Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of Mimi?

(16 Posts)
Cortina Sat 26-Sep-09 05:34:38

Met a little girl around 6 with this name. Quite unusual and suited her. Would you consider?

nooka Sat 26-Sep-09 05:48:09

Not as a full name, as it sounds very babyish. dd had a friend called Miriam who was known as Mimi by her family, and I think that was sweet, but assume that she will grow up as Miriam, as that's the name she used as school.

HollyGoHeavily Sat 26-Sep-09 07:40:52

It would be a contender if I was having a poodle.

For a child - fine as a nickname but it needs to be a shortened version of something a bit less cutesy. Miriam, Margaret, Melissa maybe?

southernbelle77 Sat 26-Sep-09 07:45:56

Yes, as the others, it's ok as a nn, but I wouldn't use it in it's own right.

fairimum Sat 26-Sep-09 08:07:02

I know of an Amelia with nn mimi - she is a baby though!

belgo Sat 26-Sep-09 08:10:17

Nickname for Cosima I think.

bellissima Sat 26-Sep-09 08:18:52

Wasn't it the name or nn of Tom Cruise's first wife? I rather like but see how people might think its a nn - but does that matter - would become established.

sleepwhenidie Sat 26-Sep-09 08:24:44

Cute on a (cute) little girl but I just can't imagine taking a grown woman named Mimi seriously....unless her name really, really didn't suit her of course, in which case there is also a problem, non?

diddl Sat 26-Sep-09 12:02:13

I like it.
I think it´s fine for a baby, child and adult.

NellyTheElephant Sat 26-Sep-09 12:51:20

I like it as a nickname. I know two Amelia's who go by the nickname of Mimi, and it is almost identical to my own nickname, but I would never use it as a given name. As I said, my nickname is almost identical and although I am happy with it amongst friends and family I would never have been happy with it in the workplace, it's just too babyish and so professionally I have always been known by my full name.

purepurple Sat 26-Sep-09 12:54:31

I know a Mimi.
She is 3 and her name is beginning to sound really daft. her full name is Amelia but nobody calls her that.
It did suit her as a baby, though.
But it is an example of parents who are very short-sighted in their choice of names, and pick sweet souding baby names without any thought of how it will sound when she is older or as an adult.

Leda Sat 26-Sep-09 13:16:38

It's my mum's name (full name Maria) so I'm used to it on an adult. I like it.

Pinner35 Sat 26-Sep-09 13:19:59

My boss is called Mimi.....she's Chinese American and her Mother chose it because it means "small". She is indeed petite. I like it but for that reason I wouldn't use it myself.

Jenbot Sat 26-Sep-09 13:24:23

DH wondered (unfortunately, accidentally aloud) regarding 3 year old twins with the names Mimi and Scarlett "Why do they have stripper names?".

belgo Sat 26-Sep-09 16:00:09

grin jenbot

HecatesTwopenceworth Sat 26-Sep-09 16:02:07

She won't be a cute baby for ever.

Grandma Mimi. Headteacher Mimi. Lawyer Mimi. Doctor Mimi. My mum Mimi...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now