Talk

Advanced search

Girls shortlist

(8 Posts)
willow5 Tue 29-Sep-09 11:28:30

Hi, we're looking for a girls name that works in both English and the Scandinavian languages. It will be a sibling for Maya. Please let me know what you think of our shortlist and feel free to add alternatives
Thanks!

India
Annie
stella
Lila (interested to know how people would pronounce this name, lee-la or ly-la)

3LegsandNoTail Tue 29-Sep-09 11:32:27

I have an Anna known as Annie, thanks to my ds (4), so obviously love this. India is also v pretty. I know a baby Lila, pronounced ly-la. Stella always sounds quite harsh to me.

southernbelle77 Tue 29-Sep-09 12:20:56

Like Annie and Lila (I would pronounce it Lee-la when first seeing it). Not too keen on India and really don't like Stella,

florence2511 Wed 30-Sep-09 05:06:45

I prefer Estella to Stella. Sounds more gentle IYSWIM.

All other names are lovely, particularly Annie.

Would love to call a DD Annie, but together with our surname the poor thing would sound like a cowgirl!!

nooka Wed 30-Sep-09 06:07:09

I like Estelle/Stella, and I have a small cousin Lila (lyla). Personally I would avoid picking a name that was quite so similar to Maya though, partly because it's a bit of a tongue twister . Prefer Anna or Ann(e) to Annie as a given name. I really don't like India much.

What about Frieda, Asa, Freya, Adele, Eva, Heidi, Hanna, Irene - looks like there are quite a names with English/Scandinavian roots. Maybe the Vikings brought them over?

We had a neighbour called Annika, and my dd was friends with an Erika.

vess Wed 30-Sep-09 06:30:43

Lila (Lee-la).
Goes best with Maya out of the three.
Lovely meaning too.
Would have used it for dd2, but doesn't go with our surname.

KleineMaus Wed 30-Sep-09 09:04:32

I had both Stella and Anna on my longlist and also Annika. Shortlist currently consists of Astrid and Ingrid which are also pretty Scandinavian.

Wattinger Wed 30-Sep-09 11:16:18

I like Annie best and Stella is cool.

I know a few little Lilas (in London) and it is always pronounced Ly-la. You might find this a bit too similar to Maya?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now