Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

I am not going to give my baby a surname

(244 Posts)
stewpid Sun 11-Oct-09 09:58:47

DP and I have decided not to give our new baby a traditional surname. We have issues with both our families and no desire to perpetuate their names with our offspring.

We have two inspirational friends who have passed away. They're names were Elizabeth and Anne. In honour of them our DD will have their names as her surname. So her full name will be Iris Poppy Elizabeth-Anne.

I know some people will think this is stupid but we think it is beautiful and meaningful.

Has anyone here done anything like this? What do people think?

GhoulsAreLoud Sun 11-Oct-09 10:01:01

Assuming this is real, I know a couple who weren't married and when they had DC they all changed their name to Champion.

I didn't think anything of it.

MrsJamin Sun 11-Oct-09 10:03:12

stewpid - try telling that to the registry office, also your DD will not thank you for having a name that you can't easily write down on a form. At some point, health/education/banks will NEED a family name. You might as well decide on that now rather than someone else in an authority deciding it for you.

ninedragons Sun 11-Oct-09 10:03:20

By all means choose a new surname, but as it stands your DD will spend the next 90-odd years saying "no, it's just Iris Poppy Elizabeth-Anne. No, that's it. Elizabeth-Anne IS my surname. Yes, really. Oh for fuck's sake, here's my driving licence."

stewpid Sun 11-Oct-09 10:03:44

I am definitely real! My "stewpid" tag is not a sign of a piss-take, its the word DSS used when he heard our plans!

allaboutme Sun 11-Oct-09 10:04:25

I dont think its stupid. I think its a very nice idea.
I do think you ought to try and make the last name of your child sound less like a 'first name' though to avoid her getting questions all the time and teasing.
No one will bat an eyelid if she has a different surname to you when she is a child, but people will say 'WHAT?!?' if you say she has no surname.
Is there anyway you can amalgamate Elizabeth and Anne in some way to make a proper surname?

stewpid Sun 11-Oct-09 10:05:34

MesJamin - we have checked and the registry office would be fine with this name. Elizabeth-Anna would be her family name. She would have one. And it would be a lvoely one commemorating two great women, rather than one passed on by generations of bastard men in her family line.

JustBeBuffy Sun 11-Oct-09 10:05:44

What were the surnames of these friends? wouldn't that make (slightly) more sense?

chachachachacha Sun 11-Oct-09 10:06:04

Elizanne would make a nice family name.

VineGruesomeTits Sun 11-Oct-09 10:06:43

Honestly, i think it a ridiculous idea, she will have to go through school explaining why she doesn't have the same name as her parents

(i also have my doubts about this being real hmm)

stewpid Sun 11-Oct-09 10:07:29

Using their surnames would undermine the whole idea. We are commemorating them not the bastard men in their ancestry.

GhoulsAreLoud Sun 11-Oct-09 10:07:44

Is the surname Elizabeth-Anne or Elizabeth-Anna? You've put both.

steaknifethroughtheheart Sun 11-Oct-09 10:07:48

Sounds like a nice idea and I think the names sound well together.

The only thing I can think that might be worth considering is the amount of explaining you will be doing.

them - Surname please
you - Elizabeth-Anne
them - no, surname please
you - yes, Elizabeth-Anne
them - no Madam I need the surname
you - that is the surname Elizabeth-Anne

and so on.

I am not saying don't do it but be prepared to have that conversation alot.

I did read an article about a lady that changed her name to just having a first name. She said it was okay untill computers took over everything and they can't cope with an empty box on the surname bit.

DorotheaPlentighoul Sun 11-Oct-09 10:08:47

Wouldn't it be simpler for your DD if you used Elizabeth's or Anne's surname, instead of using their first names for a surname?

If this is genuine hmm then you're being a bit selfish and airy-fairy to foist this on her. Having two first names for a surname will, as ninedragons pointed out, be a massive PITA for her, and she will almost certainly end up changing them in the long run anyway.

stewpid Sun 11-Oct-09 10:09:06

Vine - I doubt anyone will notice she has different names to us. Lots of kids have different names to their mum or dad. However, we are keeping our minds open to changing our own surnames to Elizabeth-Anne.

DorotheaPlentighoul Sun 11-Oct-09 10:09:40

OK, just saw your "bastard men" reasoning.

hmm hmm

colditz Sun 11-Oct-09 10:10:21

I think it sounds airy-fairy to the point of ridiculous.

By all means have 'ideal's just don't inflict them on your poor daughter who will spend the first 15 years of her life saying "I haven't got a surname though!" and every year after that saying "Oh, Gawd, my parents were daft twats, put me down as Smith, would you?"

GhoulsAreLoud Sun 11-Oct-09 10:10:46

If this is trolling it's pisspoor, not even remotely funny.

<hides thread>

purepurple Sun 11-Oct-09 10:10:51

Barking
That's all I have to say.

VineGruesomeTits Sun 11-Oct-09 10:11:22

But Elizabeth-Anne is not a surname, she will spend her whole life trying to explain that

Nice thought, but not very practical, why cant you use those names as middle names, then choose as Surname that you can all use

allaboutme Sun 11-Oct-09 10:12:01

Why dont you give her Elizabeth as a middle name and just 'Anne' as the surname then?
It will commenmorate both women without mentioning the 'bastard men' and will be a lot simpler for her to explain that 'Anne' is her surname. It may still be unusual and sound like a first name but at least will be easier to understand than having 2 first names as a surname perhaps?

LowLevelWhingeing Sun 11-Oct-09 10:12:18

So there were no women in their ancestry, just bastard men?

riiiiiiight hmm

Georgimama Sun 11-Oct-09 10:13:16

So is your partner a "bastard man"? What if you have a son - will he be a "bastard man" too? How very strange you are.

Your daughter will curse you for all the administrative reasons listed above and just call herself by one of your surnames when she is old enough, I can guarantee it.

VineGruesomeTits Sun 11-Oct-09 10:13:59

Oh ffs, cant deal with trolls and a hangover too, jog on

Did all of your school reports have 'must try harder' comments on?

purepurple Sun 11-Oct-09 10:14:38

I get the impression that the DP is not a bastard man.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: