justbeenforapromenade Sat 03-Oct-09 08:26:52

I love - and you?

littlerach Sat 03-Oct-09 08:41:19

I know an Elfie.
The name really suits her.

AngryAndFedUp Sat 03-Oct-09 08:47:33

It's cute, I likey!

Bucharest Sat 03-Oct-09 08:51:51

And if she ends up being built like a oil tanker?

Scorpette Sat 03-Oct-09 09:57:27

I love it. But DP has vetoed it for a future DD sad

bellissima Sat 03-Oct-09 10:17:56

Sounds a bit like a nn for something longer 'Elfradora' or the like. But ok, though maybe a bit childish.

I rather like all these E names - Edie, Evie, Edith, Elise, Eloise even - but I worry that, say looking down the cast list of a TV drama in twenty years - it's all going to look remarkably similar.

Thissideofchannel Sat 03-Oct-09 10:45:22

It is short for Elfriede and I don't think that is cute at all, actually.

ScummyMummy Sat 03-Oct-09 10:51:15

Sounds rather ethereal and middle earth. Could be difficult to pull off if you grew up to be of solid build or down to earth attitude, perhaps.

owlandpussycat Sat 03-Oct-09 10:53:35

Oo thought it was a boy's name- short for Elphinstone? My cousin's friend called this after his grandfather.

cookielove Sat 03-Oct-09 10:59:22

i think it is very pretty

shootfromthehip Sat 03-Oct-09 11:01:21

Mm. Not sure as it's stuck with the elf connotations in my mind. I know an Elvie which is lovely.

PuppyMonkey Sat 03-Oct-09 11:01:47

Bit too like Alfie.

mrswoolf Sat 03-Oct-09 12:47:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mwff Sat 03-Oct-09 12:59:32

effie yes, elife no.

Thandeka Sun 04-Oct-09 18:40:21

Wow was just about to start thread with same title! I absolutely love it (and alfie was first choice for boys name-but they think it's a girl) but because it may not be a great name past age of five we were thinking maybe ella fred but elfie for short! Fred is actually a girls name too and we quite like it but are aware we are cruel parents so may try and find a better f or ph middle name! I say go for it but also hoping it doesn't catch on as part of reason we gave up on ella is there are too many and don't want dd to be in class with others of same name.

Thandeka Sun 04-Oct-09 19:21:06

P.s I just asked my brother his opinion of the name and his response was "she'll get bullied by hobbits!" which made me laugh.

skidoodle Sun 04-Oct-09 19:24:42

I do not love.

moondog Sun 04-Oct-09 19:26:53

People will think it is Alfie but that you are a New Zealander or South African.

pointydoug Sun 04-Oct-09 19:28:36

awful

Jamieandhismagictorch Sun 04-Oct-09 19:37:52

No, the name is Elvie (female form of Alfie)

I like it

pointydoug Sun 04-Oct-09 19:39:31

a female form of alfie? SOUnd sodd

Merle Sun 04-Oct-09 21:29:05

Elfriede is lovely. Elfie as a shortened form. Makes me think of the dog in the book 'I'll always love you'.

lola0109 Sun 04-Oct-09 21:41:44

My nieces is Erin Louise F__ (ELF) and we have called her Elfie since she was born. Love it, very cute and it suits her.

Not sure how it will suit her when she's older, we'll still call her it but whether or not she'll be embarrassed by it is another thing. (she's only 5 just now).

Maybe try the initial thing then? So it can be a pet name but she'll have something else to go on if she doesn't like it?

I do love it though!

katnkittens Sun 04-Oct-09 23:15:33

The main character in the stage show 'wicked' (prequel to the wizard of Oz) is named Elpheba nn Elphie. She is a green misunderstood witch

That;s the first thing that came into my head but that may be because my daughter has been in rehersals to play her for ages so I know the show inside out....hmm

I think it's cute as a nn.

justbeenforapromenade Wed 07-Oct-09 06:11:39

Thanks,

Bucharest - she just wouldn't! Even if she were voluptuous I think the name is lovely - scummy - can be down-to-earth in an Elsie type way

Jamie - rather prescriptive, no? Many forms exist.

I love it but have a bit of an aversion to the 'ie' names and do think it rather nicknamey. Which beautiful name could it be short for?

Do I like Elfriede? Hmm - I do think it will grow on me.

There is also the glut of Evies, and Elsies to contend with, might just settle for Pearl grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now