Talk

Advanced search

Melisande and/or Octavia & Petrina

(38 Posts)
Cortina Sat 26-Sep-09 05:42:09

I like Melisande (I think this appears in a French opera as well as an Enid Blyton book I remember from childhood)!

Not sure if anyone has ever heard of a child/baby with name? What are your thoughts?

Octavia - another on my list but I've gone off it since I heard someone shouting it in a shopping centre.

Coming around to Petrina but unsure?

LadyMetroland Sat 26-Sep-09 06:37:59

Melisande - never heard of it, but I quite like it. Although child would spend it's life being called Melissa and/or having to spell its name out.

Octavia - not my cup of tea, too haughty and standoffish

Petrina - ditto above

Buda Sat 26-Sep-09 06:43:26

Have a good friend called Petrina. I like it.

Not keen on Melisande or Octavia.

Kayzr Sat 26-Sep-09 07:10:09

Love Octavia.I have a friend whose DD has that name.

Not sure about Melisande but Petrina is nice.

CarmenSanDiego Sat 26-Sep-09 07:14:53

Love Melisande! That's really unusual.

Not so keen on Petrina or Octavia. I have to agree with LadyMetroland that they sound a bit haughty.

belgo Sat 26-Sep-09 07:52:59

Melisande - smelly sand
Petrina - latrina

Octavia is ok.

differentID Sat 26-Sep-09 07:59:01

Petrina, Haughty? haha tell that to my sis! she's the least haughty snobby person in the world. She's annoying and loud and pushy, but she always shortens her name to Trina.

pinkthechaffinch Sat 26-Sep-09 08:56:02

I think Melisande /was a mythical water witch (well, at least she was in an Anya Seton novel!)

Very nice IMO.

Also like Octavia-good feminist name-not sure about Petrina-sounds a bit like pet food.

PuppyMonkey Sat 26-Sep-09 09:01:03

I'm sorry, but I'm PMSL at the idea of someone shouting "Octavia, Octavia!!" in a shopping centre. grin grin Wouldn't get that round where I live you see.

Not keen on any of them tbh. All sound really snobby and pretentious to me.

mrswoolf Sat 26-Sep-09 11:16:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HidingFromTheDM Sat 26-Sep-09 11:18:24

Not keen on any of them really. It's just my opinion, but they all sound very haughty to me.

Sorry blush

RealityIsAnAuntie Sat 26-Sep-09 11:20:40

Message withdrawn

MintyCane Sat 26-Sep-09 11:24:36

Melisande would be shortened to Meli which could lead to smelly Meli and Petrina is a cat food Reality is correct grin Octavia is a bit mad old aunt.

jemart Sat 26-Sep-09 11:26:12

all a bit snooty. sorry.

TheHeadbangingWombat Sat 26-Sep-09 11:43:49

No no and no.

And in the book you remember from childhood Melisande was stuck up and snobby and was often referred to as Smellisande.

Cortina Sat 26-Sep-09 11:44:56

That's right! It's one of the lesser known EBs isn't it and a good one from memory

TheHeadbangingWombat Sat 26-Sep-09 11:50:05

Those were the Six Cousins series or Mistletoe Farm series. They were my favourite EB books.

TheHeadbangingWombat Sat 26-Sep-09 11:50:43

Well those and the Willow Farm books.

Cortina Sat 26-Sep-09 11:53:23

O/T but Willow Farm/Six Cousins - wasn't there a wandering vagrant with wisdom called Tammylan? Maybe I should add Tammylan to my boys list! There's a thought!

There was also Darrell Rivers in the Malory Towers series so I could add Darrell to the list? (EB chose that one as her second husband's surname was Darrell Waters).

MarianneM Sat 26-Sep-09 11:58:21

Debussy wrote on opera called Pelleas & Melisande which is lovely - as is the name Melisande. Go for it!

TheHeadbangingWombat Sat 26-Sep-09 12:00:17

Tammylan was from Cherrytree Farm.

Cortina Sat 26-Sep-09 12:01:02

Wow, check you! I thought I was a fan

Cortina Sat 26-Sep-09 12:02:21

Thanks for the opera reference, thought it was but had no clue what it was. What's the country of origin/origins of 'Melisande' then?

TheHeadbangingWombat Sat 26-Sep-09 12:03:42

I have a very odd memory. I can't remember something I was told a few minutes ago but I can remember tiny details of events that happened 15 years ago and books that I read as a child.

Cortina Sat 26-Sep-09 12:04:55

I'm a bit like that too, hence the Tammylan memory.

I am hopeless with names (when people are introduced) at parties.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now