Talk

Advanced search

Heathcliff?

(17 Posts)
SuziDee Wed 07-Oct-09 11:53:39

I absolutely LOVE the name Heathcliff Heath for short.

Would you? Do you think that the negative connotation of Wuthering Heights makes it a total no no?

just interested....

AnnVan Wed 07-Oct-09 13:16:20

Well I can think of another famous Heathcliff
ie Heath Ledger smile Although he did die a tragic death sad

Iklboo Wed 07-Oct-09 13:18:10

And the cartoon cat from the 80s

ChilloHippi Wed 07-Oct-09 13:27:59

At first I thought 'nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo' but, thinking about, it's quite nice.

KembleTwins Wed 07-Oct-09 13:32:38

Nooooooo! Terrible. In Wuthering Heights, it was a made up name which served as first and surname. That was part of the problem - he never had a proper name and was never treated like a proper person by the Earnshaws. And he's not exactly a nice character. I don't think Heath Ledger was Heathcliff - just Heath (according to Wiki, anyway)

Bucharest Wed 07-Oct-09 13:34:31

Just watch he doesn't go tramping over the moors to bang his head on trees and wail at the moon.....

bellissima Wed 07-Oct-09 13:43:57

Er, now I realise that when there was a 'most pretentious name....' thread, some people got rather offended when all they had done was choose names which, to them, were unusual or literary or cultural or whatever - only to have others snigger etc.

But honestly, if you name your poor DS Heathcliff..

corblimeymadam Wed 07-Oct-09 13:48:28

Message withdrawn

AnnVan Wed 07-Oct-09 14:50:15

Hmm it's not clear about Heath ledger actually on imdb it says 'AKA Heathcliff Andrew Ledger' and that he and his sister Kate were named after the two main characters from Wuthering Heights. SO now I'm not sure.
I think it's a nice sounding name, but the wuthering heights connection would probably lead to some teasing/bullying?

hullygully Wed 07-Oct-09 14:52:43

Belgian - I wanted to do that. I'm even wearing the ruched dress.

wheresmypaddle Wed 07-Oct-09 14:56:09

I agree with some others- its a nice sounding name but the WH connection would make it a nono for me. Especially as WH is a classic book, known to young (assume schools still using as a text??!!) and old, and will probably still be well known for ever - so the connection will not go away....

mrswoolf Wed 07-Oct-09 15:12:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PuppyMonkey Wed 07-Oct-09 15:18:55

I have a friend called just Heath (in his 30s). No Cliffs in sight. I think it's quite nice. Heath, I mean. Course everyone will assume it's after Mr Ledger, but what the hey.

belgo Wed 07-Oct-09 15:18:59

Stick to Heath, Heathcliff is dreadful.

SuziDee Wed 07-Oct-09 15:19:01

Thanks for opinions, I will have to agree otherwise I wouldn't be asking in the first place! Sometimes I think pregnancy can seriously affect your judgement. Will have to stay as the name for my dream child..... in a dream world where I never had to share his name at a toddler group....smile

Cortina Thu 08-Oct-09 15:06:28

What about Branwell? Sort of Heathcliffesque in tragic associations with a Bronte theme?

simplesusan Thu 08-Oct-09 23:10:08

I never knew that about Heath Ledger Annvan. I was at school with a Heath and as far as I know he was never teased about his name.
I think you would be very brave to call him Heathcliff but I absolutely love Wuthering Heights.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now