Talk

Advanced search

Names which have been ruined for you by popular culture.

(9 Posts)
persephoneplum Fri 09-Oct-09 05:33:33

There seem to be a lot of names which have been adversely affected by popular culture. Others remain untainted for some reason.

I was deeply resentful when that overly hip, self-conscious movie Juno came out a few years ago. I found the movie painful and resented that a favourite name of mine was now the only association most people have of the name.

It's probably still a middle name contender for us, as it's a nice alternative to using Jane/Jean/Joan/Jan we have in our immediate family, without actually using any of those names yet is still a nod to them.

Another is Ursula - I could burn every copy of that darned mermaid movie, whose hideous villain is the first thing people think of.

What names have been ruined for you?

pollydianasmummy Fri 09-Oct-09 06:05:27

Harry because of Harry Potter
Alfie because of Eastenders (I love the name Alfred)
Sue there are others.

Cortina Fri 09-Oct-09 06:52:19

Alica - Aleeysha, and its various spellings and celebs with all the variations.

Lyra - well I wouldn't have considered it if not for the PP books but that said the association will always be with the books.

Hermione - As above but JKR. Although thanks to JKR most can now spell it.

Victoria - Beckham, inevitably (at least in my head)

Rocco - Madonna got there before I did

Am sure there are many more!

RnB Fri 09-Oct-09 06:56:35

Nero = not exactly popular culturem but damn him grin

Tortington Fri 09-Oct-09 07:00:23

but his cafes do a nice cuppa

canella Fri 09-Oct-09 07:00:23

i loved the name vanessa but no way i could have called dd that 8 years ago - everyone would have associated it with that large annoying blonde woman!

Prunerz Fri 09-Oct-09 07:03:57

Delia.

I love it. But I cannot stand that Smith woman.

skinsl Fri 09-Oct-09 07:14:23

We always had the name Grace for our first, if it was a girl. It was a boy, so we called him William. Now a bit buggered for girls name, cos couldn't really bring myself to have "Will and Grace"!!!

Cortina Fri 09-Oct-09 08:17:07

Would still go for Will and Grace if I liked both!

Just call them Grace and Will!

Some really worry about name combinations for example friends that were worried about having a Sam and Ella.

Just call them Ella and Sam! Honestly wouldn't put me off if I loved the names enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now