Talk

Advanced search

Sons name similar to mothers name?

(9 Posts)
tummytickler Sat 26-Sep-09 16:19:18

We love Clarence for a boy, but my name is Claire - are they too similar? Would it look as though i had named him after me or something weird like that?
It's sililarity to my name put us off using it with ds1 and ds2, but now i am not to sure (especially as the only other names dh likes are Ulysses and Lazarus at the moment - gone off everything else apparently! This is a bit odd as his fav names for girls are really short and simple - Hilda, Mary and Sally!)

annasmami Sat 26-Sep-09 17:02:14

I think Clarence is fine, as it's unlikely to be shortened to anything resembling Claire, is it?

Avendesora Sat 26-Sep-09 17:08:43

I would go for something else.

belgo Sat 26-Sep-09 17:12:28

It's fine, not too similar.

MaMight Sat 26-Sep-09 17:13:48

Clarry can be short for Clarence which sounds a lot like Clairey. Are you a name-shortening, diminutive-adding sort of family?

Anya4 Sat 26-Sep-09 19:39:46

I think its fine, I know a Mum called Carole with a dd Caroline,
A Mum called Linda with a dd Lindsey
a Mum called Eve with a ds called Adam
A Dad called Oliver with a dd Olivia

With all of them you momentarily think about it when you first meet them, but in the most part they will always be referred to separately.

Don't think its a problem at all. If you like it, go for it!!

Scottie22 Sat 26-Sep-09 20:37:12

I know someone whose ds is Samuel and dd is Samantha....

My dd has a similar sounding name to me with the same initial but I love her name so wasn't going to let it worry me!

If you like it - go for it!!

thesecondcoming Sat 26-Sep-09 21:27:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaMight Sun 27-Sep-09 06:38:25

I knew a Martin and Christina who called their children Martina and Christian.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now