiful Mitra! Really like some of your other girls names, too. Of your boys names I love Cyrus - I've been considering it as a middle name for DC2 if it's a boy.

JohnnyYellowHat Tue 13-Oct-09 12:44:27

Oops, sorry! Posted twice blush.

PixiNanny Tue 13-Oct-09 12:53:26

I didn't know about Mitra meaning uterus! Maybe not then lol

I love thinking of kids names, my parents had a short list of names for girls and just Sam for a boy, luckily they had three girls grin

Maryam is nice, any idea what it means?

I personally love Darius and Kiyan, though Cyrus is also well-liked

I wouldn't use middle names either probs, if I have kids with my boyfriend they'd have a Persian first name and a double-barreled surname which would be Persian-French, so difficult enough to begin with! haha

sayanything Tue 13-Oct-09 13:07:44

Well, only in Greek Pixi and depending on how you'd pronounce it (m-ee-tra would be uterus, hence endometriosis), so it shouldn't be much of a problem anywhere except Greece and Cyprus, I'd guess!

TheBlairSnitchProject Tue 13-Oct-09 13:09:27

My sister is called Leilah.

She's never had any issues and she's in her mid twenties now so it seems to go down well in the UK

JohnnyYellowHat Tue 13-Oct-09 14:48:21

Pixi, Maryam is a flower - a type of rose, I think.

PixiNanny Tue 13-Oct-09 15:51:07

Only in Greeky maybe, but it doesn't mean that it wouldn't be recognised elsewhere grin

I like Leilah, but have met quite a few little Leilah's so I fear it's becoming a popular name once again. Hm..

jkklpu Thu 15-Oct-09 19:45:44

Scheherazade, if you actually have Persian heritage. V beautiful. I was at school with a Parisa with a brother called Darius.

zebramummy Thu 15-Oct-09 20:40:12

caspar - or does it spook you out?
sahar, zara

MmeFrouFrou Fri 16-Oct-09 11:53:34

I'm married to an Iranian but didn't give my children Persian names as I didn't like most of the ones I knew, apart from Leïla and Kian and Anissa. And they were all used in the family so DH didn't want them.

For my youngest son, it took us ages to choose and twice we had to pick again as the name meant something rude in Persian.

Second time of changing, my son was actually born when we realized, so I spent the first couple of days with him in one arm and a book of names in the other, desperately trying to find something suitable. Got so fed up, nearly called him Vincent shockafter the doctor

minervaitalica Fri 16-Oct-09 11:56:34

Love the sound of all of those, and none of them sounds like they will pose a problem on the playgroud... Not sure about Mitra though if she ever wants to set foot in Italy - it means machine gun... grin

BlueChampagne Fri 16-Oct-09 13:02:46

Hi Pixi - don't wait too long for c) - I'm not sure it exists grin!

Had a uni friend called Samara and a school friend called Afsanah (Affy).

malfoy Fri 16-Oct-09 13:05:54

I know a Sahira -pronounced saira.

iwascyteenagewerewolf Fri 16-Oct-09 13:12:25

Afarin. Lovely name. The one I knew had a twin called Medea.

holytoast Sat 17-Oct-09 10:04:55

has a iranian friend called Meisoon - not sure how traditional it is though - but lovely!

ToffeeCrumble Sat 17-Oct-09 10:16:19

Mina is gorgeous and I like Darius for a boy.

I think Darius Danesh will be forgotten by the time your little one is in the playground. (Whenever you might have him or her grin)

BikeRunSki Sat 17-Oct-09 10:32:27

Love Darius.

Went to school with a half Persian/half Yorkshire Darius. His mum was Lily - first time I'd come across it as a name. It was quite as omnipresent in the 1970s as it is now!

And hey, don;t wait for a, b or c, and certainly not a combo of all three. Wait for gut feeling. Or you may have a very long wait. Life goes on after they're born you know.

Linnet Sat 17-Oct-09 11:01:19

Kira is a persian name it means sun/light.

Firawla Sat 17-Oct-09 13:39:33

Layly is cute not silly & Pareesa is v pretty
Kiyan and Sam are the best of those boys names to me

PixiNanny Sat 17-Oct-09 17:36:35

I love the name Mitra, but my roommate last year at PGL was called Mytra and we didn't end on a good note so that one is forever on the bottom of my list haha

BlueChampagne: don't say that! lol though tbh, I doubt I'd be having kids before I'm 50 if I waited for it, as I love volunteering and lower pay jobs (outdoors work) so I'll never have enough money for anything!

ToffeeCrumble: Darius Danesh is the only reason my boyfriend refuses that name! I love Darius (both the singer and the name blush) but he refuses it for potential children pouts

Linnet: Kira's pretty, never knew that it had Persian background

BikeRunSki: My gut feeling would be to have kids now as I love them so much, but I think down the line ten years I'd regret it! I'm only 20 though so I have a lot of time to settle down still Just dreaming up names until then! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now