Talk

Advanced search

Does it matter if children have same initial?

(23 Posts)
RipMacWinkle Sat 26-Sep-09 05:57:56

We have a DS and are currently expecting DC2. We don't know what we're having and don't plan on finding out. We have a boy's name sorted with a different initial so no problem. But for a girl, our current favourite would give us the same initial

So my question is... do you think it would matter if we had a DS and a DD with the same initial? Would it be too confusing?

barbiebigpants Sat 26-Sep-09 06:10:31

all my family have the same initial...my parents and my sister....the only time it got confusing is when i was in my teens and the mail came addressed to initial and then the surname, never knew if it was for my mum, me or sis hmm

nooka Sat 26-Sep-09 06:22:42

dh and I have the same initial and it is a nuisance. Also what if you have any more children - will they have to have that initial too? I think it's a slippery slope grin

girlsyearapart Sat 26-Sep-09 06:26:06

Hi was just about to say the same as Barbie. Dad and my sister have same initial and were always opening each others post.
dd2 and my fil have same initial too and the odd occasion that she gets post(she's only 1!) I think it's been sent to the wrong house.
But no I don't think it's a problem. My nieces have same initial if the actual names are different enough I think that's fine.

LadyMetroland Sat 26-Sep-09 06:28:21

I don't think it's a problem at all - esp if they're completely different types of name (eg: Edward and Evangeline).

Tambajam Sat 26-Sep-09 07:18:49

Don't think it's a problem.
The Duggar family have 18 kids (soon 19) and ALL have a name starting with J. They just accept their bank statements will be opened by someone else I guess.

SparklyGothKat Sat 26-Sep-09 07:25:21

DS1 and Ds2 have the same initial, DD2 and me have the same initial and DH and his brother have the same initial, the only problem we have is if mail comes with just the initial,

southernbelle77 Sat 26-Sep-09 07:44:19

I have the same initial as my sister. When we did anything official (like banking etc) we would use our middle names too so the post would come with two initials and make it easier. We sometimes open each others post, but not generally.

Not really a problem if you ask me.

Heifer Sat 26-Sep-09 07:56:46

I don't see a problem as long as you then don't feel compelled to give any future children the same initial. I do think that is naff when ALL the children have same initial, it makes me wonder if the parents got stuck on the alphabet grin

RipMacWinkle Sat 26-Sep-09 09:20:42

Brilliant! Thanks for all responses.

We really do like this name but this worried me a bit. I think it does help that one would be a boy, one a girl so hopefully things would get addressed to Miss etc

Thanks again

RipMacWinkle Sat 26-Sep-09 09:21:17

And no, we don't plan on having more than 2 but if we did, I definitely wouldn't be tied to this initial!!!

piscesmoon Sat 26-Sep-09 09:31:49

A boy and girl wouldn't be a problem at all but I wouldn't do it to DCs of the same sex because you have no way of sorting the post.

Firawla Sat 26-Sep-09 12:54:21

its not a major problem. if there are 2 names you like equally, then pick the other but if its your top choice and happens to be same initial i wouldnt let that stop you
the name we chose for dc2 if a girl, was same initial as ds1 but it is ds2 and our boys name has a different letter, so issue was avoided for now. i would have gone for the other name though even if same letter

alwayslookingforanswers Sat 26-Sep-09 13:19:25

I have 3 DS's with the same initials - they have different letter miiddle names thought - so full initials are

TYM
TSM
TMM

piscesmoon Sat 26-Sep-09 13:30:05

The problem is that once they get to their teens, and are regularly getting post,very few people use the middle initial. I would be very annoyed if I had a sister with the same initial and we had to find out, through trial and error, who a letter was for. It is so easy to avoid.

alwayslookingforanswers Sat 26-Sep-09 13:32:25

no we shall just do the same as southern did with her sister - bank stuff etc "first" name will be both their names.

and lets face it - that stage only last a couple of years - then they leave home and get their post delivered to their own address - for the rest of their lives.

piscesmoon Sat 26-Sep-09 13:37:47

Mine seem to have been getting post for ever and it very rarely uses the 2nd initial-I agree that it eventually doesn't matter but it would be highly annoying at the time.

My other problem is that I send post on-I wouldn't know which one to redirect it on to.

alwayslookingforanswers Sat 26-Sep-09 13:39:53

ahh but I've already discovered that you leave the "middle name" blank, and put both names in the "first name" box they treat them both as first names.

piscesmoon Sat 26-Sep-09 13:45:12

Not many people know that! I didn't.

3littlefrogs Sat 26-Sep-09 14:02:05

When they start getting lots of post, have their own bank accounts and student loans, rent bills, driving licences etc, different initials will be a godsend - the same initials will be a real pain.

RustyBear Sat 26-Sep-09 14:14:04

DH and SIL have the same initials - MIL actually said it was so she only had to get one lot of name tapes. (Anyone else, I'd have said they were joking, but I've known MIL for 35 years & haven't detected a sense of humour yet...)

As they were Mr and Miss it didn't cause many problems, except for when they both booked driving tests at the same time and it proved too much for the DVLC to cope with - they banked both cheques, but only gave them one appointment.

diddl Sat 26-Sep-09 16:14:44

But doesn´t post always have a title as well?

ludog Sat 26-Sep-09 16:19:27

dds 2 &3 have the same initial. Dh and dd1 have the same initial....I am the odd one out!! It hasn't caused any problems so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now