Talk

Advanced search

Sophia

(27 Posts)
andonemakesthree Wed 07-Oct-09 20:28:39

Quite like this name for DD, DH think it's getting too popular. Does everyone agree?

forkhandles Wed 07-Oct-09 20:31:11

I know two little Sophia's, about 4 and 5 yrs old, but not overly popular. I like it

persephoneplum Wed 07-Oct-09 22:59:21

Sophia is all over this area like a rash, along with the impossibly popular Sophie - yes they're different names, but you can't really separate them if you catch my drift?

The both remind me of soap and yes I do agree Sophia is very popular - if this matters to you, stay away from it.

alarkaspree Wed 07-Oct-09 23:04:55

It's extremely popular. I would stay away - dd has a very popular name and it does drive me a bit crazy tbh.

Megglevache Wed 07-Oct-09 23:06:01

I can't imagine anyone not liking this name. It is stunning!

andonemakesthree Thu 08-Oct-09 09:53:19

persephoneplum, DH agrees, he really likes the name but thinks that DD would inevitably be nicknamed Sophie somewhere along the way, even though they are both different names. A bit like an India gets called Indie.

Any other suggestions?

Flowerface Thu 08-Oct-09 11:29:48

Is Sophia Soph-eee-a or Soph-eye-a?

bellissima Thu 08-Oct-09 12:27:22

See discussions on earlier threads. To traditionalists (like me!) I would say Soph-eye-a. To others and Eastern Europeans Soph-ee-a, more like the capital of Bulgaria (although that, to be fair, puts the emphasis on the 'SOPH -ee-a).

BarbieLovesKen Thu 08-Oct-09 12:32:43

I think its beautiful. I have heard (through here and polls etc) that its popular but I dont know any Sophias. Its a classic name, it'll never date or go out of fashion anyway. Lovely.

tigerbear Thu 08-Oct-09 12:35:19

I don't any Sophia's either, or anyone who has a DD called Sophia. I would go for it, it's beautiful and elegant.

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 08-Oct-09 12:40:39

You have excellent taste, my dd is called Sophia. smile

There are no other Sophia's (there is one Sofia) in her school, however she is 13 and perhaps it has got more popular recently. You do have to nip people on the bud when they say Sophie (very annoying). Imo it is a lovely, classical name which will never date, and has a lovely meaning as well. Go for it! <biased>

CommonNortherner Thu 08-Oct-09 13:37:13

Very common around here

lou031205 Thu 08-Oct-09 13:41:34

DD3, 6mo has Sophia as her middle name.

KERALA1 Thu 08-Oct-09 14:17:10

It is quite common. I have always had a very unfair and irrational dislike of the names Sophie/Sophia to me they sound too much like soppy. Still if you like it go for it!

bess23 Thu 08-Oct-09 16:54:12

MMy dd is nine months old and I have met so many baby sophias and Sophies at every baby group I have been to.
it is lovely but extremely popular where I live.

bess23 Thu 08-Oct-09 16:55:23

MMy dd is nine months old and I have met so many baby sophias and Sophies at every baby group I have been to.
it is lovely but extremely popular where I live.

andonemakesthree Thu 08-Oct-09 22:50:22

It does sound like it's v. popular. DH said 'I told you so'! It's the only name I can think of that I like at the moment, need to have another think!

womma Fri 09-Oct-09 13:50:12

It's lovely, although I prefer Sofia for some reason. And Sophie is a lovely name too.

Anya4 Fri 09-Oct-09 14:14:16

How would you pronounce Sophia ? with 'fear' or 'fire' at the end ?
Thinking about it for my own list !

womma Fri 09-Oct-09 15:01:13

I like So-fear, as in Loren

humanfraggle Fri 09-Oct-09 15:38:10

I do think it's a beautiful name and was top of our list for a long time, until everyone seemed to be called Sophie or Sophia!

We want to choose a less popular name so have removed it from the list now...

stuffitllllama Fri 09-Oct-09 15:41:25

Beautiful.

also has the best girl's nickname in the whole world

"Sophs"

<swoon>

LilianGish Fri 09-Oct-09 15:51:40

Gorgeous, timeless and with no naff connotations. Popular bcause it is lovely, but not in a way that will mark her out as a 2009 baby iyswim.

rosieposey Fri 09-Oct-09 15:56:40

Womma i have a Sofia grin When she was born 17 years ago there were plenty of Sophies around but hardly any Sophias - i liked it as it was a little unusual (at the time) and i also like the alternative spelling. Its such a pretty name and it really suits her (she is v beautiful but i am biased )

FurryFox Fri 09-Oct-09 15:58:17

Just to add I have a just 4 year old Sophie, we have only met one other Sophie which was at nursery. There are nearly 60 children in her two reception classes and no other Sophie's or Sophia's. I do have a friend with a 2 yr old Sophia. Perhaps it is more popular in some areas than others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now