Talk

Advanced search

Is Octavia pretentious?

(85 Posts)
persephoneplum Wed 07-Oct-09 11:31:40

I have loved this name for a long time now and about 6 months ago, decided if I ever had a girl child, she would be called this.

I've got cold feet now and feel it might be a bit pretentious - and I have no problem with strong names,a lot of my favourites have cropped up in the other 'pretentious' thread - but I am considering if it would affect a child adversely.

Freya is my second choice and despite its extreme popularity in Britain, it doesn't even crack top 1200 in my state of Australia. Do you think this might be a better choice in terms of how a name affects a person?

LilyBolero Wed 07-Oct-09 11:34:38

I have a Skoda Octavia car.

Tidey Wed 07-Oct-09 11:43:03

Personally, I prefer Freya because Octavia does sound like a very posh person's name. But for all I know, you might be very posh, in which case, go for it.

That probably didn't help did it? Sorry.

dingledangle Wed 07-Oct-09 11:44:10

I am afraid I am with the previous poster that an Octavia is a car.

MamiBabi Wed 07-Oct-09 11:46:41

Not sure it's a great idea to name a baby after a car!

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 07-Oct-09 11:47:22

it is certainly a big and formal name, so is bound to be shortened, if not by you, by her mates as she gets older. I do like it though.

If you like it, then go for itgrin

persephoneplum Wed 07-Oct-09 11:47:51

Hehehe, no cars by that name where I live - still, if that's your association, that's that! Does it seat eight by any chance?

We're not all that posh - somewhere in the middle really. My husband comes from a posh upbringing but is definitely more of a leftie than his family.

PuppyMonkey Wed 07-Oct-09 11:49:19

It is yes. Pretentious.

Reminds me of Octavia the Ostrich from Pipkins too.

mrswoolf Wed 07-Oct-09 11:51:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ConFuschias Wed 07-Oct-09 12:01:12

Lovely name, but Skoda made it unusable imo.

womma Wed 07-Oct-09 12:08:06

Octavia is a nice name - it's my friend's name, although it is shortened to Tave.

MmeGoblindt Wed 07-Oct-09 12:09:36

I would have liked it if I had not heard of the car. Fab car btw.

Freya is lovely, I actually prefer it.

RnB Wed 07-Oct-09 12:11:32

I like it - but the car does ruin it imho. Would be on my list otherwise

largeginandtonic Wed 07-Oct-09 12:13:46

I love it smile

If i have another baby (would be #8) the Octavia/Octavius is top of the list.

No one will remember the car in years to come.

persephoneplum Wed 07-Oct-09 12:20:23

I agree largeginandtonic. The car issue is a total non-issue for me, especially seeing as we don't even see Skodas on the road here.

Now an eighth baby certainly calls for one of those fantastic names!

Tidey Wed 07-Oct-09 12:22:53

The car would not enter my head hearing the name. My first thought was the Jilly Cooper book blush

largeginandtonic Wed 07-Oct-09 12:25:10

Oh i love Jilly Cooper blush

womma Wed 07-Oct-09 12:50:05

Freya, on the other hand is just awful

GrendelsMum Wed 07-Oct-09 12:50:12

If anyone comments on the car, you can just raise a (posh) eyebrow and say 'a type of car? I don't remember a Bentley Octavia. Is it new?'

I think it's a lovely name, and I think the car will be gone before too long. The only Octavia I knew of was called Twiggy for short!

JulesJules Wed 07-Oct-09 12:55:30

Octavia is a beautiful name. If you like it, you should go for it.

I knew an Octavia who was V or VV for short, I think that's really pretty too.

aarghhelp Wed 07-Oct-09 12:59:30

Best if you have another 7 little plums I think!

Thissideofchannel Wed 07-Oct-09 13:09:47

I love Octavia! And the car certainly won't be around in another 5-10 years anyway.

I don't really like Freya at all.

Should also add that I don't get the whole 'pretentious' issue either, perhaps because I'm not British grin.

Kwini Wed 07-Oct-09 13:13:24

Go for it if you love it! Octavia is a Latin name - it was around for thousands of years before the car came along, and it will be around for a long time after we stop using cars altogether!

Similarly, if people think that a child called Clio was named after a car, their ignorance is their problem, frankly! She'll always be the muse of history to me

jasper Wed 07-Oct-09 13:23:25

Yes it is but it is also lovely

ChilloHippi Wed 07-Oct-09 13:28:30

Yes it is pretentious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now