Talk

Advanced search

Sam vs Harry?

(12 Posts)
backofbeyond Sun 04-Oct-09 11:57:09

Which boy's name would you choose and why? (not so bothered about popularity issues, more feel of name and types of people it suits.)

Tombliboobs Sun 04-Oct-09 12:08:22

To me they are both the same iyswim.
The children I know with the names are all similar. They suit a lively, bit cheeky and fun loving boy.

If I had to pick either (though I wouldn't as I know loads) it would be Harry, or I would do Samuel. All the Samuels I know became Sams instantly.

rachel234 Sun 04-Oct-09 12:14:23

I wouldn't choose either. I know loads of Sams and Harrys including gentle, loud, active and passive ones, so have no specific image in mind.

sonniboo Sun 04-Oct-09 12:18:18

Why would the name Sam or Harry only suit certain types of people..?

Personally, I wouldn't choose either as I find both a little dull, but if you like them, they're both fine and will suit any boy imo.

backofbeyond Sun 04-Oct-09 12:47:07

i spose what i'm asking is how people make final name choices when down to two. those are our favourites - just looking for thoughts that swing me one way or other really.

TrillianSlasher Sun 04-Oct-09 12:50:22

Is Harry short for something?

If there wasn't already a Sam in my close family I would pick Sam out of the two as it has a long and short form, and I like the idea of giving children the option of picking versions of their name.

bess23 Sun 04-Oct-09 13:37:40

Harry is short for Henry although seems to be a name in its own right.

Nyx Sun 04-Oct-09 13:38:55

Harry is short for Harold.

I prefer Sam - just personal preference though.

LaDiDaDi Sun 04-Oct-09 13:39:59

I prefer Samuel.

jellybeans Sun 04-Oct-09 13:41:40

I like Sam and Harry but prefer Harry as am not too keen on unisex names such as Sam, Alex etc.

alittleteapot Sun 04-Oct-09 14:21:45

dh thinks harry a bit posh/hooray henry and sam more down to earth. i think sam feels quieter, harry a bit more stand out from crowd (albeit v popular i know...)

backofbeyond Sun 04-Oct-09 14:27:47

ok, interesting. suppose it depends who you know/hv known with that name... maybe one last look at book

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now