Talk

Advanced search

Judas?

(80 Posts)
Zil131 Sun 04-Oct-09 05:46:32

DH is thinking 'Judas Piest' - cool.
I'm thinking biblical based insult "You Judas..."
He would probaly be a 'Jude', but I'm a fan of traditional names on birth cerificates.

Opinions..??

DorotheaPlentighoul Sun 04-Oct-09 06:47:18

Didn't I read somewhere that Judas was actually not such a bad fellow, it was all a stitch-up, etc? Or am I imagining that? <clueless about the Bible emoticon>

Still, I think most people think of him in a negative light.

MrsBadger Sun 04-Oct-09 06:51:20

no

just no

Sorry Dorothea, you might be right historically but the bible is pretty unequivical

mrsgboring Sun 04-Oct-09 07:13:03

there is another, perfectly blameless Judas in the bible.

still no.

Tambajam Sun 04-Oct-09 07:15:58

I agree with Dorothea that Judas is getting a bit of a rewrite. He was doing what was required in order that Jesus became the Messiah. SOMEONE had to do it or there'd be no Christianity. You could actually read the new testament as Jesus sort of pushing him into it in a Derren Brown sort of way.
However you'd better get your research done now and provide a 500 word essay on the subject because you'll be discussing the evils of Judas a whole lot in the next few decades. Whatever the reality is, the name is used as an insult and has a negative association. I think you should stick with Jude which is a name in its own right.

dizzydixies Sun 04-Oct-09 08:07:30

am afraid I agree with the other posters, regardless of your own personal take on the historical events its going to attract a lot of negative comments and demand explanations - am not say that is right for any person's choice of baby name however as long as you are aware its going to happen

I'm afraid being perfectly honest I wouldn't set him up with a name with such an association straight off and probably go for Jude

ninedragons Sun 04-Oct-09 08:30:05

Awful. If I met a Judas I would think his parents were uneducated, idiots or both.

SardineQueen Sun 04-Oct-09 08:39:07

No way.

Biblical judas is the one everyone will think of. really not good

LeonieBooCreepy Sun 04-Oct-09 08:40:08

Message withdrawn

nulgirl Sun 04-Oct-09 08:43:53

I know someone who called her son this. They are middle class, well educated and quite religious. Maybe they were naming him after the other Judas who Mrs Boring refers to.

I still wouldn't though

seeker Sun 04-Oct-09 08:44:56

I suppose he could carry a laminated copy of your biblical exegesis with him everywhere he goes. That'll helop when people are pointing and chanting JUDAS JUDAS JUDAS at him.

Jude is a good name though. Could it be short for anything else? I know one but I think he's just Jude. What about Jude Law?

Judah? Or is that like calling a baby Bethlehem?

MrsBadger Sun 04-Oct-09 08:46:31

seeker, Judah is a pukka Hebrew given name, he was one of Joseph's brothers

and even if it wasn;t it would be just the same as calling a girl Bethany...

CravingOlives Sun 04-Oct-09 08:46:55

I'm with Leonie, it says backstabber to me.

Jude is a lovely name. I know two, a baby and an 8 yo, and it suits them both beautifully.

seeker Sun 04-Oct-09 08:49:33

Didn't know that, MrsBadger - I was thinking Lion of Judah.

Sounds like a solution to me - let's hope the OP comes back!

bergentulip Sun 04-Oct-09 08:51:19

pah!

You canNOT call your child Judas!! (!)

piscesmoon Sun 04-Oct-09 08:52:30

You couldn't do it to a DC! It means one thing. Stick with Jude or Julian.

MrsBadger Sun 04-Oct-09 08:57:59

exactly seeker - he was a chap who founded a tribe and hence his eventual geographical kingdom was named after him

Joseph's bros were the founders of the '12 tribes of Israel'. Lots of Jewish people can trace their ancestry back to one specific one (eg the surname Cohen is usu passed down through the tribe of Levi).

'Lion of Judah' actually refers to the tribe/dynasty rtaher than the place though

skidoodle Sun 04-Oct-09 09:01:08

Jude is a traditional name, so problem solved.

Zil131 Sun 04-Oct-09 14:52:45

I wasn't sure whether Jude would be considered a unrelated name in it's own right.
Will appily veto Judas (Priest) though!!
Thanks

BonsoirAnna Sun 04-Oct-09 14:55:48

Jonas is much nicer than Judas.

donnie Sun 04-Oct-09 14:58:13

Judas betrayed Jesus for 13 pieces of silver. He is associated with the following:

- backstabbing and betrayal
- unlucky number 13
- hanging himself

so yes, go for it!

flimflammum Sun 04-Oct-09 15:05:43

donnie: LOL, but it was 30 pieces of silver not 13. He was the 13th disciple, I think.

OP: glad you've seen sense!

donnie Sun 04-Oct-09 16:25:10

flimflammum - I think you are right!

Clary Sun 04-Oct-09 16:32:55

You are kidding me surely shock

Like calling him Cain.

Judas was the 12th disciple btw, hence "11 that went to heaven" in the song.

Jude is fine. Apart from Jude the Obscure (ooops) - but Jude Law yum yum

janeite Sun 04-Oct-09 16:36:05

No - like calling a child Adolph imho. We have a Cain at school and tbh, he lives down to the name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now