Talk

Advanced search

Have named DS1&2 after grandparents, expecting DD1, are we obliged to do the same?

(8 Posts)
gemstones Wed 07-Oct-09 11:30:38

Hi

We have 2 DS and expecting DD1. We named our 2DS after both parents/grandparents. I feel though maybe we should do the same with DD1 (when she arrives in Jan) although dont like the female names in both families, also its hard not to upset anyone.
OR shall we just go for name/s that are not in the family?

Thanks

persephoneplum Wed 07-Oct-09 11:33:22

Nope, you're not at all obliged. I would stick one of the names in the middle at least, and choose a name I liked! I couldn't ever choose a name I didn't love and doing it out of a sense of obligation isn't doing anyone any favours.

iwouldgoouttonight Wed 07-Oct-09 11:33:59

If you don't like the family names I'd choose others. We named DD after mine and DP's grandmothers and DS has a random name not connected with the family as both grandfathers had names we weren't keen on!!

Tidey Wed 07-Oct-09 11:34:56

I don't think you're under any obligation to use family names, especially if you don't even like the names in question. Is there a particular female relative that is expecting you to use her name? Could you maybe use any of the names as a middle name if you really had no choice?

Go with the names you love, not what other people want.

MamaG Wed 07-Oct-09 11:35:25

agree with others. why don't you tell us the names and we'll suggest variations?

edam Wed 07-Oct-09 11:35:37

No, of course you don't. If you like any of them enough for a middle name it would be a nice gesture but it is NOT obligatory!

diddl Wed 07-Oct-09 13:28:47

No, no obligation, especially if you don´t like the names.

Lancelottie Wed 07-Oct-09 13:36:21

Tricky, though, isn't it, when you feel you've set a precedent? We gave both boys middle names after grandparents, but just couldn't bring ourselves to land our daughter with Sheila or Vanessa. So we let the boys help to pick her name instead, and told family it was to let them feel involved (mind you, we did reject anything along the lines of Teddy/Daffodil/PooPooHead).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now