Talk

Advanced search

May or Mae?

(18 Posts)
LittlePeanut Mon 05-Oct-09 22:09:18

I'm not one normally to mess about with the traditional spelling of a name.

But I really like Mae.

does anyone know if this is a silly made up spelling? Or is it a legitimate traditional version?

Thanks.

Love Mae, don't think it's made up!

Maya is also gorgeous

tobago04 Mon 05-Oct-09 22:12:28

My dds middle name is Maesmile

Squishabelle Mon 05-Oct-09 22:14:45

Prefer May because dozens of baby girls seem to be getting called something-hyphen-Mae at the moment. Tis very very common near where I live. I think May is the proper spelling. Mae does seem to be a bit made-up.

LittlePeanut Mon 05-Oct-09 22:15:00

Agree Maya is gorgeous. But I have two friends who have Mayas.

So Mae is an old fashioned version, as well as May?

jemart Mon 05-Oct-09 22:16:11

Isn't Mae the Chinese spelling? Personally I prefer May - it was my Great Grandmother's name.

googles ~wiki's~

Mae

LittlePeanut Mon 05-Oct-09 22:22:38

Ah yes, might be Chinese actually. That rings a bell.

ramonaquimby Mon 05-Oct-09 22:24:41

prefer May as well, Mae seems a bit cartoonish.

We have a dd with middle name May (grandmother's name)

But agree that it's not made up, if you like it, go for it!

Vanessa Mae might be the reason for that

LittlePeanut Mon 05-Oct-09 22:25:20

Ooh thanks for the link! Hadn't thought of Mae West! hmmm... now I really can't decide.

bruffin Mon 05-Oct-09 22:25:35

My DD (and my mum and nan) have May as a middle name , Mae I think may be more an
the american version ie Mae West, though not keen on it.

lockets Mon 05-Oct-09 23:10:45

Message withdrawn

cityangel Mon 05-Oct-09 23:18:01

Mae or Mya

exexpat Mon 05-Oct-09 23:24:44

The Chinese version is Mei, and it also works in Japanese - they are both girls' names and pronounced the same as May. Various meanings, including beautiful, younger sister and plum blossom, depending on which Chinese character is used to write it. It's my DD's middle name...

gagamama Tue 06-Oct-09 09:32:54

I think Mae will age her much more than May would. It might seem a cute and edgy spelling now, but give it 35 years and all the Mae/Rae/Fae etcs will be firmly located in the late-noughties. IMO.

bellissima Tue 06-Oct-09 14:20:22

Agree gagamama. Its like the early noughties Mias/Mayas.

claretherese Thu 22-Oct-09 08:43:14

my great grandmother's name was Lillian Mae, known as 'Lilly' and my grandmother was the same, known as 'Mae'
My sister is Elizabeth Mae, mainly called Ellie but is still known in the family as 'Lily Mae'.

i didn't realise that Mae could be grouped in with the Rae's of the naughties generation but we have one of them in the family too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now