Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone chosen a name that doesn't 'work' with your surname?

(30 Posts)
Cortina Sat 26-Sep-09 09:33:11

I mean a name like 'Scarlet' with the surname 'Rivers' or something like that.

Tempted to go for one that is in 'risky' territory. Something like India Summer not quite Teresa Green but edging dangerously (?) towards.

I love the first name so much I am sorely tempted, is this always a crime? Would it really lead to teasing? Do you know any that fall into this category? Thanks

TitsalinaBumsquash Sat 26-Sep-09 09:38:04

I really think it depends what the name is, some people just dont twig, i went to school with a boy calle Mika Litorus he and several others were oblivious to the sniggering.

purepurple Sat 26-Sep-09 09:44:56

DH has a boss called Mike Hunt (I know it's an old one, but that really is his name)
My mum had a friend called Theresa Brown.
I have a relative called Ken Wood.

ninedragons Sat 26-Sep-09 09:49:30

I wouldn't.

My favourite baby name (since I was about 20) rhymed with DH's surname, so it was ruled out.

Cortina Sat 26-Sep-09 10:12:18

To ninedragons - how annoying!

The thing is some I think are too paranoid about it. For example not having a Sam and an Ella. I don't see a problem with that, just call them Ella and Sam or something...

Is something like Harry Harvey ok for example?

I've mentioned my proposed combination of names and some pick up on it and say 'are you crazy' others don't at all. The combination of names in my case makes something which sounds pleasant if people 'get' it? Does that matter less?

4andnotout Sat 26-Sep-09 10:26:11

We recieved a few raised eyebrows when we named dd4 Tilly-Grace as dp's (and her's) surname is Lilley.

She just looked like a Tilly-Grace and it was THE name for her even though it hadnt been on the actual list.

We always say that she won't be a Lilley forever and it is very rarely that you are addressed by your full name.

Another name on our list was Scarlett but coupled with Lilley it sounded like a femine hygiene product.

RealityIsAnAuntie Sat 26-Sep-09 10:27:18

Message withdrawn

purepurple Sat 26-Sep-09 10:28:58

I know of a little baby called Lily Elliot, even I have trouble saying it.

Cortina Sat 26-Sep-09 10:29:17

I think Daisy Davis is ok. Mavis Davis, ok, maybe not.

smother Sat 26-Sep-09 11:58:58

Daisy Davis is sweet, Mavis Davis hmmm.....

CarmenSanDiego Sat 26-Sep-09 12:12:31

After the thread here, I now really want a baby called Boudicca but realised the last two syllables of our surname rhyme with it

Some here will say a lucky escape for imaginary dd3, I'm sure ;)

Cortina Sat 26-Sep-09 19:57:55

Rhyming is one thing is it worse than sounding like a place name or similar e.g. Emerald Forest, Scarlet Pond, India Buys, Rosie Cheeks, Cherry Brakewell, etc. Just not sure if we dare....

CarmenSanDiego Sat 26-Sep-09 20:13:39

I was at school with a Summer Berry. She didn't seem to mind. And there's a guy in media called Sandy Beech. I think as long as it's a pretty image, it's ok. I'd LOVE to be called Emerald Forest!

But Rosie Cheeks or something is a bit oo-er and I wouldn't do that

Cortina Sat 26-Sep-09 20:16:17

Interesting. I guess the child will always be memorable!

DiamondHead Sat 26-Sep-09 20:22:31

I knew of a Lee King.

Cortina Sat 26-Sep-09 20:25:04

There are apparently people with the names: Izzy Kidding, Isolde House, Ivy League etc.

bellissima Sat 26-Sep-09 21:09:45

Knew a Luke Wright (look left, look right again...)

GibberingGinger Sat 26-Sep-09 21:54:53

I think you are drawn to things you can't have. I love the names Ruth, Rosie and Rory, but they really don't go with my surname Ross. The fact I can't use them just makes me want them more!

JoInScotland Sun 27-Sep-09 00:16:52

I think if you put thought and feeling into the name, it has to be better than some out there.... I went to school with children named James Bond, Elizabeth Taylor, etc.

Where was the "imagination" factor?

CaptainNancy Sun 27-Sep-09 00:19:01

As long as it's not Ford Cortina.... wink

smother Sun 27-Sep-09 10:03:53

or Cortina Storm.

sweetkitty Sun 27-Sep-09 10:11:28

I wanted to call DD2 Millie but with our surname it would rhyme with Millipede - not good

Also anything starting with R is out for us too

merryandmad Sun 27-Sep-09 10:23:52

I have a cousin called Charlotte.

Her surname is Shaw. It is a bit of a mouthful, but C. Shaw always got a smile rather than any serious teasing.

BellaBear Sun 27-Sep-09 11:08:00

There were so many names we couldn't use, with the surname Cox. Even just Rosie, for instance, sounds rude.

snowshoes Mon 28-Sep-09 11:21:44

[quote]I wouldn't.

My favourite baby name (since I was about 20) rhymed with DH's surname, so it was ruled out. [/quote]

Ditto. Except I'd had my heart set on this name since I was about 5. And it's a boy's name. And of course I have a house full of boys now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now